New York City FC - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 16:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
New York City FC

The New York Yankees and Manchester City announced a partnership that the 20th MLS team will be New York City FC starting in 2015.

Last edited by HajdukSplit; May 21st, 2013 at 17:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 17:07
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: Columbus Crew
Team #20 Official - New York City Football Club

After three years of development and planning for a second team in New York, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced on Tuesday that English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City FC and Major League Baseball's legendary New York Yankees have teamed up to bring it to fruition and acquire MLS's 20th expansion club.

The new team will be named New York City Football Club (NYCFC) and is expected to begin play in 2015.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-city-football
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 17:16
Legend

Hey Hajduk, I know Red Bull is more a NJ team and not a NYC team. Are you still gonna support/follow/whatever Red Bull or do you think you might switch to NYCFC? Do you think the NYC fans of Red Bull will switch, NJ fans stay?

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 18:21
Star Player

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/newyorkcityfc
twitter: https://twitter.com/nycfc

Last edited by EPJr; May 21st, 2013 at 18:58.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 18:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4TheCrew View Post
Hey Hajduk, I know Red Bull is more a NJ team and not a NYC team. Are you still gonna support/follow/whatever Red Bull or do you think you might switch to NYCFC? Do you think the NYC fans of Red Bull will switch, NJ fans stay?
To me the Red Bulls was always a "New Jersey team" at least thats what I sensed everytime I went to the matches, mostly people from NJ. People from NYC hate going into Jersey

Yes I will continue to support the Red Bulls, even though I'm originally from Queens I cannot support a Yankees-Man City joint effort. I will stick with the NJ team

The NYC fans will definetly switch I have a feeling, like I said NYC peeps are "too cool" to travel to Jersey. I'm sure they will also get the 'Eurosnob' crowd.

I wonder how this will effect the salary cap?
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 20:03
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit♥ View Post
I wonder how this will effect the salary cap?
Well, tbh it wouldn't hurt the league to raise it. I think right now the salary cap is around $2.5-2.75 million. If the league raised it to maybe $4 million, or even doubled it to $5 million, I think that would be ok. Yes, some teams (Chivas USA, New England, San Jose, Columbus, RSL, Dallas) might struggle to spend that extra money, but it's not like the gap between rich and poor will be the same as the EPL, La Liga, Ligue 1, etc. And as long as the DP rule stays the same, it will limit how many stars will come in. If the limit of DP's per team is raised, I think that would hurt the league more than raising the salary cap a bit.

And if you think about it, if the salary cap raises, then the first thing that will happen is that all current players will want a raise. It's not like the new cap will go specifically to new players. Like when the NHL renegotiated salaries and whatnot a strike or two ago.

And there are still international slots to consider. I think a team can only have around 8 foreigners or so.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 20:54
Star Player

Red Bulls react to NYC FC rivalry

“We’re supportive of MLS expansion, as it illustrates the growing interest of soccer in North America. We also want to congratulate MLS and the League’s new ownership group, which is injecting additional resources to help develop our sport across the country. Today’s announcement is one of many steps in the exciting and challenging process of building a competitive MLS club,’’ Red Bulls GM Jérôme de Bontin said in a statement.

“Our club’s energy is focused on winning a championship for the League’s most loyal and passionate fans, many of whom have steadfastly backed this organization and MLS since its inception and come from all over the tri-state area. We are committed to continue to build an organization that is the flagship club for Major League Soccer around the world and a club that soccer fans across the region can be proud to support.”

Read more: Red Bulls react to NYC FC rivalry http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccer...#ixzz2TxU87G2l
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 20:58
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPJr View Post
“Our club’s energy is focused on winning a championship for the League’s most loyal and passionate fans"
HAHAHAHAHA.

The fans that can't be bothered to fill up a brand new stadium? With one of the most expensive teams in the league?

