MLS Playoffs Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2011, 04:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
MLS Playoffs Thread

The wildcard matches started today with New York Red Bulls beating FC Dallas away from home 2:0. Joel Lindpere scored to break the deadlock an hour into the match and Thierry Henry killed the game off with an extra time finish. Red Bulls played the final 10-15 minutes with 10 men as Solli was sent off. The Red Bulls now will play a two leg tie against the LA Galaxy, should be an interesting matchup

The other wilcard playoff match will be played tomorrow as the Colorado Rapids host the Columbus Crew.

Here is how the MLS playoff bracket looks like right now with only one of the wildcard matches completed

Sporting Kansas City vs. Colorado Rapids/Columbus Crew
Houston Dynamo vs. Philadelphia Union

New York Red Bulls vs. Los Angeles Galaxy
Seattle Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake

The bottom half of the bracket is much stronger than the top half and one would expect the winner of the bottom bracket to win MLS Cup, but you never know it this league

First leg will be played on October 29/30 with the return leg on November 2/3. MLS Cup will be played on November 20 in Los Angeles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2011, 05:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Colorado Rapids win the final wildcard as they defeated Columbus Crew at home 1:0 with Omar Cummings scoring the only goal. The playoff picture is now set and the first legs begin over the weekend.

Saturday October 29
Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle Sounders (10 PM; Fox Soccer Channel)

Sunday October 30
New York Red Bulls vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (3 PM; ESPN2)
Philadelphia Union vs. Houston Dynamo (5 PM; ESPN2)
Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City (7 PM; Fox Soccer Channel)

The NY-LA and RSL-Seattle matchups are the key matchups.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2011, 05:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Real Salt Lake take a comanding 3:0 lead over Seattle. While playing in Seattle is always tough, a three goal cushion should be more than enough for RSL to make the Conference finals

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2011, 22:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

LA beat NY in the first leg of their playoff 1:0 with Magee scoring the only goal. Red Bulls had more of the possession but they lacked quality in the final third against an organized LA defense. Red Bulls should have scored at least one goal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2011, 02:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

All away wins for the Sunday playoff matches, but it is important to note that in the MLS playoffs, away goals do not matter

Houston Dynamo went to Philadelphia and won 2:1 in a pretty exciting game. Houston were so good defensively with both CBs (Cameron and Boswell) winning everything in the air. Philadelphia were using 'Stoke City tactics' in the final 30 minutes when I thought they really didn't have to play that direct. Houston will feel they should have scored at least one more goal on the counter, Costly missed a sitter. Overall, entertaining game for the most part, but was disappointing with Philly's tactics late in the second half (long throw-ins, bombaring balls in the box etc..), they have more skill than that with Adu, Torres, Le Toux, McInerey

In the evening match, which I must admit I did not watch, Sporting Kansas City, thanks to two goals from Teal Bunbury beat the Colorado Rapids 2:0 which should really seal that tie up

1st Leg
Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders 3:0
New York Red Bulls - Los Angeles Galaxy 0:1
Philadelphia Union vs. Houston Dynamo 1:2
Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City 0:2

2nd Leg
Wednesday, November 2
Sporting Kansas City vs. Colorado Rapids (8:00PM; Fox Soccer Channel)
Seattle Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake (10:00PM; ESPN2)

Thursday, November 3
Houston Dynamo vs. Philadelphia Union (8:30PM; ESPN2)
Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York Red Bulls (11:00PM; ESPN2)

For the NY-LA game, there was a fight after the final whistle and both Marquez (NY) and Juninho (LA) will miss the match due to suspension.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Sporting Kansas City vs. Colorado Rapids 2:0
*Sporting KC advances 4:0 on aggregate

Straight forward victories for Sporting KC, who I consider to be the favorites to win their section of the bracket and make MLS Cup

Seattle Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake 2:0
*Real Salt Lake advances 3:2 on aggregate

The Seattle Sounders came so close to pulling off the turn around. Real Salt Lake really disappointed, their tactics were pretty much to weather the storm and hope the clock ran out before Seattle scored three. They only had 1-2 shots on goal compared to Seattle who had 25+! Seattle's finishing was poor and Rimondo made some key saves. Real Salt Lake were pretty poor, they couldn't even muster any half decent counters despite Seattle going all out attack

The conclusion of the first round is tomorrow with the Dynamo-Philadelphia and LA-NY matchups
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2011, 05:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Houston Dynamo vs. Philadelphia Union 1:0
*Houston Dynamo advances 3:1 on aggregate

I was disappointed with Philly to be honest, they play too direct for my liking despite having some good midfielders. Houston Dynamo continue being a successful franchise.

Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York Red Bulls 2:1
*LA Galaxy advances 3:1 on aggregate

New York started brightly, scoring only four minutes into the match through Rodgers but Los Angeles were really the dominant team through the 90 minutes. New York had their chances but failed to capitalize and the season ends in a disappointment for them. I don't think Hans Backe survives

Conference Finals
Sporting Kansas City vs. Houston Dynamo
Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake

Both matches will be played on Sunday and these matches are single elimination
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2011, 00:56
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I really don't like how the play-offs are set up. Why don't they just have, let's say, the top four of each conference face off like this: 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in a one leg situation for the first round. The two winners face off in a play-off to get to the cup final. And then that way, each conference is guaranteed a contender in the Cup Final. Or better yet, why doesn't the MLS just have an overall table with no conferences, and first place wins the league? Simple as that. Anyways, my predictions (both legs included):

Sporting Kansas City 2-1 Houston Dynamo

Los Angeles Galaxy 3-1 Real Salt Lake

Should be a good Cup final, and LA (assuming they make it) will have a home advantage, big time. I don't get why the MLS doesn't make the final two legs so that way no one has and advantage like we might see with LA... so many things wrong the play0off system. alm:

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2011, 01:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Houston Dynamo do it again and surpsingly defeat Sporting Kansas City 2:0 away from home. The Houston franchise has been amazing honestly
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2011, 06:00
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Sorry for reporting so late. So anyways, the semifinals rounded out like this:

Sporting Kansas City 0:2 Houston

LA Galaxy 3:1 Real Salt Lake

I predicted the LA-RSL match-up correctly. So we had a final between the Houston Dynamo and the LA Galaxy. Both francises have won a tiotle in the past (LA have on multiple occasions, I belive) prior to this meeting. Here's how the final ended:

Los Angeles Galaxy 1:0 Houston Dynamo

Congratulations to the Los Angeles Galaxy for winning the MLS Cup 2011!!!

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in