Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2019/2020

9K views 268 replies 13 participants last post by  ToniSamp 
#1 ·
Here are the fixtures for the new season.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So, here is my pre-season summary:
2 starting central defenders gone.
One good forward gone.
Praet gone
The best striker is yet another year older, and bound to regress if only because nobody can repeat what he did last year
New purchases are unproven, although, to Samp's credit, they seem to be good at finding quality replacements for players that leave.
Some locker room bust-up at the tail end of last season caused the technical director to leave
Owner is talking about selling the club, and is generally rather eccentric
Manager left after 3 successful, maybe even over-achieving seasons
New manager is a big question mark

Boy, I don't know. It sounds like good background material for a relegation dogfight. Do you think I'm being over-pessimistic?

#5 · (Edited)
So, here is my pre-season summary:
2 starting central defenders gone.
One good forward gone.
Praet gone
The best striker is yet another year older, and bound to regress if only because nobody can repeat what he did last year
New purchases are unproven, although, to Samp's credit, they seem to be good at finding quality replacements for players that leave.
Some locker room bust-up at the tail end of last season caused the technical director to leave
Owner is talking about selling the club, and is generally rather eccentric
Manager left after 3 successful, maybe even over-achieving seasons
New manager is a big question mark

Boy, I don't know. It sounds like good background material for a relegation dogfight. Do you think I'm being over-pessimistic?

Yes.

I think we will have a pretty bad season, that for sure, and probably finish from 12th to 15th. Relegation? Not with a healthy Quagliarella. Lecce, Brescia and Hellas Verona are all pretty bad. Add SPAL, Udinese, Genoa and Parma to the mix. We should be in the group which competes for the 10th spot, with Bologna, Cagliari and Sassuolo, but I'm not very confident we will manage to get it and I would not be surprised if some clubs who are worse on paper finished above us. 12th to 15h position, like I said.
Anyway, the transfer campaign is not over yet, maybe things improve. And maybe the club is sold soon.

#15 ·
TRAINING RAMPS UP AHEAD OF SAMP V LAZIO

Thursday 22nd August 2019 07:16 pm

The squad’s training session on Thursday just three days ahead of the Serie A curtain raiser against Lazio involved a video meeting, warm-up and technical and tactical drills on pitch two at the Mugnaini. Jakub Jankto took part in a tailored session involving specific fitness and technical drills, while Gonzalo Maroni continued his physio work. Eusebio Di Francesco will put his charges through their paces once again on Friday morning.

#16 ·
Samp vs. Lazio

It's HT vs. Lazio, and things don't look so good. The away team is looking much sharper, and two excellent saves from Audero have kept it down to 1-0. I was going to write that Berezynski was looking sharp both on offense and defense, but then he had a big part in the goal. I was also going to write that Vieira looks just as lost with the ball at his feet as he did last year, until he had a great first touch and almost snuck it past Strakosha. But, honestly, that first touch could also have been luck. Milinkovic-Savic is looking dangerous - I think I remember a game in the 2017-18 season when he absolutely terrorized Samp.

Tactically, compared to Giampaolo's tenure, I think the passes seem to be on average a little longer. But, I'm far from an expert on tactics, so maybe I'm totally wrong. Also, I think we're seeing some miscommunications that may result from this being the first game of the season.

Let's hope for a better 2nd half.

#21 · (Edited)
The first game of the season gave me the feeling this could be one of those seasons like 1998/1999, in which the team isn't exaggerately bad but the situation becomes bad pretty soon. Lazio is a very good team, they have the same coach, pretty much the same players, while we have new coach and plan, players who have yet to join us, but all things considered losing like that was unacceptable.

#22 ·
The first game of the season gave me the feeling this could be one of those seasons like 1998/1999, in which the team isn't exaggerately bad but the situation becomes bad pretty soon. Lazio is a very good team, they have the same coach, pretty much the same players, while we have new coach and plan, players Who have yet to join us, but all' things considered losing like that was inaccettabile nevertheless. And unacceptable.

no better description for the situation than these lines above except waiting and watch closely what's gonna happen gradually in coming matches, weeks.

#23 ·
My concern is the defense, I think we have a pretty good attack (even if we are missing out some players), hopefully they get more synced but I think that we have we trembling even in the pre-season with the defense….but hopefully it will get better soon.

It´s a bit unfortunate that we got such a difficult opponents in the few first game of the season.

#25 ·
Desaster at Sassuolo. Now there is a 2-week pause because of the international games (one of those dumb things...) then we will be back for the game with Napoli, the sort of game in which we can concede up to 10 if our team plays the way they played yesterday night.

#27 ·
This break actually comes at a good time for Samp. Chance to regroup and reflect.

Plus I have to say I don't mind international breaks. More time to spend with the Mrs and do non-football things. Albeit temporarily, then back to football again.. :heart:

Plus my heart and blood pressure can use some rest from the tension of Inter matches :D

Reactions: Kopite
#30 ·
Berardi was MOTM, what an amazing player. But i really didn't believe how he scored a hatrick easily like that. Samp defense line and GK were both awful in this game. it was a disaster result indeed since it was the 2nd defeat in 2 games with an awful show!! and conceed 4 goals in each one :eek:

the bottom of the table :err:

#32 ·
SerieA come back and start today, Samp is travelling to the south and play a tough match against Napoli. i predict a defeat unfortunately,but hopefully the team prepared well for it well during the international break.

no doubt most Samp fans are worried before the kick off

TODAY, Saturday 14 Sep
Napoli vs Sampdoria
19:00 PM

#34 ·
Close, very close indeed, Kop.

Di Francesco adopted 3-4-3 and in attack it sort of worked even if we didn't score. In defense we looked a bit better than in the previous two (dire) games but conceded the usual good amount of chances to the opponent. At least it was Napoli!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.