Legend
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Real Madrid, Selecção Portuguesa, San Jose
San Jose Earthquakes' new manager . . .

Source:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t110/news/arti...nt_id=11052007

- - -

San Jose Earthquakes Name Frank Yallop Head Coach

SAN JOSE, CALIF. – The San Jose Earthquakes have agreed to terms with Frank Yallop on a three-year contract through the 2010 season to become head coach of the San Jose Earthquakes. No other terms were disclosed.

"We are very excited to have a World Class coach like Frank Yallop join the Earthquakes," stated John Doyle, General Manager of Soccer Operations, San Jose Earthquakes. "Not only is Frank a two time MLS Cup winner but he brings a superior level of international experience, professionalism and character to our organization."

Yallop has an overall record of 59-46-30 coaching in the MLS. He spent the past year and a half as the head coach for the Los Angeles Galaxy. Before joining the Galaxy, the English native served as the head coach of the Canadian men's National Team from 2004 to 2005.

Yallop coached the San Jose Earthquakes from 2001-2003, compiling an overall record of 41-25-18 and winning a pair of Major League Soccer Cups in 2001-2003. His first Earthquake team in 2001 finished with a 13-7-6 record and won the MLS Cup. He was named the 2001 MLS Coach of the Year.

During his second season with San Jose, the Earthquakes finished with a 14-11-3 record. Yallop had a challenging job of keeping the Earthquakes on top of the standings. That same year Yallop also coached the MLS All-Stars to a 3-2 win over the United States National Team.

In 2003, the Quakes claimed their second MLS Cup in three seasons under Yallop. After finishing the regular season with a 14-7-9 record, the Quakes defeated the Los Angeles Galaxy, Kansas City and Chicago on their way to winning the MLS Cup.

Yallop began his coaching career in 1999 with the US Project 40 team. Yallop was hired as an assistant coach to Tim Hankinson for the Tampa Bay Mutiny in 1999 as well. In 2000 Yallop went to work with DC United as the top assistant to Thomas Rongen.

Before he began his coaching carrer, Yallop spent almost 20 years playing in England and the United States as a tough defender. He signed his first professional contract at the age of 16 with Ipswich Town FC in England and in 1992 helped the team win the English First Division.

Yallop made five appearances for English Youth National Teams and later played 52 times for the Canadian National Team, due to a 1989 change in FIFA rules allowing players to represent different countries providing they had not signed a professional contract during the time of their first appearance.

Yallop also played in the MLS as a top defender for the Mutiny from 1996 to 1998, where he earned the Mutiny's Defender of the Year award in 1997 and 1998. In 1996 Yallop helped the Mutiny to a league best regular season record of 20-12 and in 1998 he scored the only goal of his MLS career.

Yallop has a United States Soccer Federation "A" coaching license and a FA Preliminary Badge.

The San Jose Earthquakes are a Major League Soccer expansion franchise and will begin playing in April of 2008. Season ticket deposits for the 2008 Earthquakes season are on sale and can be purchased by calling (408) 556-7700 or online at sjearthquakes.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2007, 01:20 Thread Starter
reo
Legend
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal, Real Madrid, Selecção Portuguesa, San Jose
San Jose Earthquakes offering tryouts . . .

San Jose Earthquakes offering tryouts . . .

Source:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t110/fans/tryout_tour/
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2007, 05:11
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
The Earthquakes Reborn

This will be the official thread for the reborn San Jose Earthquakes, joining the MLS as a 14th team in the 2008 season.

The Earthquakes will play in the University of Santa Clara's Buck Shaw stadium, which is now used almost exclusively for soccer and will be rennovated to hold 12,500 spectators, while the 'Quakes will play some of their marquee matchups in bigger venues such as Oakland's McAfee Coliseum (home of the Oakland Athletics and Oakland Raiders as well as a few soccer exhibitions) or Stanford Stadium.

Buck Shaw Stadium

There are plans in the works to construct a soccer-specific stadium near the San Jose International Airport on land owned by the city of San Jose. The city council has voted unanimously to explore the option of building a stadium and given the owners of the club Exclusive Right to Negotiate regarding the development of the site. The stadium could come as early as 2010.

As for the clubs management, Lew Wolff and John Fisher, principal owners of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, who have the exclusive right to bring back the franchise and develop a soccer-specific stadium in the Bay Area.

The manager will be Frank Yallop, who led the Earthquakes to MLS titles in 2001 and 2003 before managing the Canadian national team and then the Los Angeles Galaxy. He left the LA Galaxy, whom the Earthquakes compensated with a third or fourth round pick in the 2008 SuperDraft.

