Refereeing in MLS - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 22:35 Thread Starter
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: Columbus Crew
Refereeing in MLS

Check out this week's edition of Instant Replay from MLS' site. Jesus, tons of horrible challenges from this past weekend. MLS refs are so shit. They let people get away with murder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2013, 16:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
it is bad, doesn't help the head of officiating is English, who tend to let the physical stuff go. It's no surprise that FIFA rarely selects American refs for their major tournaments

By the way the voice over guy is hilarious!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2013, 22:43 Thread Starter
Legend

Yeah, good monster truck rally voice p

I thought it actually improved a little bit last year, but this year has been awful.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2013, 03:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Columbus got a strange PK today, wonder if MLS weekly referee report will cover this. First time I;ve seen a penalty called for contact after a shot was taken. Petke was very upset about it. Now to be fair I don't know the exact rule, there was contact but as I said the player fouled already got his shot off
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2013, 16:12 Thread Starter
Legend

Yeah, I just saw the highlights. Meram clearly miscontrolled the ball, and then after that Kimura ran over him from behind. I look at it this way, when someone passes the ball in midfield, and an opponent tackles him late after the ball is gone, a foul is called. Doesn't matter that the pass has already been made. So I think in the end it was a decent call (I'm sure if I was a RBNY fan and not a Columbus fan I would disagree though ).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2013, 05:07 Thread Starter
Legend

Some truly awful refereeing in MLS this weekend. When the video comes up on MLS's site I'll post it here, but:

1) Houston had a goal disallowed even though the player was clearly onside. Match ended in a draw.

2) Later in the Houston-Chiacgo match, Brad Davis got fouled twice within 5 seconds, both fouls were clear fouls, and arguably both were yellow cards as well. Ref completely ignored both incidents.

3) New England was denied a goal at the end of the match for no reason. DC's goalkeeper went up for a corner kick, NE got the ball and Saer Sene was literally in the 18 yard box, nanoseconds from scoring a goal (that wouldn't have mattered tbf) and the ref blew the whistle to end the match. NE won anyway 2-1.

4) Hendry Thomas should have got two yellow cards in the first 10 minutes for Colorado, but only got one, and when he should have gotten his third yellow card, the ref gave the foul the other way and booked Juninho of LA. Replays showed that Thomas kicked the shit out of Juninho. Ridiculous call the other way. Colorado won 2-0, Hendry scored the first goal as well from a corner.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2013, 14:34
Come Back Deuce
Rising Star

Teams: New England, USMNT, USWNT, Fener
Yeah the decision against NE was puzzling. I would have understood it if he blew it dead on the clearance. Or if he had when Sene controlled it. But he let him run 40 yards and was ready to tap it in the empty net and then called it. Quite strange never quite saw a call like that at any level.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 05:53 Thread Starter
Legend

Some shocking stuff here :eekani: alm:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2013, 14:00
Come Back Deuce
Rising Star

Teams: New England, USMNT, USWNT, Fener
Yikes.....thats um. Not amazing to see. We really do need better quality refs throughout CONCACAF not just the MLS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in