Xtratime Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkey is overated!

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  rs1000 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think so.

Lets just look back a little. For some years ago Turkey was considerd as a bad team. Then Galatasaray had some succes in Europe and suddenly the Turkish team was a team of worldclass. They also managed to make it to the semifinal in WC and the people in Turkey thought they really could win the whole cup. But what kind of teams did they get to face on their way?!

Senegal?!

Japan?!

------------

edited: Please, do not provoke other NT and club fans for insults and respect them

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh, Whats up with you now?

Are you mad or something?

Do you think I give a damn about your respect or even your opinions?

You lost and I am so damn happy about that!
You thought that you would beat us easily but guess what. We are a better team than you and that was proven last night.

-----

Edit: Do not insult anyone, please show respect while discussing!

#3 ·
This is funny. In my time at XT I have never ever encountered a Latvian Fan. But now, Latvia has it's finest hour and XT is flooded by Latvians who came out of their holes, some of em who have the nerves to be slagging off other countries for no reason.

Get back under your stone mate

:rolleyes:

#6 ·
This all sounds funny. Guys, why should we compare now teams, Latvia has won, and this thread actually is useless. Overrated - it can be the opinion of Latvian fans, so what? Do you`ve some problems with that? Even if we`re wrong - time will show that we`re wrong. However yest. some mates from NL and England also told me that they think Turkey is too overrated. You can think your own way, we`re just now stupidly finding problems.

#7 ·
Yes, one may find it so that Turkey is overrated or not, but today isn't the right day to discuss it and Latvia_Rocks! hasn't exactly been the most respectful if you read his threads in the Turkish forum.

#10 ·
Wally said:
Yes, one may find it so that Turkey is overrated or not, but today isn't the right day to discuss it and Latvia_Rocks! hasn't exactly been the most respectful if you read his threads in the Turkish forum.
Unfortunately i didn`t read posts there. Thought they do not want to see Latvian fans there after the game. But now i did a check, and really have to say my condolences too for Turkey nation for that. But you`ve to understand "good" latvians fans too, day like this does not come for us every year. Our celebrations are understanable i guess, just we shouldn`t involve Turkey name in them, it`d be the right one.

#11 ·
redbox said:
Unfortunately i didn`t read posts there. Thought they do not want to see Latvian fans there after the game. But now i did a check, and really have to say my condolences too for Turkey nation for that. But you`ve to understand "good" latvians fans too, day like this does not come for us every year. Our celebrations are understanable i guess, just we shouldn`t involve Turkey name in them, it`d be the right one.
Certainly they're a lot of good Latvian fans :), just like all other countries except the Dutch fancy dress orange army :tongue: and there's no point in putting anyone in the same kettle of fish cos of one poster.

BTW the guy who scored a few times Verpakovskis! how can he have not been bought by a bigger club already?!! guy looks good and I'm surprised that a team like Dynamo Kiev or Lokomotiv haven't signed him!

#12 ·
Wally said:
Certainly they're a lot of good Latvian fans :), just like all other countries except the Dutch fancy dress orange army :tongue: and there's no point in putting anyone in the same kettle of fish cos of one poster.

BTW the guy who scored a few times Verpakovskis! how can he have not been bought by a bigger club already?!! guy looks good and I'm surprised that a team like Dynamo Kiev or Lokomotiv haven't signed him!
It is caused i think by Latvian football system. Latvian football federation president is millionair Guntis Indriksons, and he also owns best latvians club "Skonto", where Māris Verpakovskis plays. Guntis Indriksons has invested a lot of money into football infrastructure, and now we see the results - only after 5 years, when he started all this. And thanks to him. So - obvious he`s willing to wait when some club will pay "good money" for Māris, in the same way he had sold Marians Pahars to "Southempton" and Stepanovs to "Arsenal" some time ago. Yest. heard him saying that a lot of European grand clubs are showing interest about him, but i do not know how true it is. The first Vulverhempton "Wanderers" club from premier league wanted to buy Māris, but they thought he has to grow up to play there. Now they are biting fingers cause it`s too late to get him :tongue: Time will see which clubs will buy Māris, but i believe it`ll be some better than "Wanderers"

#13 ·
Wally said:

I think Verpakovskis have not been bought because there were not many chances until now that scouts from good clubs can see him. He is playing in our championship, and it haven't big publicity outside Latvia.

#17 ·
vasja` said:
I don`t wanna get drunk, but it seems I will... :)
I`m watching the game for 4th time now :)
is your team that unbelievable ??:tongue:

on TV they showed the reactions of Latvians BEFORE and DURING the match...
Before the match EVERYONE was afraid of Türkiye and DURING the match they completely freaked out !!

well done !!

#18 ·
I also agree that Turkey was overrated after their 3rd place in the World Cup, but Latvia brought them back down to Earth. Well done, my baltic friends. :)

#19 ·
I think it is very hard NOT to overrate your own team especially when you acheive 3rd place in a WC!

