Xtratime Community banner

Croatian coaches in Europe/Abroad

44K views 579 replies 57 participants last post by  HajdukSplit 
#1 ·
It's time for a separate thread. Enough of our coaches to keep a track of.

#2 ·
EUROPE
Slaven Bilic - West Ham United (ENG)
Igor Tudor - PAOK (GRE)
Nenad Bjelica - Spezia (ITA)
Robert Prosinecki - Azerbaijan National Team
Robert Jarni - Puskas Akademia (HUN)
Igor Jovicevic - Karpaty Lviv (UKR)
Ivan Juric - Crotone (ITA)

The most high profile manager is of course Bilic, the first Croatian to manage full time in the English Premier League after Zajec had a short interim spell at Portsmouth. Tudor gets a big opportunity at PAOK, a top 3 club in Greece with Euro pedigree. Bjelica seems to be another promising coach, having led Austria Wien in the Champions League and doing well at Spezia. Prosinecki is the only Croatian manager at NT level with Azerbaijan, so far unbeaten in official matches

Non-EU
Zlatko Dalic - Al-Ain (UAE)
Zlatko Kranjcar - Al-Ahli (QAT)
Branko Ivankovic - Persepolis (IRN)
Luka Bonacic - Al-Shahania (QAT)
Marijo Tot - Changchun Yatai (CHN)
Dragan Skocic - Foolad (IRN)
Goran Tomic - Tianjin (CHN)

The most successful by far is Zlatko Dalic who is making a name for himself in the Middle East. He has some success in the Asian CL as well leading Al-Ain to the semis one season. Kranjcar and Ivankovic with some success in Asia as well and probably at a point in their career where they are happy to stay there. Former Dinamo manager, Marijo Tot, has just been appointed a manager in China

Anybody else? There are probably some in lesser known leagues...

Igor Stimac has been linked with a move to Iran after being relegated with Zadar. There was a Croatian manager in the 2.BL named Tomislav Stipic but he was sacked after Aue was relegated

#14 ·
"F" = "F**king Awesome".

Seriously though, well done nezo for working with kids to improve their skills.

Unlike a lot of Europeans, I would like to see more Americans (and not freeloaders like Gerrard) break through. Progress has been made but it's inevitably slow.

The States produces a decent flow of keepers but my theory is that this is essentially due to the three main US sports involving hand to ball contact.

Brad Friedel, who retired last month, was a seriously excellent keeper IMO as well as being a top, top professional. If he wants to, he'll get a top coaching job easily.

Tim Howard has his "moments" but is also damn good (see last year's WC).

Outfield is more complicated but Dempsey has had a good carrer and my personal favourite was McBride, a highly underrated player (by the English).

#23 ·
I have a buddy of mine who's been doing it for years and is makes a heckuva lot of money on the side.

Tell him to keep at it, it could turn into something big someday.

The game needs refs too.

Cheersch

#27 ·
For some reason Slaven Bilic will not be managing West Ham's first game against an Andorran club in the EL qualifying, the role will be given to the youth team coach. It probably makes sense as West Ham will use mostly academy players with most of the first team just starting pre-season

#31 ·
How did Paok FC do today? :smileani:

#38 ·
Came out before the Europa League game and said the teams priority is the EPL opener this weekend, he fielded a reserve side in the game, only had 2 first 11 players, Nolan and someone else whos name escapes me. I wouldnt read too much into the Europa League games, EPL teams dont take it seriously and regularly field second string teams throughout the whole tournament.

#39 ·
West Ham leading 1-0 a the half against Arsenal. Probably wont end that way since there were a few occasions where WH made some last second block but not a bad half debut so far for Bilic. :D