WCQ: Hungary vs Romania - March 22, 2012 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 299 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2013, 13:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

WCQ: Hungary vs Romania - March 22, 2012

I have been thinking about our current roster and possible set-ups, that would make the best of our capacities yet would also provide a dynamic team, responding to today's foci. At this point I am at two set-ups:

1. The mobile version.

This would be a 4:1:1:2:1:1 - which might look awkward on paper, but is based on the players we have (our thin roster) and their strengths - and what we need. It would look like this

x___x___x___x
______x______
______x______
x___________x
______x______
______x______

It could also be conceived as a 4:1:4:1, of course, but I wanted to emphasize the mobility and the high demands put on those single x-es. Let me explain:

- first, a tradition four person defense, with Varga - Roli - Korcsmar - Kadar, which seems to be Egri's preferred line-up (ie Varga as RB)

- in front of them, a strong DM, such as Pinter.

- in front of him, a very mobile Hajnal,. who would be tasked with covering the entire DM and middfield areas, ie to run back and forth, bring up the ball from the DM line etc. I would not play Hajnal as pure DM, because he has shown (in the game with Norway) that in that case he gets stuck in the DM line, and there is no support for the strikers. But having Pinter as a strong, traditional DM, would allow Hajnal both the work rate in defense, and the covering of space in attack, that would make for a mobile bringing up of the ball. Let us also not forget that Pinter is more than capable of pairing up with Hajnal in bringing up the ball, so actually we would have a 2 attacking DM/mid field. However, I would make it very clear to Hajnal that his task would be to be in front of Pinter, in principle - it is good to know which is everyone's stable position, and they can improvise as needed, but then return to it.

- the literal midfield line would have, on the wings, Juji (L) and Koman (R); their role is also classical, as wingers, to participate both in building offense and in defensing on that flank.

- in front of them would be Rudi, for whom the best role is second striker. I started in fact this whole arrangement from the fact that I really do not like the lone-striker arrangement, not for HU, not for any other team; and I have seen how helpless Szalai can be, in such conditions, because he is a finisher, but to be that, he needs to be able to have a strong lines behind him, and spend his time in the opposite penalty area (as he should!). One of my favorite arrangements, then, is the two -striker arrangement, and Rudi + Szalai are excellently fitting for that. However, it is again important to clarify that Rudi will be tasked as a mobile attacking midfielder, who has to cover the midfield to second-striker zone. This would allow both for a thicker coverage of the midfield, especially in the sefensive phase; as well as for Rudi to go further up, when we attack, and when Hajnal comes in to complete the midfield line. IN other words, in defense we would look like this:

x___x___x___x
____x___x____
x_____x_____x
______x______

but in attack we would look like this

x___x___x____x
______x_______
x_____x______x
____x_________
________x_____

because in the defensive phase Rudi would pull back to midfield (and Hajnal would go to the DM line), while in the attacking phase Hajnal would come up to fill the midfield gap (and Rudi would advance to second striker).

- up front, of course, Szalai Adam, finisher.
Here's then the set-up, with names:

Varga---Roli---Korcsmar---Kadar

----------Pinter--------------

----------Hajnal--------------

Koman---------------------Juji

----------Rudi----------------

----------Szalai---------------

There is a second formation at which I've been thinking, which has not been tried at NT, but I will describe it later, as this post is long enough, and there is enough information here for the moment.

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)

Last edited by ente; February 20th, 2013 at 13:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 299 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2013, 21:34 Thread Starter
Star Player

2. The Barcelona 4:3:3.

This is a formation that has not been tried at the current Nt. Here's how it would look:

x___x___x___x
x_____x_____x
x___________x
______x______

or

x___x___x___x
x___________x
______x______

The back four:
- Vanczak - Roli - Korcsmar - Kadar.

The DM/mid three. Here we have several options, which I will detail below.
- the better DM option, with Varga - Hajnal - Pinter (or alternately Varga - Pinter - Hajnal).
- the fall-back option, with Koman - Pinter - Hajnal, which is slower and less aggressive, and in which case Varga would be sent back to RB instead of Vanczak. Not preferred.

The attacking/mid three:
- Rudi - Szalai - Juji.