I definately overrate England but so I should, its my national team!

#20 ·
OAnimal said:
I also agree that Turkey was overrated after their 3rd place in the World Cup, but Latvia brought them back down to Earth. Well done, my baltic friends. :)
I don`t think Turkey was overrated because they were playing really great football, ok, maybe I`m saying it because I wanted to see the World Cup final Portugal : Turkey cos` I really like these teams, but now I suppose Turkey team will make a change of generations, good bye Sukur... :) That`s just my opinion

#21 ·
Time will tell whether Turkey is overrated or not.
I believe we have a good national team with excellent players, but we couldn't play consistently as a team after the Confederation cup. Our game against Latvia is proof of our lack of concentration-how any team could let a 2-0 lead slip is beyond me.

Well Done to Latvia for their success.

About Turkey-I view football as part of history, it took turkey over 2 decades of hard work, investment in infrastructure, and alot of effort to get as far as she has. Previous to our world cup showing we had numerous EURO experiences and ourclubs did well in European competition. So IMHO, everything led upto the WC, anyone following football history would know that Turkey didn't show up overnight and this was a long process in the making.

Putting the quesiton of whether she is 'overrated or underrated' aside, it's obvious we have a good NT, and a competitive league. Even our mid-level clubs such as genclerbirligi or Gaziantepspor are doing well in the UEFA cup-proof of the level of quality in our league.

In time, it can only get better. We came in 3rd at the WC, it got to our heads, we lost our chance to qualify for a EURO for the first time in 10-15 years, now its time to get back up and continue the journey.

Football is a culture, and it takes time for nations to establish theselves. Perhaps we needed to experience such humiliation as a nation in order to mature as a footballing country as well, who knows?

At the end of the day, we'll be watching the EURO, wondering what Nihat or Ilhan Mansiz or Emre could've done had they been there.

Cheers to Latvia, hope to meet other teams at the next big tournament when we qualify with a younger and even more talented generation of players ;)

#22 ·
D-Lite, noone doubts that Turkey is much more better team than Latvia, your players are individually skillful. Almost all of the world speaks about your team. Latvia has nothing common with this. Small country with a population 2,4 million. For us it was big success, for you - bad nightmare. But i wouldn`t agree that we won only cause Turkey played so awful, that we had nothing left, as only scoring goals one by one. I would prefer to call it supernatural performance from Latvia side, and not so good perforiming Turkey NT, as we are used to see. Lets`say it was a bad line period for your football team, every sport team has it - and there`s nothing to make a tragedy. I believe that your youth is capable to become a good change for existing team. You`ve players to choose from, and that`s nice. There`s need time to make it, that`s all. I was big fan of galatasaray when they won UEFA cup, as i remember then George Hagi played there, and team was excellent. So just keep believing in team, cheers.

#23 · (Edited)
I agree RedBox, Latvia deserved this because they played with their heart and soul. You also have a good coach who knows the strengths of your players and studied the weaknesses of the Turkish team.

For the first time they faced qualifying in a major tournament and they had to not only defeat a good team, but a good team with a 'WC semi finalist' title attached to it. You did good, and have alot to be proud of.

We on the otherhand, underperformed, and have alot of evaluating to do.
I remember having the same feelings when Turkey qualified to the EURO '96, Or better yet the exact same feelings when Turkey defeated Germany 1-0 in our EURO 2000 Qualifying campaign.

Cheers RedBox, best of Luck to Latvia ;)

#24 ·
Thanks! Well, you are right about that Latvia played well, but i think our success is because of discipline. Turkish players were nervosing very often - red card for your defenders, to your goalkeeper. I think Turkey NT need to be more disciplinated and accurate. Because you`ve all that a team can wish - professional players, who are doing well, but to win someone - these players must cooperate and keep cool even in hard situations. And that is important issue, in order to make victories.

#25 ·
redbox said:
Thanks! Well, you are right about that Latvia played well, but i think our success is because of discipline. Turkish players were nervosing very often - red card for your defenders, to your goalkeeper. I think Turkey NT need to be more disciplinated and accurate. Because you`ve all that a team can wish - professional players, who are doing well, but to win someone - these players must cooperate and keep cool even in hard situations. And that is important issue, in order to make victories.
You're right, but we come from a hot climate and are hot tempered :D

I was angry at the unnecessary cards, that's what caused our downfall (in part). Gunes should've told them to keep their cool. They're too emotional-and that effects their play on the field. We discussed this in detail on the Turkish forum. THe next generation of players are better in that regard, they can keep their temper under control (though we're still hot blooded and do over react at times :D )

that's why it' snever a good idea to have too many southern European teams in the same qualifying group-you definitely need a northern European country in there to keep things calm :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.