Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2018/2019

4K views 117 replies 10 participants last post by  ToniSamp 
#1 ·
The first game vs Fiorentina has been postponed as a consequence of the desaster of the Morandi bridge in Genova. The game will be played on September the 19th.

#59 ·
I haven't seen any games for a while, but it seems like something good has happened. The team is only two points away from a Champions' League spot, not that I think it will happen. Maybe we were a little too pessimistic earlier in the season? It seems like even Ramirez has woken up. Is it sustainable going forward? I guess we'll get some idea very quickly with the trip to Napoli coming up. The will be looking for revenge.

Saw the Udinese highlights - what a delicious assist from Saponara!

If Caprari is hurt, who is the replacement? He's not a bad player.

#60 ·
I haven't seen any games for a while, but it seems like something good has happened. The team is only two points away from a Champions' League spot, not that I think it will happen. Maybe we were a little too pessimistic earlier in the season? It seems like even Ramirez has woken up. Is it sustainable going forward? I guess we'll get some idea very quickly with the trip to Napoli coming up. The will be looking for revenge.

Saw the Udinese highlights - what a delicious assist from Saponara!

If Caprari is hurt, who is the replacement? He's not a bad player.

On paper, Gabbiadini, at least in pure numerical terms. Kownacki had to leave, but the injury of Caprari will probably stop the move, unless Kownacki pretends to leave nevertheless (which is possible) and we replace him with another forward.

#61 ·
Napoli Game

It's HT at Napoli. I turned it on literally as the 2nd goal was going in. I guess the San Paolo is not the place you expect to pick up point, but, still, it seems a little bit disappointing. Audero - is he really worth 20 million Euros? Maybe he'll get better with experience. He seems to get a lot of good press, but, for me, he doesn't look that good. Why is Colley in for Tonelli? Is he injured? Also, what's up with Baretto?

My prediction for the 2nd half is that Napoli wins by two clear goals but maybe Quagliarella could score...

By the way, how do you start a new thread? I always seem to be replying to an existing thread

#63 ·
I guess the San Paolo is not the place you expect to pick up point, but, still, it seems a little bit disappointing. Audero - is he really worth 20 million Euros? Maybe he'll get better with experience. He seems to get a lot of good press, but, for me, he doesn't look that good.

No way, not now at least, and for much that I rate his professionalism I doubt he will ever be. Maybe press will leave him now that he is no more a player Juventus need to sell.

Why is Colley in for Tonelli? Is he injured? Also, what's up with Barreto?

Colley for Tonelli is a technical choice. Barreto in injured instead,

Who is this Jankto guy anyway? It's the first time I've had a good look at him, and I'm not impressed at all.

He is a Czech midfielder we overpaid at the expensive boutique which is Udinese. He runs a lot but that is pretty much the one quality I find in him. The technical skills are meh!

#62 ·
Well, it seems like my prediction was overly optimistic, unfortunately. Samp had some chances, and got some rhythm going, but Napoli were never really feeling in danger. Who is this Jankto guy anyway? It's the first time I've had a good look at him, and I'm not impressed at all.

Regarding Saponara, I'm glad to see Giampaolo brought him on for a full 40 minutes. Maybe his fitness is getting better. But, I noticed something - his thought process seems to be a little slow sometimes, and he's half a second behind the play.

By the way, I totally agree with the penalty decision. Andersen had no reason do stick his arm out.

The English broadcasters (Trevor Sinclair, I believe) were going on about Samp's lack of width in attack, which makes me think they have never seen this team before. It's just not their style with Giampaolo. For the last three seasons they have always played with a narrow midfield, for better or for worse.

#66 ·
One of the worst performances of this season against a team, Frosinone, which fought hard, contrarily to what happened in their stadium. One shot on goal and one goal for them, but Sampdoria hardly created more chances anyway. The best one was a header of Colley which was brilliantly saved by Sportiello. Colley was pretty poor in defense, in particular in the episode of Ciofani's goal.

My ratings: Audero nv - Bereszysnki 5.5, Andersen 5.5, Colley 5, Tavares 5 - Praet 5.5, Ekdal 5.5 (Sau nv), Linetty 5.5 - Saponara 5 (Ramirez 5) - Quagliarella 5, Gabbiadini 5 (Defrel 5)

#67 ·
Inter-Samp

At HT, it's a pretty even game. I like Saponara starting, I guess he is fit. Let's see how long Giampaolo keeps him in. Defrel seems pretty dangerous, I wouldn't bet against him getting an assist. But who is going to score? Quagliarella doesn't look particularly sharp.

Also, I really hate it when they try to play out of defense from a goal kick. I know it led to a good chance about the 35th minute, but it still seems VERY risky to me. And, of course, Audero's weekly gaffe, but again, didn't cause a goal.

