MLS in Seattle by 2009? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2007, 19:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
MLS in Seattle by 2009?

We all now know that San Jose will get a team in 2008 but Ives Galacep, a respected soccer writer in the NYC/NJ writer area today announced that Seattle will be the 15th MLS franchise by 2009, they will play in Quest Field, the home of the Seahawks.

Though, Seattle Sounders (USL team) owner or board member, whatever, says nothing is yet official but there are talks.

I would believe in the Seattle guy more but Ives is a respectable writer, so who knows. I think it's a good idea to put a team in the Seattle/Vancouver area, but they also maybe need another team in the south
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2007, 20:39
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
I've just been reading the rumor. I think Seattle would do well, but I want more teams in the midwest and not the west coast.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2007, 07:42
TP
Premier Player

Teams: Red Bull NY, US Mens National Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
... Seattle will be the 15th MLS franchise by 2009, they will play in Quest Field, the home of the Seahawks...
Fake grass !!!!

I hope they call the team Sounders?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old October 6th, 2007, 23:38
Premier Player

Would it not be prudent to move the sounders to the MLS?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2007, 16:37
TP
Premier Player

...only if the current owners of the Sounders, sell the team/name to MLS, or just move the team in its present form to MLS.

This move would set up the NW for the inclusion to MLS with areas like Portland and/or Vancouver as prime locations for inclusion.

HOWEVER .... NO FAKE GRASS. SOCCER SPECIFIC STADIUM, PLEASE

Last edited by TP; November 12th, 2007 at 21:03.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2007, 23:36
International

Not related to Seattle, but the Earthquakes will use Santa Clara University's stadium for the next two seasons.

http://www.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp
http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sc...w-stadium.html

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2007, 14:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
it's official as of yesterday, Seattle will get a MLS squad in 2009

Seattle gets Major League Soccer franchise
Major League Soccer is coming to Seattle in 2009.

Sources confirmed on Friday that the long-rumored announcement of an expansion franchise for the city will come early next week.

The new Seattle franchise will play at Qwest Field on Field Turf. The primary ownership group will consist of Seattle Sounders owner Adrian Hanauer, Hollywood mogul Joe Roth, and Seahawks' owner Paul Allen.

Seattle Sounders' officials confirmed today that a press conference would be held Tuesday in Seattle, but would give no further details. Sources said that MLS commissioner Don Garber will attend the press conference.

''I'm excited about a press conference on Tuesday,'' Hanauer said Friday. "There's been a lot of work going on behind scenes to get to the point of having a press conference."

Hanauer declined to discuss the topic of the press conference, but said, "I'm looking forward to it. I don't anticipate eggs and tomatoes being thrown.''

It was not immediately known if the new team will retain the Sounders' name, nor whether the old Sounders will continue to field a team in the United Soccer League's First Division.

Major League Soccer
The top professional soccer league in the U.S. and Canada with 13 franchises, to be expanded by one team (San Jose) in 2008 and two teams in 2009 (Seattle and potentially Philadelphia). With its first season in 1996, the schedule runs from April to November. Two franchises -- the Miami Fusion and the Tampa Bay Mutiny -- shut down in 2001.

As it says in the article they will play on Quest Field, nice stadium, maybe too big for soccer but that area of the country loves soccer, let's see how the Vancouver area reacts?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2007, 00:37
Premier Player

sheesh

well,

They will be called the sounders, thats for sure, I think that the USL sounders will simply cease to be in 2 years time
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2008, 05:10
Rookie

Bump!

Of course most of you know already, but the team is owned by Joe Roth, Adrian Hanauer, Paul Allen and Drew Carey.

They will play at Qwest Field in a soccer configuration using the lower bowl, with the top level tarped off in a way as to make the experience as intimate as a true 25,000 seat SSS. Qwest is designed to focus noise directly onto the field. It will be loud.

The field will be Fieldturf. It's a brand new installation, made specifically to be soccer friendly, which means it will play far better than Giants Stadium, Rice Eccles and even Toronto. New England actually has an installation which plays pretty well. This should be even better.

The franchise has officially been named Seattle Sounders F.C..

MLS, you will be assimilated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2008, 06:35
International

FieldTurf sucks ass. I absolutely hate it. Yes, it's better than AstroTurf, but there's still nothing like playing on real grass.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2008, 20:25
TP
Premier Player

With the inclusion of Seattle, MLS will have 15 teams. I think they will have their maximum allotment soon, which I would presume to be about 18 - 20 teams; that would be 34 - 38 games per year home & away.

With the inclusion of Philadelphia next year, and with Miami, Cleveland, St. Louis, New York & Atlanta all reportedly vying for teams, I can see MLS getting to 20 by 2014 and then setteling in for the long haul.

My only hope for the future, is that the league continues to prosper, WE continue to develope quality talent, and teams get their "OWN HOMES".
San Jose and KC definately need to find a permanent home soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in