Xtratime Community banner

Farewell to Piiroja (vs Iceland at home)

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  estfan 
#1 ·
I`ve don`t remember even before Poom or Oper last game such a big excitement. Not because of a game, but because it is Raio Piiroja testimonial match.

But yes, that noise before the match has shown, how loved Piiroja is in Estonia.

And he plays as a striker tomorrow :)

But why we aren`t so excited about other match (after saying goodby to Piiroja)? Because even Kostja Vassiljev alluded in media, that stuff with Pehrsson is not good at all. Especially with his tactics (return to 90s)

#2 ·
I don't think Vassiljev alluded that...nor are Pehrsson's tactics bad. It's just that our players are utter garbage. Results have not been that bad and it's clearly the lack of talent which is the problem, not the coach. You can't hope to win with half of the players from local league.

Look at Iceland's squad for example:

Väravavahid
Hannes Thor Halldorsson (1984) - Sandnes Ulf 27/0
Ögmundur Kristinsson (1989) - Randers FC 2/0
Ingvar Jonsson (1989) - IK Start 2/0

Kaitsjad
Birkir Mar Saevarsson (1984) - Hammarby IF 45/0
Ragnar Sigurdsson (1986) - FK Krasnodar 42/1
Kari Arnason (1982) - Rotherham United 39/2
Ari Freyr Skulason (1987) - OB 26/0
Hallgrimur Jonasson (1986) - OB 13/3
Jon Gudni Fjoluson (1989) - GIF Sundsvall 6/0
Hördur Björgvin Magnusson (1993) - Cesena Calcio 1/0
Haukur Heidar Hauksson (1991) - AIK 1/0

Poolkaitsjad
Olafur Ingi Skulason (1983) - Zulte Waregem 24/1
Emil Hallfredsson (1984) - Hellas Verona 46/1
Birkir Bjarnason (1988) - Pescara Calcio 36/4
Johann Berg Gudmundsson (1990) - Charlton Athletic FC 34/5
Rurik Gislason (1988) - FC København 35/2
Gylfi Thor Sigurdsson (1989) - Swansea City FC 28/9 (injured, won't play)
Gudlaugur Victor Palsson (1991) - Helsingborg IF 3/0
Runar Mar Sigurjonsson (1990) - GIF Sundsvall 3/1

Ründajad
Kolbeinn Sigthorsson (1990) - Ajax FC 27/16
Alfred Finnbogason (1989) - Real Sociedad 23/5
Jon Dadi Bödvarsson (1993) - Viking FK 10/1
Vidar Kjartansson (1990) - Jiangsu Guoxin-Sainty 3/0

they have plenty of players from top leagues despite of being a minuscule nation...we have Klavan and that's it.

#5 ·
Agree, he was terrible today, but trust me, he is our most talented striker still ;) Just need some playing in Torpedo after that spell in Blackpool.

Game was good. We was even more dominating side. Vassiljev (played just like in 2011), Jääger (must get to some good Central Europe club in the summer), Klavan, Kallaste, Dmitrijev and Teniste were my favourite today

#6 ·
Quite frankly we were lucky to get away with a draw here...Iceland had two legit penalties not given (Finnbogasson shirt grab and Teniste handball in the box) and wasted plenty of opportunities in the first half (could've been 0-3 at HT easily).

Iceland played their B-side btw, they left all their best players on the bench. Our defending was pretty horrible (especially in the 1st half), Iceland created scoring chances very easily. Even Klavan committed a horrible howler which could've easily ended in a goal.

Vassiljev was great and scored yet another world class goal for the NT (Silver Ball winner for sure ;) ). Zenjov's first touch was atrocious. At least we managed to create chances...exciting game but not exactly a solid performance overall.

#9 ·
I find it funny how everybody were super critical after the Switzerland game (where we faced a legit great side) but think this performance against Iceland B was very positive. Form both games we got the result which was expected: 0-3 vs Switzerland's strongest lineup away and 1-1 vs Iceland B at home is where we stand at the moment. If anything the defense was more solid in the Swiss game.

#11 ·
yeah, sure...still, two penalties not given to Iceland (and possibly even a red card in Finnbogason situation). We got pretty lucky there as this match could've basically been over in the first half.

I think in general our fans were too critical after the Switzerland game and too positive about this game. Iceland B side at home and the refs let us get away with murder and the end result was still a draw...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.