Explanation:
The great advantages of this formation for our current roster/NT, is that it would make use of
- our brilliant aggressive DM line
- our strikers' pair of Rudi + Szalai, to which we would add the aggressiveness of Juji (who is also naturally a striker)

Let's get back to that key DM/mid line. The preferred option is the "better DM" one, with
Varga - Hajnal - Pinter. The great advantage here is that it would definitely take care of one of our vulnerabilities, namely the defense on the flanks (wings). In this 4:3:3 formation, we would have three (3!) layers of defense on each flank (wing). On left, Juji - Pinter - Kadar; on right, Rudi - Varga - Vanczak. At the same time, however, we would use the fact that our DMs are extremely aggressive and attacking minded, without however having them get stuck in defense. Both Pinter on left, and Varga on right, are capable of taking the ball (on passes) up to the opponent's penalty area, allowing huge mobility for the attacking three (Juji, Rudi, Szalai), who can run in, zig-zag etc (and both Rudi and Juji are prone to move freely). Hajnal in the middle would certainly be able to carry the ball forward.

The vulnerability of this system (or DM/mid line), however, is in Hajnal, as he would be asked to do a lot in the center, to cover a vital area as DM/mid. He is more than willing to do that, but his physical abilities might not be. He could be subbed at half with Koman. Even better, there is the alternative line of Varga - Pinter - Hajnal, with Pinter at center; because Pinter is more of a natural there, and this reduces the area Hajnal has to cover back and forth (he only has to run up and down on the left, being backed by Kadar behind and Juji in front of him).

The other question mark is that this requires a lot of flexibility and technically advanced thinking from our players, Barca has the players who can think like this - were also trained so, and have the technical ability to solve harder situations with quick passing. I am not saying that our guys would not be able, but would take a bit to accustom themselves to this. Also, it requires very aggressive defending from ALL the players, from every line, right where they are. The key in Barcelona is that the attacking three (mid) are truly the first line of defense, up there, at the opponent's 30-40 m line; Juji and Rudi would have to very consciously do that, so that Hajnal or Pinter in the middle would not remain uncovered.

But I do like this system, exactly because it demands mobility and flexibility (of the mind, of the legs, and of the team) and technical sophistication, but also offers a lot of aggressiveness, while not neglecting the defense.

We are also very lucky to have aggressive-minded defenders, who could push up the defense line as needed, both defending and attacking. Do you guys realize that almost all defenders, from Vanczak, to Roli, to Korcsmar, have scored, and not just once, in their respective teams (and Kadar gave the crucial assist in the Turkey game, from their penalty area)? Vanczak was even top scorer in his team. This mobility of the defensive line would allow for the Varga - Hajnal - Pinter DM/mid trio to push up their own line and play as true midfielders, when attacking; and again all three of them are more than capable of playing that role, of midfielders. And that, at its turn, would allow the Rudi - Szalai - Juji trio to be very flexible and mobile (and dangerous) up front.

Again, this would necessitate some work, but would be worth trying, as it is mobile and dangerous. And Gera would be perfect (!!!) for the role of central DM/mid assigned above to Hajnal; his work rate and thinking would allow him to cover that mid area, no problem.

Here it is, with names:

Vanczak---Roli---Korcsmar---Kadar

Varga ---------------------Pinter
--------------Hajnal-------------

Rudi--------------------------Juji
--------------Szalai-------------

Alternatives:
- at center DM, instead of Hajnal: Pinter / Koman (later Gera)
- on left DM, instead of Pinter: Hajnal / Koltai
- on right DM, instead of Varga: Gyurcso/Koman (with Varga pushed back as DM)
- attacking right, instead of Rudi: Koman / Gyurcso

So, there are some alternatives, but the standard line above, with Hajnal / Pinter in mid DM, would be the standard, because of using our great DMs (and I did not forget Elek, who could play whichever role).

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)
post #3 of 299 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2013, 22:02
Legend

Teams: Man Utd, Luch Energiya, Haladas, Hungary
So who's going? LOL

post #4 of 299 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2013, 22:11
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Sanyi
post #5 of 299 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2013, 22:29
Legend

post #6 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 04:38
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
I'm going to BP anyway. have to watch the game on the telly then. I guess will do so in a kocsma.

anyway, I just hope Romania doesn't get some punishment until september, because I have already booked my flight to Bucuresti too.
post #7 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 12:03
V.I.P
Forum Manager
International

Teams: HUNGARY, MTK, foreign teams with Magyars
Don't worry, Romania will be punished just after that game
post #8 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 12:47 Thread Starter
Star Player

Here's another question - who wants to go to WC 2014? I am starting to plan. With or without Hu NT there (my hope is for Hu Nt to get to Euro 16, in fact).