---

A plan for a stadium, smart management, and a good coach. I'm so happy that this is becoming a reality once again. The two-time champions are back!!!

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2007, 05:30
World Class Player

Regarding playing staff who might come back, the big name on people's minds is Landon Donovan.

I personally wouldn't mind him coming back under Yallop, especially after reading what he had to say in this article. He'd have to earn our respect back, of course, but we'd be willing to give it to him.

Another name I see alot is Todd Dunivant, and it is suspected that Yallop will try to bring back a few more of his former players from the SJ years.

NWO BABY
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2007, 06:13
Xtratime Legend

Quakes stock up in Expansion Draft

SAN JOSE -- The anticipation of the return of the San Jose Earthquakes has been building for some time, but that process kicked into overdrive on Wednesday as the team revealed the 10 players it had selected in the MLS Expansion Draft.

The announcement at a pub in downtown San Jose brought cheers from the fans assembled, and the excitement was also evident in the voices of general manager John Doyle and head coach Frank Yallop.

"I think we've selected a list that we're very happy with as a start," said Doyle. "It's a framework, and we're happy with the list [of players]."

Given the dearth of wide players made available by the league's 13 teams, the Quakes braintrust chose to focus on shaping the spine of their team, selecting three central defenders, as well as three central midfielders. And it was one those defenders who drew the biggest round of applause from fans, as former Earthquakes defender and Santa Clara University product Ryan Cochrane was the first player announced to the crowd by Yallop.

"I would use the word 'ecstatic' that [Cochrane] is coming back," said Yallop. "He feels like he's home, so we're really excited. He's a very good defender ... in this league."

Yallop followed up Cochrane's selection by revealing that Clarence Goodson was obtained from FC Dallas. Goodson's contract expires in December, but Yallop said he was confident of re-signing the former Hoops' defender.

"With these two guys, we really have something to build on," said Yallop of his first two selections.

But even as Yallop focused on defense, versatility was the theme of the day, and that is exactly what the Quakes got with the trio of midfielders who were announced next. Ex-Columbus attacker Ned Grabavoy, former New England utility man James Riley, and New York's Joe Vide all provide flexibility as well as solid credentials. Yallop even went so far as to compare Vide to a key player from San Jose's championship past.

"Vide is a good, young, emerging midfielder, who has a young Richard Mulrooney look him," said Yallop.

Of the other players selected, the one with the highest pedigree was Honduran midfielder Ivan Guerrero. The former Chicago Fire player was hailed by Yallop for his work rate and ability to keep possession.

The Quakes' selections were rounded out by U.S. international midfielder Brian Carroll (ex-D.C. United), former Chivas USA defender Jason Hernandez, long-time Yallop favorite Gavin Glinton from the LA Galaxy and Toronto FC's Chris Pozniak.

Of course, such is the nature of expansion drafts that at least a few of the just-acquired players will be used to facilitate trades, and Yallop warned those assembled not to get too attached to the Quakes' new additions. He said that a deal had already been struck for one of the new players, and that another trade was in the works that involved a draft pick.

San Jose's biggest position of strength would appear to lie in central midfield, especially with Vide and Carroll vying for the same position. For that reason a trade involving one of those two seems the most likely to occur.

But at the end of the day's proceedings, Yallop said he was satisfied with the players he acquired, and looked like a man who couldn't wait to continue the process.

"It's a start," said Yallop. "If I had to start an MLS game tomorrow, I've got no problem playing those guys all together."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2007, 06:17
Xtratime Legend

San Jose Earthquakes select 10 players during MLS Expansion Draft

SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes selected their initial 10 players from the 2007 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft held today, Wednesday, November 21, 2007. The Earthquakes selected one player each from 10 of the 13 MLS teams. Kansas City Wizards, Real Salt Lake and the Colorado Rapids were the three teams that did not have a player selected in the draft. Each of the 10 teams was allowed to protect 11 players, leaving all others unprotected.

Below is the list of the players that were selected in the 2007 MLS Expansion Draft:
1. Ryan Cochrane (Houston Dynamo)
2. Clarence Goodson (FC Dallas)
3. Ned Grabavoy (Columbus Crew)
4. James Riley (New England Revolution)
5. Joseph Vide (New York Red Bulls)
6. Ivan Guerrero (Chicago Fire)
7. Brian Carroll (D.C. United)
8. Jason Hernandez (Chivas USA)
9. Gavin Glinton (LA Galaxy)
10. Chris Pozniak (Toronto FC)

San Jose Earthquakes Tryout Tour
http://sjearthquakes.mlsnet.com/t110/fans/tryout_tour/
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2007, 06:28
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Some good pickups, I like Grabavoy and Glinton

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2007, 20:58
TP
Premier Player

Teams: Red Bull NY, US Mens National Team
... the back line looks good

....Riley....Cochrane....Goodson...Guerrero
.......................Carroll
.....................Grabavoy

That's a good nucleus from which to build a team.

