Commish: expansion stops at 20 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2009, 00:10 Thread Starter
Star Player

The Commish

Commissioner Don Garber in person did an interview with Forbes and announced that Montreal should have the 19th spot. You can check it out, click on the clip of the interview. This interview with Garber took place the day after the All-Star break on July 30.

What was also interesting is that Garber said they are not in any advanced negotiations for the 20th team with anyone. Once they hit 20, they will halt expansion for a while - with a possible cap at 20. And, MLS wants to be at 20 by 2012

http://lingows.appspot.com/content/f...plan&width=336

Last edited by EPJr; July 28th, 2010 at 02:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2009, 14:20
TP
Premier Player

Teams: Red Bull NY, US Mens National Team
I think 20 is just right, for now, but I can see US(A) supporting 40 teams, 4 divisions, top 4 from each make playoffs (North East, South, West, Midwest). The "old NASL" had as much as 32 teams at one point, to my recollection ... yes I was around then !!!

That could limit travel, and create better regional rivalries. He continues to grow the game, thus far he hasn't taken a wrong step, IMHO.

Go Don, Go !!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2009, 00:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

According to the latest information from the Montreal French press Canoë (http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...04-051700.html), MLS Commissioner and Impact owner Joey Saputo could have a permanent deal by end of August for a Montreal MLS entry in 2011. It is expected that all parties (MLS, the Quebec government and the Montreal Impact) are to have a sit down behind closed doors. On top of the agenda for this meeting is the transfer of $25-million dollars coming directly from the Quebec government to upgrade Saputo Stadium. If a deal is reached, construction will probably go ahead through two stages: Winter of 2010 and Winter of 2011.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2009, 19:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
yep, a while ago I said Montrel/Quebec was a darkhorse for expansion and now it looks like it will be the case. I still would like to see another team in the south and maybe even one more in the NY metro area, I mean there are going to be three teams in the Pacific northwest, why not here as well?

I also think it should stop at 20, and they should wait at least 5 seasons to see if the league needs to expand or even decrease. MLS cannot make the mistake that the NHL has made and over-expand into markets that just will never be interested in the sport
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2009, 06:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

MLS boss: No Montreal team in 2011
Friday, August 7, 2009

MLS commissioner Don GarberSPORTSNET.CA

Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber was on hand Friday night to watch Toronto FC and Real Madrid in Toronto, where he confirmed Montreal would not receive an expansion team in 2011.

Reports surfaced this week that Montreal Impact owner Joey Saputo was in discussion with Garber over joining the league as soon as 2011, but Garber was quick to dispel that idea at half-time on Friday night.

"It will not be happening in 2011, it will happen sometime after that, but I would like to see three teams in Canada," Garber told the media. "We are in discussion with Joey Saputo and his family, the next step is to work with them to get public support top expand an renovate that stadium."

Vancouver will become the second Canadian franchise in MLS in 2012 when the Whitecaps and a Portland club join the league

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/...eal_expansion/
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 15:15 Thread Starter
Star Player

COMMISH STATES THAT #19 WILL BE MTL

Quote:
He said he hopes the league can soon announce a deal that would see Montreal join MLS in 2012 — a year after the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers — as recent talks have gone well with Montreal Impact owner Joey Saputo and the Quebec government.

"If Montreal comes in, it will be a very different dynamic and scenario," he said. "I'm very excited about the Canadian market. I know they love hockey and it's in their DNA but they also love soccer and understand the game. It's connected to their roots."
By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...962/story.html
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 04:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

MLS Expansion 2013?

MLS commissioner eyes possible New York franchise for 2013
Second Big Apple club could be the league's 20th

MLS commissioner Don Garber said Friday that the league has no intentions of slowing down following a 2012 expansion to Montreal, and that a second New York franchise could be in line for 2013.

Garber told the Associated Press that the league has aspirations of soon fielding a 20th franchise to follow Montreal, which was officially announced on Friday as the league’s third Canadian club and 19th franchise overall.

