Strugatsky bros - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2018, 23:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Strugatsky bros

I think Andy has read some of their books. I haven't but was going to purchase a couple of their works today on Kindle. Hard to be a God sounds really good. I'll let you know what I think.

Btw there's a woman in my class who's a fan of Lem. I need to ask her what she's read, didn't get the opportunity last time.

btw, how closely does Stalker follow Roadside Picnic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; March 8th, 2018 at 23:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 01:43
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Stalker is basically based on the last chapters of Roadside Picnic...it pretty much ignores most of the book

Funny that you made this thread as I've been reading Strugatskys a lot recently

I'd recommend starting from Noon: 22nd Century...other books from the Noon universe which are definitely worth reading are Space Mowgli (their most Lem-like book) and Far Rainbow (both are excellent mini-novels).

from the Noon books about "progressorism" (that is, the influencing of less developed humanoid civilizations according to enlightened Earth's vision): the last two books of the Maxim Kammerer trilogy: Beetle in the Anthill and The Great Revelation (or The Time Wanderers, as it is known in English for some weird reason). I didn't like the first part of the trilogy (Prisoners of Power) although it can be viewed as a veiled criticism of the Soviet way of life. Hard to Be a God is also pretty good...it is basically a study of totalitarianism but it's a bit hard to take this book seriously as a sci fi. The Kid from Hell is quite similar to it.

I recently re-read an early Noon book The Land of Crimson Clouds...this is basically hard sci fi and describes an expedition to Venus. For some reason it doesn't take into account the insane temperature and atmospheric pressure on the planet..it's more like a tropical Mars teeming with life where humans wearing protective suits can easily walk around. If you're willing to overlook this then it's actually pretty good.

Two brilliant books nominally linked with Noon universe but I'd say they stand apart very distinctively in terms of style and I wouldn't call them sci fi at all: Snail on the Slope (possibly their best book) and The Final Circle of Paradise

Second Invasion from Mars - a quite hilarious and also deeply disquieting book about a fictional city in a fictional country succumbing to the "soft power" of the Martians...although this is pure allegory it also describes human behavior quite realistically.

Dead Mountaineer's Hotel - another very good book: a detective mystery with an extraterrestial element, takes place somewhere in central Europe in the 60s or 70s. There's a great Estonian movie based on it which might be on youtube.

Roadside Picnic - another great standalone book blending several genres and topics; the general vibe of it is completely different from Stalker.

Ugly Swans - also a standalone book, I remember practically nothing about it so I doubt I liked it a lot...it was quite surreal, similar to Snail on a Slope in style but vastly inferior IMO.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 01:57 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Snail on the Slope will be getting an English translation later in the year, thankfully.

I actually think I saw that Estonian movie you mentioned a while back.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 01:58
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I'm quite sure it has been translated before...I think I might even have English text version of it somewhere.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 02:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

You're right. But on Amazon the cheapest English copies are 32 pounds second hand. I'll just wait for the new translation in August. Not too long away

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 02:10
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

those early Noon books are pretty special in a way...very optimistic...about a world which has basically reached the communist ideals (they are maybe the only writers to describe such a world in a captivating way) and has now set their sights on stars. Noon: 22nd Century, Far Rainbow and The Time Wanderers are all written in this style, with positivist-scientific approach.

in those Progressorism books like Hard to be God and Prisoners of Power and The Kid from Hell they are basically writing about the Earth's past and present (although nominally those Earths are other planets in faraway systems)...what would happen if some agent from this ideal communism 22nd century world would come and try to change this world from within?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2018, 02:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'm not sure, really.

I think you'd like my writing class. You'd definitely contribute well to the discussions.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in