Prediction: NYCFC wins a league title before Red Bull. Who's with me?
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 21:39
Star Player

MLS officials discuss NYC expansion plans,
eye on 2016

NEW YORK — For the first time since identifying Flushing Meadows-Corona Park as a potential stadium site for the league's 20th expansion team, MLS officials are now openly discussing details of the project with local residents and media.

The latest installment of those grassroots meetings involved a Wednesday roundtable with local Hispanic media at the league headquarters in midtown Manhattan, where league president Mark Abbott answered questions about the plans.

It's a project that's been in the works since August 2011, when the league first put a team together to investigate more than 20 different locations for a stadium site in New York City.

Earlier this year, that search honed in on Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, which has the available land and is also close to public transportation, including both the NYC Subway and the Long Island Railroad.

But as importantly, it is the "home of soccer in New York City right now," according to Abbott.

The plans call for a 25,000-seat stadium (expandable to 35,000 seats) to be constructed on the current site of the park's Industry Pond, a 6.5-acre cement structure that was built for the 1966 World Fair but that is no longer operational (at ight).

The economics are straightforward: The stadium will be entirely funded by the club's owner and it will create an estimated 2,200 construction jobs, 160 full-time jobs and 750 part-time gameday jobs.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...plans-eye-2016
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 23:07
Legend

Completely owner funded? In a spot where nothing else is going on? Sounds like a winner to me
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 23:13
Xtratime Legend

Finally, DC United are joined by another club with a PROPER name.

"It's up for grabs now!"

Arsenal - Incongruentia Per Cladis
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 23:59
Legend

WTF you talking about?

FC Dallas
Toronto FC
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Sporting Kansas City
Real Salt Lake
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 00:00
Xtratime Legend

COLUMBUS CREW.

"It's up for grabs now!"

Arsenal - Incongruentia Per Cladis
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 00:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Flushing Meadows-Corona Park is the area where CitiField and the US Open Tennis Center is, though quite funny the Yanks are building a stadium in Queens
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 00:38
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cüneyt Arkın View Post
COLUMBUS CREW.
post #16 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 00:40
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit♥ View Post
Flushing Meadows-Corona Park is the area where CitiField and the US Open Tennis Center is, though quite funny the Yanks are building a stadium in Queens
Yeah, this spot has been rumored for a while now. Not a big surprise. Maybe the Yanks find this a good way to move in on the Mets territory
post #17 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 21:30
Star Player

New York City FC name Claudio Reyna director of football operations

New York City FC have their first employee.

The Major League Soccer expansion club named former US national team star Claudio Reyna as its director of football operations on Wednesday, one day after it was unveiled as the league’s 20th club, set to debut in 2015. The club will be co-owned by English Premier League power Manchester City and the New York Yankees.

Reyna, 39, has strong ties to both MLS and Manchester City, and is one of the most decorated figures in American soccer history. He spent four seasons playing for Manchester City from 2003-07 before returning to MLS, where he joined the New York Red Bulls as the franchise’s first Designated Player. He appeared in 29 matches for the club before injuries forced him to retire midway through the 2008 season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...all-operations
post #18 of 111 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 22:38
Legend

One thing is already clear about NYCFC, they get that they need an american running the show there. The red bull model of hiring europeans who dont know shit about mls is doomed to fail.
post #19 of 111 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:57
Star Player

New York City FC owners have long-term goal
of building team core from academy

NEW YORK — With Manchester City as the majority owners of new MLS expansion side New York City FC, many fans are already fantasizing about the star power that could make its way to the Big Apple when the team kicks off in 2015.

But NYCFC's owners have a greater vision for their club than merely signing big names. In fact, the philosophy sounds more akin to academy-oriented Barcelona than free-spending English giants Manchester City.

"Our intention is to work with kids from a really young age and, in the future, beginning at the age of five years old," Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano told ESPN Deportes Radio's Jorge Ramos y Su Banda. "And we want these kids to be from New York and to learn with us how to play soccer, but first to love soccer.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...t-team-academy
post #20 of 111 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:47
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4TheCrew View Post
WTF you talking about?

Real Salt Lake
:eekani:

So tell me about the King of Utah then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in