"Our attention is very focused on a 20th team as we speak. We'd like that team to be in New York City representing a second team in the tri-state area," Garber told the AP. "The Red Bulls are very supportive of that and believe that rivalry will help grow the popularity of the sport in the New York metropolitan area. So we're going to work hard and try to get something done perhaps as early as 2013."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...franchise-2013
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 00:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
mixed reaction for the people who care here in NY/NJ. I'd say 70-30 are against a second team in NY. The problem is Red Bull themselves aren't even a successful franchise and even with the new stadium they don't sell out many of the games, so how is a second franchise going to help?

Personally, I'd like to see it, but I can understand why many of the hardcore Red Bull fans don't want it
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2010, 16:43
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I don't know about a second NY team, especially if the league stops at 20 (which it should), simply because there are so many untapped soccer markets still out there. There is still no MLS team in Florida, which could be a huge market, or St. Louis, which has been a traditional soccer hotbed in the USA. Still, I could see MLS going to NY again if the $$$ is good enough, but I wouldn't think so.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 16:33 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod View Post
I don't know about a second NY team, especially if the league stops at 20 (which it should), simply because there are so many untapped soccer markets still out there. There is still no MLS team in Florida, which could be a huge market, or St. Louis, which has been a traditional soccer hotbed in the USA. Still, I could see MLS going to NY again if the $$$ is good enough, but I wouldn't think so.
People keep saying that FL is a huge market but neither Miami or Tampa have shown consistent fan support of teams that they have had.

STL have the fans but the money was funny (they need a rich sugar daddy - the Busch family have not shown interest ).

Even though expansion may stop at 20 there is still the prospect of franschise transfer - keep an eye on the developments in Dallas and DC.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2010, 03:16 Thread Starter
Star Player

Mets Interested in MLS at Citi Field

A club spokesman told The Post, "We've had good dialogue previously with commissioner Garber, and look forward to continuing that in the future."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/socce...vgmgurbxLiXCNO

Last edited by EPJr; May 14th, 2010 at 20:16.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2010, 03:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

The Borough's Boys Supporters Club want the 2nd team to be the reincarnation of the NY Cosmos

http://www.boroughboysnyc.com/

Last edited by EPJr; May 14th, 2010 at 04:14.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2010, 01:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

F.C. New York owner meets the Borough Boys

For nearly two years, Nick Laveglia was the president of a supporters’ group without a team to support. The Borough Boys was formed when rumors of a Major League Soccer franchise calling Queens home began circulating.

“We just wanted to do whatever we could to bring the game to New York City on a professional level,” he said. “We started off as a grassroots organization based on some rumors.”

The Borough Boys finally have a team to cheer on, but it’s not a New York City-based MLS squad. With the New York Mets’ ownership focusing more on baseball and newly opened Citi Field, the announcement was made last week that F.C. New York will play in the United Soccer Leagues’ First Division, a second-tier league below Major League Soccer according to the U.S. Soccer Federation.

http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=2229
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2010, 19:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

Atlanta may be considered by potential MLS owner

A team from England's Premier League is considering starting a Major League Soccer expansion franchise and Atlanta is one of the cities it would scout as a possible home.

A source with knowledge of the MLS and international soccer, who wished to remain anonymous because it's very early in the process, said this is the second time a team from England has considered Atlanta. The first team researched cities two years ago but decided not to pursue an expansion team. The source declined to name the teams.

An MLS executive said the league hasn't been contacted by potential expansion owners, but said the team may be conducting its research without help from the league office.

However, the MLS has been interested in putting a team in Atlanta, the largest TV market in the United States without a franchise.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-ma...ed-571259.html
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2010, 02:32 Thread Starter
Star Player

Transcript: MLS commissioner Don Garber took your queries

With two franchises, Portland and Vancouver, joining MLS in 2011, the league will retain a conference system and move two teams from the West to the East. A 19th team, Montreal, will enter in 2012.

• MLS hopes to add a 20th franchise, which most likely would not begin play until 2013 at the earliest. Beyond 20 teams, the league remains interested in these markets: Atlanta, San Antonio, San Diego, Detroit and Miami.

