Serie A 2018/2019 - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 111 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2018, 20:49
Rookie

Teams: Israel, USA, Sampdoria, Arsenal, Villarreal, Cambridge
Oh well, even if there aren't many people around, we can still have a good discussion.

Didn't Viviano go to Sporting Lisbon or something like that? Why would he do that? It's not like Barcelona came calling...

I was also sorry to see Zapata leave, but, so far, Defrel is really pleasing.

I have a general observation: I hate that this team sells everything, every summer. Can't they try to build something? I'm not naive, and I know how soccer works, and that the "big" clubs buy everything, all the time, but, still...Samp used to be one of the top teams in Italy. I mean, the team finishes 8th and everyone is so happy... and this is a team that had Vialli, Mancini, Lombardo, Pagliuca, Michajlovic, Platt, Gullit, Seedorf, Karembeu, Veron, Montella (not all at the same time obviously). Those were top-level players. Now we're excited about Ekdal, with all due respect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2018, 22:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan View Post
Didn't Viviano go to Sporting Lisbon or something like that? Why would he do that? It's not like Barcelona came calling...
The management told him he was no more part of the project and he looked for a different club. There are rumors that it was Giampaolo who wanted the club to get rid of Silvestre and him.

Quote:
I have a general observation: I hate that this team sells everything, every summer. Can't they try to build something? I'm not naive, and I know how soccer works, and that the "big" clubs buy everything, all the time, but, still...Samp used to be one of the top teams in Italy. I mean, the team finishes 8th and everyone is so happy... and this is a team that had Vialli, Mancini, Lombardo, Pagliuca, Michajlovic, Platt, Gullit, Seedorf, Karembeu, Veron, Montella (not all at the same time obviously). Those were top-level players. Now we're excited about Ekdal, with all due respect
yeah, I wish the club could be back what used to be in the past. We have to hope that someone very rich buys the club.
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 22:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Another great defensive performance and a brilliant win at Bergamo thanks to a goal scored by a defender, Tonelli. Atalanta had a two, maybe three chances to score in all the game: a post hit by the former sampdoriano Zapata and El Papu Gomez wide shot in he first half, one save of Audero on Toloi's shot in the second half. The goalie of Atalanta surely had two more diffcult saves: on Andersen's header in the first half, on Ramirez in the second half.

My ratings: Audero 6.5 - Besreszynski 7, Tonelli 8, Andersen 7.5, Murru 7.5 - Praet 6.5, Ekdal 6.5, Linetty 6.5 (Barreto 6) - Caprari 5 (Ramirez 6) - Quagliarella 6, Defrel 5.5 (Kownacki nv)

Caprari is lost again, after a promising start of the season, Ramirez was definitely better than him this time.

post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2018, 22:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sampdoria - Sassuolo, next Monday night. Saponara is back so everyone is available but Regini.
post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2018, 20:35
Rookie

Well, it's halftime of the Sassuolo game, and things look at bit jittery. Some good chances for both teams, but I guess you'd like to see more dominance at home against a team that is not above Samp's level.
post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2018, 21:40
Rookie

Sassuolo Game

Boy, what a snorefest. Awful game, very disappointing performance from Sampdoria. I thought that Ramirez was awful, and should have been substituted earlier. Praet was scatterbrained, and Quagliarella was unusually subdued. One bright spot: I think Andersen and Tonelli are a really good defensive pairing. For Sassuolo, Berardi was a pain in the neck, and Babacar seems like nothing more than a crybaby. Boy, Saponara was ever so close with that volley. If only it would have gone in.
One question: why was Quagliarella substituted in the 86th minute? I mean, seriously, who is more likely to pull off some brilliant move that turns around a drab game in a flash: Kownacki or Quagliarella? There were only 4 minutes left, so it's not like fatigue should be an issue.

Do you think Samp tend to play down to their opponents level?
post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2018, 21:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Boy, what a snorefest. Awful game, very disappointing performance from Sampdoria. I thought that Ramirez was awful, and should have been substituted earlier. Praet was scatterbrained, and Quagliarella was unusually subdued. One bright spot: I think Andersen and Tonelli are a really good defensive pairing. For Sassuolo, Berardi was a pain in the neck, and Babacar seems like nothing more than a crybaby. Boy, Saponara was ever so close with that volley. If only it would have gone in.
One question: why was Quagliarella substituted in the 86th minute? I mean, seriously, who is more likely to pull off some brilliant move that turns around a drab game in a flash: Kownacki or Quagliarella? There were only 4 minutes left, so it's not like fatigue should be an issue.