I guess no result would really surprise me, including a 0-0 finish. But, boy would it be nice to get the taste of last week's game out of our collective mouths.

#71 ·
The brace of Super-Quagliarella for a win at Ferrara. The first half could have easily been 4-0 thanks to Quagliarella, but in the second half Sampdoria risked and luckily a goal of SPAL was disallowed by the VAR for a few centimeters offside. The goal of SPAL came anyway, but in happened in the loss time.

#75 ·
Samp 1-2 Atalanta

That's a disappointment for sure. Home losses to Frosinone and Atalanta aren't the way to qualify for Europe. I can't watch the Sunday afternoon games, so I didn't see it. Is anyone betting against another 10th-place finish? Is finishing above Genoa supposed to make me happy? Am I not allowed to want more? Also, it kind of hurts that Zapata scored. I liked him.

By the way, someday I would like to attend a Derby della Lanterna. How can I get a ticket (preferably legally)? I want to be sure to sit with the Samp fans.

#76 ·
Yeah, I don't expect a real improvement to the previous two seasons, so it's 9th at best. that means if Fiorentina remain behind, which is all but a certainty. If I think to the final of the season in the previous two seasons not even the 10th spot is a certainty.

By the way, someday I would like to attend a Derby della Lanterna. How can I get a ticket (preferably legally)? I want to be sure to sit with the Samp fans.
Do you mean in the Gradinata Sud? That is not so easy.

#77 ·
Defrel crashed his car the night after the defeat to Atalanta and was found to have a level of alcohol in blood which didn't allow him to drive a car. He will be fined by the club but will be called up by Giampaolo nevertheless for the game at Sassuolo. Unfortunately both Saponara and Ramirez could miss the game instead.

#81 ·
Turning my computer on Saturday night, I certainty enjoyed seeing that score! I wasn't aware they were playing the afternoon game.
Something weird is happening: home losses (FRO, ATL) and away wins (SPAL, SAS).
The next three games are going to be a real test, though. Milan (h), Torino (a) and Roma (h). I think 6 points would be excellent. I think ACM and Roma are Saturday night, so at least I'll be able to watch them.

#84 ·
Whew! Boy, was my heart beating during that VAR review. I'm still not convinced the referee go it right, but I'll take it. I think they really needed a second goal, and, despite the really good performance, this goes down as a lucky win. For me, the MVP today was Colley. He blocked shots, including a sure goal inthe 45th minute, made tackles, and had only one mistake, sometime around the 75th minute, when he overran the ball inside the penalty area. No question that's the best performance I've seen from him.

2nd place goes to Linetty, whom I thought was everywhere, making tackles, passes and dribbles. He made one bad mistake in 2nd half injury time when he lost possession, and Milan had a good counter-attack.

In the first half, I think Quagliarella should have shot for the far post, instead of the near post, after Linetty (I think) put him wonderfully through. And what a play on the ball that hit the crossbar, even though I was yelling at the screen for him to tee up someone standing just outside the area.

I think Vieira was the weakest link - where is Ekdal?

#85 ·
I agree with everything you wrote.

Ekdal will be back soon. He got injured when playing for Sweden. Vieira recovered for this game so the poor perfomance can be justified.

As regards the penalty, whether it was one or it wasn't, I laugh at people talking about Rube-quality referees. No referee would ever deny a penalty to Milan in a game vs Sampdoria on purpose. There is simply no reason to do it. For a crooked referee it will always be big clubs > other clubs. Milan is a big club while Sampdoria isn't.

#87 ·
I'm sure what you wrote about referees leaning towards the big clubs is totally true - it was certainly true in Israeli soccer back in the years when I followed it a lot more closely than I do today.

And in Italy, there's proof, right? I think Inter in the 60s and Juve in the whole scandal about 10 years ago, no?

About this week's incident, if you watched it many times, I'll take your word.

Looking ahead to tonight, it's another big test - away game against a direct competitor for Europe. I admit to smiling when I read that Giampaolo is talking about the Champions' League. I guess it's some kind of motivational trick. And the name Andrea Belotti always makes me think of Andrea Bocelli.

#88 ·
Well, the Torino game was simply awful. What a let-down. I don't think I've seen a worse performance in the past 3 seasons (although I've certainly not seen all of the games). What can I say? The only shot of any kind was the goal. I guess all we can do is hope for better against Roma.

I actually missed a few minutes due to a technical problem with my computer, so I didn't see the goals...

#91 ·
And another defeat, to Roma, one of those teams just Sampdoria could resuscitate. I suppose the Derby della Lanterna will be very last unfriendly game of the season. I hope I'm wrong but this is the trend of Sampdoria in the last few seasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.