Lalas calls MLS on par with Premiership - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2007, 18:44 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Lalas calls MLS on par with Premiership

http://tsn.ca/headlines/news_story/?ID=211259

LONDON (AP) - Alexi Lalas helped humiliate English soccer 14 years ago. It looks like he's trying to do it again.

The Los Angeles Galaxy president, who scored when the United States beat England 2-0 in a friendly in 1993, told British newspapers that Major League Soccer is on a par with the Premier League.

Irked by suggestions that David Beckham is going into semi-retirement by joining the Galaxy, Lalas said the only reason the English league is popular is because of American-style marketing.

''The fact that a segment of the world worships an inferior product in the Premiership is their business,'' Lalas said in an interview with The Guardian published Tuesday.

''In England, our league is considered second class, but I honestly believe if you took a helicopter and grabbed a bunch of MLS players and took them to the perceived best league in the world they wouldn't miss a beat and the fans wouldn't notice any drop in quality.''

Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey are among the American players in the Premier League, although they play for modest Fulham. None of the American players in England are stars of the calibre of those at teams such as Manchester United and Chelsea.

McBride - the third highest scorer in U.S. national team history with 30 goals - scored nine times last season for Fulham, which finished 16th in the Premier League. His tally was 12 short of Didier Drogba's league-high 21 for Chelsea, and the same as Wigan's Emile Heskey and Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Despite criticizing the Premier League for sloganeering and over-marketing, Lalas claimed that, when he arrives, Beckham will have a higher profile in the United States than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.

''The U.S. will never have dealt with an athlete who has had this kind of international impact,'' Lalas told The Mirror. ''Tiger Woods has that international appeal but, with due respect to Woods and Michael Jordan, David Beckham is at an entirely different level.''

Lalas, a 37-year-old former United States defender, said his country's record at the past four World Cups compared favourably with that of England - England has two underwhelming quarter-final appearances to one for the U.S. - and suggested almost all those who criticize the MLS have yet to see the league.

However, several British papers were unimpressed by the Galaxy's 3-2 win over Real Salt Lake on Sunday.

''The game was not without moments of quality ... (but) some of the defending from both sides was the type of stuff you watch through your fingers,'' according to The Mirror. ''It was the football equivalent of a demolition derby.

''The use of possession was alarmingly careless and the concept of marking appeared not to have found its way across the Atlantic.''

You gotta love that 2nd quote. now i agree with him about the EPL being over hyped and i honestly don't think its the best league in the world like so many English try to claim especially when it comes to the league being competative... basically it has become a two horce race between Chelsea and Man United over the past few years, meanwhile Liverpool haven't even been able to sniff the tittle yet they won the CL in 05 and were in this years final. At least in Germany you had 4 teams fighting out this year, same with La Liga until the 3 pulled away and it came down to the final day to decide the tittle. I do disagree with him on the MLS quality though and to say the fans wouldn't notice any drop in quality between the two is laughable lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2007, 00:23
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I pretty much agree with your viewpoint. EPL is overhyped, but definitely much better than the MLS. Give the MLS some time to grow though. Maybe in a decade or two it can reach up there.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2007, 01:02
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Well, who honestly listens to Alexei Lalas?

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2007, 22:54
TP
Premier Player

Teams: Red Bull NY, US Mens National Team
The only difference between MSL and EPL ... is the weather
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 03:18
Star Player

Teams: UNITED
Lalas is a ****ing imbecile.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 03:19
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
****ing idiot. As Biggie said...DEAD WRONG.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 03:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
the guy is a nut, he was on that show Pros vs. Joes (where professional athletes play their sport against loudmouth fans) and he was just cursing off some guy like crazy

he also backstabbed Metrostars, thought he was a local guy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 03:35
Star Player

Teams: UNITED
Why does this little bicth Lalas keep talking us up? All he's doing is setting us up for more pressure and for eventual failure. Just a month ago this idiot was talking up the EPL with those two clowns Nick and Steve on the Fox Football ****tard show.

I think Lalas will just suck on anything he can get his mouth around. Whether it's wrong or right, he doesn't care. This biased little joke is why many people around the world do not take American football nor their fans seriously.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 05:21
Premier Player

When will you realize that Lalas is a genius?

He is doing just what he wanted to do, get Attention for the MLS.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 09:00
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
I pretty much agree with your viewpoint. EPL is overhyped, but definitely much better than the MLS. Give the MLS some time to grow though. Maybe in a decade or two it can reach up there.
The way the MLS is structured...WITHOUT changing its practices...and without a VALID 2nd Division..IT WILL NEVER even compare to 2nd Division England...EVER !!!!!!!!! :thmbdown:

Lalas...get off the weed dude !!!!!! even Naervod is beginning to listen to you !!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2007, 10:47
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
The way the MLS is structured...WITHOUT changing its practices...and without a VALID 2nd Division..IT WILL NEVER even compare to 2nd Division England...EVER !!!!!!!!! :thmbdown:

Lalas...get off the weed dude !!!!!! even Naervod is beginning to listen to you !!!
I'm not agreeing with Lalas at all, I think its absurd to compare the two at this point.