• Success in the CONCACAF Champions League is a top priority for MLS, thus L.A. Galaxy, Toronto FC and Sounders players with games this week are for the most part relieved of their All-Star obligations.

• There are no plans to adjust MLS' calendar to conform with European leagues.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...ber-chat_N.htm
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2010, 00:18 Thread Starter
Star Player

New group acquires Cosmos, hopes to be part of MLS

NEW YORK (AP) -- A new group has acquired the name of the old Cosmos soccer team of the North American Soccer League and made Pele its honorary president.

The Cosmos said Sunday they have acquired the Copa NYC tournament and said their goal is to re-establish the team as "a part of Major League Soccer."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0vUdebiQo

Last edited by EPJr; August 6th, 2010 at 02:31.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:58 Thread Starter
Star Player

http://www.nycosmos.com/announcement/

Last edited by EPJr; August 6th, 2010 at 02:32.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2010, 16:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

BW Gottschee NYC partners with NY Cosmos to form Cosmos Academy East

http://www.bwgottschee.org/

Last edited by EPJr; August 6th, 2010 at 02:32.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2010, 00:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

MLS intrigued by expansion push from NY Cosmos

League interested in hearing more about group's plans

NEW YORK – The ambitions of the group behind the relaunch of the New York Cosmos soccer club are not just rhetoric.

On Sunday the executives at the helm of the project outlined details of their step-by-step plan and unveiled their end goal of having the Cosmos become an expansion club in Major League Soccer.

The league on Monday acknowledged that there have been conversations.

“We remain focused on securing a 20th team for Major League Soccer in New York,” said MLS President Mark Abbott on Monday. “We have met with the group that owns the rights to the Cosmos name and look forward to learning more about their plans.”

Those plans begin at the youth level, with the formation of the Cosmos Academy in partnership with Queens-based youth club BW Gottschee. The youth side will participate in the US Soccer Development Academy.

The Cosmos have even kicked off a grassroots initiative by acquiring the rights to locally run Copa NYC tournament.

The chairman of the new Cosmos is former Tottenham Hotspur executive Paul Kemsley and the honorary president is none other than former Cosmos legend, Pelé.

“Our plan has several phases, but if you fast-forward, it’s our aspiration to play at the highest level in this country and that’s MLS,” executive director Joe Fraga told The New York Times. “And we are serious.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...push-ny-cosmos

Last edited by EPJr; August 6th, 2010 at 02:33.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2010, 21:44 Thread Starter
Star Player

David Beckham Has Key Link to New York Cosmos MLS Bid

The principals behind the Cosmos are English. Chairman Paul Kemsley is an investment banker and former director at Tottenham who engineered the purchase of the Cosmos name and logo from G. Peppe Pinton, the former general manager of the NASL incarnation. CEO Carl Johnson runs a marketing and advertising company with offices in London and on Broadway. Cosmos director of soccer Terry Byrne held back-room positions with both Chelsea and the England national team in the 1990s.

-- Byrne is one of David Beckham's best friends and played a key role in Beckham's move to the Galaxy and several key decisions once the famous midfielder arrived, such as the hiring of Ruud Gullit as coach and the inheritance of the captaincy from Landon Donovan. In his book "The Beckham Experiment," Grant Wahl described Byrne as Beckham's "personal manager" and "the unidentified figure who was almost always in Beckham's immediate orbit." Beckham apparently arranged for Byrne to work for the Galaxy as a "paid consultant." Byrne's actual high-level pro soccer experience has been limited to roles as a physical therapist and equipment manager.

-- Beckham's contract with the Galaxy, which will pay him $6.5 million this season, expires at the end of 2011. The deal includes a provision allowing Beckham to be an investor/owner in an MLS franchise once he's done playing. "I still want to be involved. I want to be an ambassador of the league," he said last year. "There's a deal in place where I can purchase an MLS team or start a franchise. It's something I am definitely interested in, or I wouldn't have it in my contract."

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/08/0...osmos-mls-bid/

Last edited by EPJr; August 6th, 2010 at 02:35.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in