Do you think Samp tend to play down to their opponents level?
The last question is a very interesting one. I wish I could have an answer for it. The trend is similar to the one of the past season, but defense has improved badly. So much that our opponents hardly shoot and challenge our goalie, who has been glorified by the Italian newspapers for conceding few goals, but hardly deserves the praise.
Unfortunately, after the brilliant start, our forwards can't hit a barn door right now and Ramirez can hardly provide assists anyway. This guy has the techncal skills but clearly lacks what is needed to keep the starting spot and a healthy Saponara will surely start over him.
As regards the Quagliarella-Kownacki question... again, I do not have an answer. All I know is that Kownacki hardly has a positive impact in games no matter whether he plays 5 minutes or half the game and if he doesnt improve we should consider the option to sell/loan him out at the end of the season.

The next game at Milan will be very interesting.
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2018, 22:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The performance was good, at least until we had the best player, Saponara, on the pitch, and until Quagliarella wasn't done (and alone). The difference in quality wasn't huge until the subs came in. Obviously we do not have Higuain and Suso, but Quagliarella and Saponara in the first half were comparable. Milan rely badly on them, while we try to play as a team. This is the difference between Gattuso and Giampaolo.

My ratings:
Audero 6 - Bereszynski 6, Andersen 5.5, Tonelli 5, Murru 6 (Sala 5) - Linetty 5.5, Ekdal 6, Praet 6 - Saponara 7 (Caprari 5.5) - Quagliarella 6.5, Defrel 5.5 (Kownacki 4)
post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2018, 22:43
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp View Post
The performance was good, at least until we had the best player, Saponara, on the pitch, and until Quagliarella wasn't done (and alone). The difference in quality wasn't huge until the subs came in. Obviously we do not have Higuain and Suso, but Quagliarella and Saponara in the first half were comparable. Milan rely badly on them, while we try to play as a team. This is the difference between Gattuso and Giampaolo.

My ratings:
Audero 6 - Bereszynski 6, Andersen 5.5, Tonelli 5, Murru 6 (Sala 5) - Linetty 5.5, Ekdal 6, Praet 6 - Saponara 7 (Caprari 5.5) - Quagliarella 6.5, Defrel 5.5 (Kownacki 4)

Suso and Higuain were decisive but this was actually one of the better team performances. And despite Rino's many errors he actually deserves credit for switching to a formation that worked and outplayed Samp. Only a few days ago against Betis, Milan looked a much worse team.

The thing that made the game close was a combination of Quagliarella's quality combined with two moments of defensive lapse for Milan.
post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2018, 22:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Suso and Higuain were decisive but this was actually one of the better team performances. And despite Rino's many errors he actually deserves credit for switching to a formation that worked and outplayed Samp.
outplayed? lol
post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2018, 23:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Milan had more shots on goal (Samp I believe had two, which came from Musacchio and Calabria losing their position plus Quag's class). Not much between the sides in possession (Milan slightly edged it). So why you lol? I don't want to sound antagonistic in your forum but honestly I thought Milan were the better team.
post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2018, 23:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Milan had more shots on goal (Samp I believe had two, which came from Musacchio and Calabria losing their position plus Quag's class). Not much between the sides in possession (Milan slightly edged it). So why you lol? I don't want to sound antagonistic in your forum but honestly I thought Milan were the better team.
Be antagonistic as much as you want. If you have watched the game you know Sampdoria weren't outplayed in spite of the huge difference in quality which is highlighted by the duel Suso vs Jacopo Sala. Milan deserved to win, they are by far the better crop of players, but the better "team" in the sense of playing better football? No way. Gattuso deserves credit for fielding the players who could defeat Sampdoria, but that's it. Face a better opponent than Sampdoria, who also play good football, and Gattuso goes home. Easily.

Last edited by ToniSamp; October 28th, 2018 at 23:37.
post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2018, 21:56
Rookie

That game was a real disappointment, and I continue to claim that Samp had a better team last year. I love Saponara, though. Kownacki seems quite useless, as we've mentioned here before. I'm afraid that if Quagliarella got seriously hurt, this team could be relegation candidates. The entire attack seems to go and come with him. I wish we still had Zapata.

