Hercegfalvi - Don't mess with the Zoltťn - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 00:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Hercegfalvi - Don't mess with the Zoltán

Wizards’ attack needs more firepower

Zoltan Hercegfalvi may not understand much English. But he speaks the universal language of soccer.

So when Wizards assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin shouted “Golden Goal!” toward the end of a training session Friday morning, Hercegfalvi knew exactly what to do and buried the game-winner with a quick shot.

The goal-challenged Wizards, who can use some of that finishing firepower during the second half of the MLS season, plan to sign Hercegfalvi, 29, a veteran of professional soccer in Hungary.

Hercegfalvi, a sturdy, 5-foot-11, 175-pounder, has been idle for the last four weeks since his season ended in Hungary, and won’t be available for today’s game at New England. He’ll have two full weeks of preparation for the Wizards’ next game, on July 25 when David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy visit CommunityAmerica Ballpark.

“He’s strong, he can hold up the ball well, he’s a decent finisher in front of the goal, and a good passer of the ball, so he’s an all-round good soccer player,” Wizards coach Curt Onalfo said Friday after watching Hercegfalvi set up one goal and score another in a seven-against-seven scrimmage among reserve players.

“Right now, we’re not scoring enough goals. We’re creating a lot of chances, and goals often come in bunches, so it’s a matter of plugging away. I feel very confident with the group we have, and it’s nice to have some more attacking options.”

Hercegfalvi’s assist in the scrimmage was more impressive than his goal as he chipped a soft pass that pass that rookie Austin Williams easily converted into a goal.

Forward Adam Cristman, who is hoping to get his first playing time of the MLS season after being sidelined all year because of a foot injury, was teamed with Hercegfalvi, and was impressed.

“I’ve been training with him the past two or three days since he’s been in, and he’s a good player, and he moves well,” said Cristman. “We’ve been partnered up in a couple of the drills, and we’ve done a good job of reading each other and working off and creating space and looking for the ball from the other guy.”

Hercegfalvi is coming off a season in which he scored 14 goals in 28 games for Honved FC, a first-division team in Hungary.

The Wizards have scored just 19 goals in 15 MLS games, and their average of 1.27 goals per game is tied with Chivas USA for ninth in the league. It’s hard scoring goals on tired legs, and the Wizards today will be playing their seventh match in three weeks, including three in SuperLiga, two in U.S. Open Cup and two in MLS.

During that stretch, the Wizards will have played in New England twice, Seattle, Minneapolis and St. Louis and are without second-leading goal scorer Davy Arnaud, who is with the U.S. national team, along with defender Jimmy Conrad; and without midfielder Roger Espinoza, who is with Honduras’ national team.

So adding some new life to the attacking end of the field may be just what the Wizards need.

“Our guys are getting to a point of the season where injuries happen, getting tired and we’ve played a ton of games in the past few weeks, so to be able to give those guys a rest and get some other guys up there is good,” said Cristman, who would love to face his former New England teammates today.

“We still have (Michael) Kraus and Abe (Thompson), so (forward) has become the most competitive position on our team right now.”

Source: kansascity.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 00:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

First pic of him I found training

Also with Pali bácsi back on the forum I hope this thread will become really active with reports from our American-Hungarian friends
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 01:45
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: USA/Hungarian NT
so there are two Hungarian Wizards now

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 01:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

I'm not feeling very creative today. I couldn't think of anything else But I can change it if you come up with something good
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 01:49
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I would think your answer would be "theres only ONE of those!"
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 01:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

LoL, I get the impression people think I'm in love with Ákos

Anyway, I found this interesting. He's on an 18 month loan. So is that basically a two season contract? I have no idea when the league starts and finishes
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 01:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Nice clip.

And so ends my latest, stiff, bland and restrained post so I don't get back in Benny's bad books. First time I've ever called him Benny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 02:00 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hercegfalvi hattrick against DVTK
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 02:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
What about 'The Other Zoltán'? lol Quite often Kengo Nakamura of the Japanese NT is referred to similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 02:15
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
LoL, I get the impression people think I'm in love with Ákos
but you are
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 02:41
Star Player

Teams: US, Revolution, Ferencvaros, Man Utd, Hungary
Hmm...

Interesting that he is going to KC. Of course, the GM there is a Magyar-American - Vermes, Peter who played at Gyor in the late 80s. He has a Magyar speaking person there to help him.

KC has won one MLS Cup when they had another Magyar-Dane at forward.

In the past couple of years, they have a game where they look like world beaters and the next week the lay an egg. They are like a mid-table EPL team you watch that have an even number of wins, ties, and losses.

They do have a problem at forward right now. They brought Claudio Lopez in from Argentina last year, but he has not been producing the goals they hoped he would.

They are only 4 points behind the leaders right now with a game in hand. So, he could be the player they need to push them forward in the 2nd half of the season.

"Why move around the world, if Eden was so near" - Neil Peart - Territories

Business Blogging Social Media Management Search Engine Optimization
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 03:18
World Class Player

Teams: Magyarorszag, Fradi
Thats SO SIKKKKKKKKKKKKKK that theres a mMagyar now here in North America... If i go to a Toronto fc game, and they play him... ill be cheering for him :P
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 04:03
Rookie

A couple more of Zoltan:

He had the assist on this goal in training on Thursday.

This is from Wednesday.

Some more on my blog backpost.net
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 04:10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali bácsi View Post
Hmm...

Interesting that he is going to KC. Of course, the GM there is a Magyar-American - Vermes, Peter who played at Gyor in the late 80s. He has a Magyar speaking person there to help him.

Vermes has made a few trips to Hungary and other countries in the area to scout. He has a few players on his list to watch for.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 04:17
World Class Player

Teams: Magyarorszag, Fradi
nice....The only way KC will become American champions is with a Magyar squad PBogdan should go on loan for halph a year to play A team futbal there :P
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 04:45
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali bácsi View Post

In the past couple of years, they have a game where they look like world beaters and the next week the lay an egg.
sounds like the perfect team for our Hercegfalvi
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2009, 11:01 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbinkc View Post
A couple more of Zoltan:

Some more on my blog backpost.net
Wow, thanks very much Welcome to xtratime! I hope you stick around so you can help us follow the progress of Zoltán and the wizards
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2009, 16:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Some info I have collected

The Wizards play at a temporary stadium with a capacity of 10,385 people. Currently they average just under 10.000. They sold out their last 5 games and the ones they didn't were due to a winter storm and a midweek game.

Zoltán has 6 players to compete for a place with. Lopez, Wolff, Thompson, Kraus, Cristman, and potentially Arnaud. Apparently they all move around from attacking midfield and striker Wolff is looked upon as a guaranteed starter when healthy. There is also injury concerns over Cristman.

Lopez, and Abe Thompson seem to be the biggest threats to his place. Lopez as in 'El Piojo'.

The league is very even with no major clubs that dominate and right now the wizards' attack has been poor so Zoltán has a really good opportunity to get in the team and keep his place.

Please don't shout at me if this info is not 100% accurate. I've just started learning about the Wizards and the MLS
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2009, 16:34
HAJRA MAGYAROK!!!!!!
Rising Star

Teams: Ferencvaros FTC
Full name Zoltán Hercegfalvi
Date of birth December 31, 1979 (age 29)
Place of birth Budapest, Hungary
Height 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
Playing position Striker
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2009, 16:34
HAJRA MAGYAROK!!!!!!
Rising Star

Teams: Ferencvaros FTC
prtty old

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in