But I don't think the MLS can never grow due to its structure. It seems to be growing fine now as it is. The priority now is attracting a better fan base. What kind of American sports fan will start following MLS and stay on after their team is relegated? It is totally implausible to institute a system of promotion and relegation at this point in time. First get a bigger fan base, bigger market, and then worry about promotion and relegation.

In the meantime, just enjoy your USL. I'm doing fine with it here in San Francisco.

NWO BABY
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2007, 02:20
Premier Player

This is rubbish. Lalas must get off the crackpipe. The American league structure is flawed. Promotion and relegation is a must. The top division of USL isnt half bad and I bet some of those teams could compete in MLS.

The cream of the MLS crop is perhaps good enough to play on a Premiership team. The average MLS player is good enough for League One or the Coca Cola Championship at best.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2007, 13:48
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Promotion and relegation cannot work until all the expansion in MLS has stopped and the expansion teams are given time to solidify their squads. Until then, it cannot work because cities are AWARDED MLS teams.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2007, 04:16
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
"Outrageous and not true at all, says FC Dallas coach Steve Morrow. He has a good perspective, having formerly owned a Highbury address, toiling as a semi-regular for famed Arsenal in the mid-1990s. He was later an anchor at Queen's Park Rangers in England's second tier before moving to Major League Soccer in 2002. With the Dallas Burn, he was passable as an orchestrating defender, although limited for pace.

"Some of the players that come into this league from other leagues, they find it hard," Morrow said. "Some of the qualities here, the athleticism, the speed, make it difficult. I certainly found when I came over from playing in the Championship and the Premier League that the level was quite high."

Nowadays, constantly scanning the soccer landscape for ways to improve the FC Dallas roster, he rejects most MLS wannabes from lesser associations. "Some of the players I get offered, I have to tell the agents, or I tell people back home, 'Sorry, you aren't good enough to play in this league.' And they truly are surprised," he said.

Morrow believes the best MLS teams would survive in the Premiership. They certainly wouldn't compete for honors, he said, but neither would they plummet immediately into the relegation zone."

risin up back on the field, we r just a group n our will to survive..risin up the challange for our respect!..we have a dream! NWO MOTHER****AS!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2007, 16:27
Premier Player

Teams: Germinal Beerschot, Avenir Beggen!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBville
"Outrageous and not true at all, says FC Dallas coach Steve Morrow. He has a good perspective, having formerly owned a Highbury address, toiling as a semi-regular for famed Arsenal in the mid-1990s. He was later an anchor at Queen's Park Rangers in England's second tier before moving to Major League Soccer in 2002. With the Dallas Burn, he was passable as an orchestrating defender, although limited for pace.

"Some of the players that come into this league from other leagues, they find it hard," Morrow said. "Some of the qualities here, the athleticism, the speed, make it difficult. I certainly found when I came over from playing in the Championship and the Premier League that the level was quite high."

Nowadays, constantly scanning the soccer landscape for ways to improve the FC Dallas roster, he rejects most MLS wannabes from lesser associations. "Some of the players I get offered, I have to tell the agents, or I tell people back home, 'Sorry, you aren't good enough to play in this league.' And they truly are surprised," he said.

Morrow believes the best MLS teams would survive in the Premiership. They certainly wouldn't compete for honors, he said, but neither would they plummet immediately into the relegation zone."
I disagree. I think they all would be relegated. The players are good enough, the coaching isnt.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2007, 23:50
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerschot_fan
I disagree. I think they all would be relegated. The players are good enough, the coaching isnt.
I dunno, I think some of the best MLS teams could beat out the likes of Watford. But spot on about the players and coaching.

NWO BABY
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2007, 00:00
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
The only difference between MSL and EPL ... is the weather

How about the fact that there is next to no History in American football,
They call it soccer..
And the clubs barely run clubs, they have companies running them.

Nevermind the quality of the players, managers, and reputation.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2007, 00:01
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
I dunno, I think some of the best MLS teams could beat out the likes of Watford. But spot on about the players and coaching.

So priskin the watford striker could play in USA and be average?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2007, 02:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
probably p Markus Schopp played in Serie A for a small club (Brescia, my club in Italy p ) and he stinks in the MLS.

Juan Pablo Angel though is ripping the league but he is better than Priskin
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2007, 21:41
Premier Player

Teams: athletic club,Red Bull NY,Euskadi NT,west ham
who gives a crap what a blowhard like Lalas says. really.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in