What do you think - is the Europa League realistic, or is it just another season of mid-table obscurity?
post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2018, 22:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
That game was a real disappointment, and I continue to claim that Samp had a better team last year. I love Saponara, though. Kownacki seems quite useless, as we've mentioned here before. I'm afraid that if Quagliarella got seriously hurt, this team could be relegation candidates. The entire attack seems to go and come with him. I wish we still had Zapata.

What do you think - is the Europa League realistic, or is it just another season of mid-table obscurity?

The past season told us that even a brilliant season can become a disappointment. The start of this season was very good, the way it was in the past season, hopefully our team won't repeat the results of the last season (and of the previous one... and of the one before it!) in spring.
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2018, 22:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Awful performance today vs Torino at Marassi. A game I want to forget.

Ratings:
Audero 5 - a clumsy foul on Belotti for the penalty, not so convincing on Iago's goal, static on the goal line when the ball dances inside the goal area before Izzo kicks it inside the goal
Bereszinski 4.5 - one of his worst performances, he is owned completely by Aina
Tonelli 5 - poor on Belotti who jumped over him for the first goal
Andersen 5 - his peculiarity lately is that you hardly realize he is on the pitch, contrarily to his fellows defenders. You can't hide!
Murru 4 - destroyed by De Silvestri, who isn't Garrincha, but crossed 122,238 times
Praet 5.5 - gained the penalty and tried something but not enough
Ekdal 5 - destroyed by the midfield of Torino
Barreto nv (Linetty 5 - back to disappointing standards)
Saponara 5 - very poor tonight (Defrel 5 - the injury surely affected his performance)
Caprari 5 - an unlucky shot in the first half is not enough. Another player who is back to his disappointing standards (Kownacki 5 - the usual 10 minutes of nothing)
Quagliarella 5.5 - a lot of fans want him out, but I wonder whether they understand that without Quagliarella we are even worse!
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2018, 22:08
Legend

Teams: Juve, Italy, USMNT
How has Audero been this season? Nice stats.
post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2018, 22:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavnedved View Post
How has Audero been this season? Nice stats.
I don't want to be harsh with a 21 yo goalie but I believe he is average at best. He is a goalie with two obvious deficiencies: saving close to the ground shots and coming out of the goal line. He will never be Juventus material, that for sure, and there is no way Sampdoria would make it a full transfer for 10+ million euros, according to agreements. The two clubs might arrange another year loan, but honestly I hope Sampdoria move on to a different goalie at the end of this season, unless Rafael or Belec gains the starting spot before and Audero goes back to Juventus in January.

Last edited by ToniSamp; November 4th, 2018 at 22:36.
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2018, 21:39
Rookie

Ouch.
I didn't see any part of this game, and didn't have the heart to watch the highlights. But it must have been disgusting. I hope it's just an aberration.
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2018, 21:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Roma - Sampdoria 4-1

I didn't watch this game but when I read the starting lineup I know it could hardly be anythng different from a defeat. No Quagliarella, no Saponara, no Ekdal, no Tonelli... I read Ronaldo Vieira did well and so Colley, but in attack Caprari was completely useless and Ramirez was the disappointing player we are getting accustomed to.
See you in two weeks for the Derby della Lanterna, a game of desperate clubs, the way it happens most of times, the one (two indeed) satisfaction in the season for the supporters of the club who wins it (them).
post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2018, 22:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby della Lanterna 1-1

It's the result I would have predicted, but the performance of Sampdoria was disappointing. Unfortunately I fear we overrated the quality of the roster after a few brilliant performances at the beginning of the season.

Audero 6 - provoked the pk with the usual blunder, a misunderstanding with Andersen this time (one blunder per game is not a good thing!), but made at least three great saves afterwards
Bereszynski 6 - in terms of fighting spirit he hardly disappoints
Tonelli 5 - lately he often does the most stupid thing. Lost.
Andersen 5 - see Audero for the blunder. A few more defaillances.
Murru 6 - no mistakes
Praet 4.5 - after the renewal of the contract and the increase in the wages everyone expected another kind of performance
Ekdal 6 - he is not Torreira, but this is not his fault, he is alone in the midfield and again it is not his fault
Jankto 4 - now it should be clear to everyone the reason why Giampaolo prefers Barreto and Linetty
Ramirez 6 - we expected Saponara to play but in the end the one who started was the Uruguayan player. Not always precise but one of the few who tried (Saponara 5.5 - probably unfit, in a quarter of hour showed us the reason why Ramirez started)
Quagliarella 7 - he is always the one we can rely on, one goal for him
Defrel 5 - a ghost (Caprari 5 - another ghost)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in