Xtratime Community banner

Do you like my plan for the future of european football?

My plan for the future of european football!

796 views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Firdaus 
#1 · (Edited)
1. All domestic european competitions should be banned or played with reserve players

2. There will be two all european superleagues. One superleague will be double round-robin tournament (30 rounds) with 16 best teams in europe (Barcelona, Real, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus, PSG + 9 other top teams). Second superleague will have 16 same teams as superleague one and will be played as two-legged knockout tournament (home and away basis) with 4 rounds (round of 16, quarterfinal, semifinal and final).

3. At the end of the season winners of two superleagues will play a single superfinal match on neutral ground to decide who is the european superchampion of that season. If both superleagues have same champion he will simply be declared as superchampion and superfinal match will not be played.

#3 ·
Great idea! Just one minor adjustment. If both superleagues have the same champion then the team will play itself in the final (team divided by drawing lots). The winner will be declared Super-Duper-Champions and play as a separate entity in the following season.

#4 ·
It would basically turn European football into NBA/NFL. Also I wonder who could "ban" those domestic leagues from existing? King Viktor I, the emperor of the Hungaro-Romanian Empire who has invaded the rest of Europe?

There should at least be some promotion/relegation system from domestic leagues.

#15 ·
It would basically turn European football into NBA/NFL.

There should at least be some promotion/relegation system from domestic leagues.

I dont see whats wrong with NBA/NFL. Turning european football into it can only be success. We could have lower divisions of the european superleague for promotion/relegation to/from main superleague.

#5 ·
Why not have both local leagues and this European competition only shorter? Ie. Why disturb the status quo?

If anything, football suffers from monopolization of the top teams vs the smaller teams of the top leagues and the smaller leagues, that had more access to European competition (if you are Romanian eg. Steaua), and this idea makes that worse

#7 ·
Nothing is inevitable. Not saying it won’t happen, but they’ve been saying it’s imminent for two decades now.

I strongly dislike it anyway. Turning the Champions Cup (mostly) into a challenge between four-five leagues is bad enough.

Reactions: Inácio
#10 ·
Don't see why you would have to give up anything. In theory you could have domestic league matches every weekend and European league every Wed.

Not that much different from now, except a few more matches (~two times as many in Europe maybe).

I think it is imminent from what I have been reading the past few months. Btw, mainly driven from the Southern teams (Italy and Spain). UK and Germany are happy with their domestic leagues.

#17 ·
Don't see why you would have to give up anything. In theory you could have domestic league matches every weekend and European league every Wed.

Not that much different from now, except a few more matches (~two times as many in Europe maybe).

Players will be tired by playing both so there are two options:

1. Domestic football could be played with reserve players/B teams/youngsters

2. Domestic football could stop to exist

#14 ·
Two groups of 8 with 14 matches and then semi final and final. Would be 17 in total. Currently it is 13.

There are ways to do it if they want to.

I rarely watch domestic leagues and that is the reason why I want champions league/superleague matches every week (at least 35 such matches per season). If we have additional time for domestic matches than good, if no such time than give them up and good again. Champions league with only 13 matches looks now like some kind of secondary event to domestic football and I want an opposite, I want to have main focus on champions league/superleague with possible domestic football as secondary event or second hand shop.

#13 ·
4 extra games, one each week is already an extra month, Tiger. It is not like there is no real life example of how this happens, since it is basically what happened here when the state leagues started to be replaced by the national league and we still have both and our players usually play more games than players in europe, we have less time for injury recovering, less vacation, pre-season time to prepare the teams, less time to pratice during the games... This would hinder the quality of the teams a lot and also the performance of the players. It's just not worth/feasible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.