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)
post #9 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 14:00
World Class Player

Teams: Magyarorszag, Fradi
If Hun qualifies no doubt I will be there. Im going to get a whole csapat of Magyarok from the Toronto area, and we are going to go. Peti josz te is
post #10 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 15:22
Legend

I would love to go. Might start saving now just in case
post #11 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 15:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Well, you'd have to, since tickets will become available in the fall already, as far as I know.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...on2_findoc.pdf

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)
post #12 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 19:26
World Class Player

Btw Szabics might be out for the Romania game

http://www.csakfoci.hu/node/132609

I really hope he is ok.... We have Rudi and Szalai obviously, but Szabics is a great force for us IMHO....

Looking at the comments, Nikolics is very much wanted by the fans in his place, "IF" Szabi is for sure out...

I really wonder how Bode played... its really a shame we could not watch and fully analyse our last match :/

Only a month to go I hope it flys by...
post #13 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 19:32
World Class Player

Just read on MLSZ that he might be ok

Az első diagnózisok alapján úgy tűnt, hogy hosszabb kihagyás vár rám, én azonban most úgy látom, hogy egy rövid pihenés után pályára léphetek. Ezen a héten nem gyakorolhattam a csapattal, de úgy készülök, hogy hamarosan bekapcsolódok a munkába, és március 22-én pályára léphetek a románok elleni kulcsfontosságú vb-selejtezőn - mondta az mlsz.hu-nak Szabics.

He says at first it looked as if he would be ruled out of foci for a long while, but now it looks much better and he might only need to rest for a short period of time before stepping onto the field again. He is getting ready, for that he will be in full form for the Romania game.

Get well soon Szabics!

Another reason why I really want him to be ok is that, he has played and scored vs Steaua, which is made up of half, or more then half of romanias team. He already did like a pre test and knows what to expect.
post #14 of 299 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2013, 21:56
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: USA/Hungarian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTAL TONI View Post
Another reason why I really want him to be ok is that, he has played and scored vs Steaua, which is made up of half, or more then half of romanias team. He already did like a pre test and knows what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ente View Post
Here's another question - who wants to go to WC 2014? I am starting to plan. With or without Hu NT there (my hope is for Hu Nt to get to Euro 16, in fact).
How much is this gonna cost? If we qualify it would be a dream:hopeful: May consider if don't have to mortgage future to do it.
post #15 of 299 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:07
World Class Player

If Hungary makes it, MANY Magyars will be there. Firstly because of the long 20+ year wait, but also there are a lot of Hungarians that live in south america. Should be packed
post #16 of 299 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:18
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: USA/Hungarian NT
As long as magyars have had to wait..I don't doubt it.
post #17 of 299 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:55 Thread Starter
Star Player

WC is such a fun thing in itself, in terms of going, it does not matter for me if Hu qualifies - I hope to be able to make it. If HU NT is there, even more so, but, as said, I do not expect them to qualify this time. My hopes are with Euro 16, for that.

As for prices, tickets are not exorbitant, it is travel and stay that you'd have to manage. Aron you must have some Brazilian friends...

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)
post #18 of 299 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2013, 13:01
Legend

Indeed, I don't think we'll qualify either. Coming 2nd in the group is tough enough never mind the playoffs.
post #19 of 299 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2013, 13:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

My aim would be for the Nt to finish 2nd. That would be the achievement I would aim for, and for which I would be very happy. On a more fundamental level, to see the team continue to become a team, with a steady style and roster, and steady results.

Already, we have achieved something that I was only dreaming about in the Koeman era - to be a team that has a direction, that wants to win and plays to win, and that, although it loses sometimes, has a constant stream of results typical of a mid-ranking team.

We are there. Our frustrations with the draws in the friendlies are more than justified, but they still fit this image. My worry, though, is that the best results are an outcome of extraordinary effort - Sweden, FInland away, Turkey at home, and less a steady , solid performance level.

My hope and goal, then, would be to transform these types of results with teams of equal weight into a constant, by 2014. IN other words, being able to beat a Turkey, Romania, to not be extraordinary results, but normal outcomes of our strength. I think we are on the verge of that.

But let us not forget that there will be many youth still integrated into the team in the year and a half to come. The team of 2016 will look significantly different from today's.

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)
post #20 of 299 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2013, 16:11 Thread Starter
Star Player

3 weeks until the game.

Mitropa Cup (1927-1939)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in