Last edited by TP; November 24th, 2007 at 21:26.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2007, 21:19
World Class Player

I'm pretty happy with this draft. We've got some good defenders, plus I rate Glinton and Grabavoy is pretty good. I also think Pozniak is pretty decent.

NWO BABY
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 21:38
World Class Player

We have acquired Kei Kamara from the Crew in exchange for Brian Carroll. I think with Pozniak and even Grabavoy we can cover Carroll's position and now we have a pretty good forward. I rate Kamara better than Glinton. Plus, the move frees up some money that we can put towards a big money move (sounds redundant, I know, but you get the idea).

Also, we've acquired Preston Burpo from Chivas USA for a fourth-round draft pick, a good deal IMO. Burpo displaced Brad Guzan from the Chivas starting lineup for about half the season in 2006, and even if he doesn't start he will be good backup and provide good competition for whoever else does come in at the GK position.

NWO BABY

Last edited by naervod; November 26th, 2007 at 22:06.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 23:05
International

Kamara has never impressed me. He's had his moments, but they've been few and far between.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 00:15
World Class Player

I think its a good deal. Carroll is OK, but not great, and Kamara is young and has great physical qualities, he's tall strong and fast, so he's going to improve. The goals (5) to appearances (13 starts, 13 subs) ratio doesn't look great, but his goals to minutes played (1400) is much more respectable. He may not be a starter if we can go for a good forward (we have alot of room in the salary cap now that Carroll is gone), but he'll be great off the bench and I feel he can improve.

NWO BABY
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 17:52
TP
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
We have acquired Kei Kamara from the Crew in exchange for Brian Carroll...
This sounds more like a cap move.

I think it's more important to keep goals out, rather that score them at this stage of the teams development.

The Burpo move is more important than the Carrol for Kamara, IMHO.

I like what John & Frank are doing. This will be a competetive team, IMHO. Let's hope they can get everyone to camp early enough to get Frank's system inplace.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 02:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Joe Vide is a good player, foolish that RBNY did not protect him, they guy actually played in Germany as a teenager but returned to the stats, pretty decent defensive midfielder, at times even better than Reyna who should retire really

Jason Hernandez, SHU grad, not really that great, doubt he will be on the roster and if he is, well down on the depth chart (ok that's football talk )
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 19:20
World Class Player

Ian Russell, who won titles with us in 2001 and 2003 has joined the club as an assistant coach.

NWO BABY
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2008, 22:19
Xtratime Legend

San Jose negotiating with defender

Defender Clarence Goodson and San Jose are in negotiations over a new contract, but in case a deal is not reached, his representatives have begun the process of exploring opportunities in Germany and Scandanavia.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 20:49
TP
Premier Player

Goodson is now a former MLS player, but SJ signed Joe Cannon from LA for cap money as well as getting the best keeper in MLS.

SJ will be a very competative team next year. Let's hope they can get the stadium deal done, the fans and the team deserve it.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2008, 19:21
World Class Player

Drafted Shea Salinas in the SuperDraft, don't know much about him, but his college stats look pretty good. Also, four more players in the Supplemental Draft that I don't know much about: forward Adam Smarte, midfielder Tim Bohnenkamp, defender Greg Curry, and defender Tim Jepson. Smarte is a local kid (went to UC Santa Cruz), which is pretty cool.

Also, pretty happy about the Cannon signing.

NWO BABY
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2008, 20:14
International

The 'quakes should have a pretty decent team this year. I bet they do better than TFC did last year.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2008, 06:32
World Class Player

I'm really hoping that we don't follow in the footsteps of TFC, Chivas, and RSL in having an abysmal expansion season. That being said, I think making the playoffs is a long shot, though I think we can put in a respectable performance.

We acquired John Cunliffe from Chivas USA for Chris Pozniak. Cunliffe is OK and has potential which is good, but not proven, which is what we need in the striker position. I think if we could bring in a good veteran striker as a designated player then we'd have a pretty solid setup. Someone in the mold of Blanco or Angel who have both impressed alot.

NWO BABY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in