VICIPĆDIA - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
VICIPĆDIA

Just noticed it has some 127,000 pages in latin.

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegyptus

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2015, 15:21
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_Clingon

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 03:05
Legend

I wish I could read and write latin

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 14:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I sometimes lament not having read vergil or indead the death of virgil, but then i shake myself, it's useless knowledge, it can even make you dumber, much like XT.

I heard someone suggest the British focus on the classics as opposed to the German focus on technical sciences is what almost got the brits defeated twice (a participant in melvyn bragg's in our time, i believe).
She even may be right, now more than ever, what with asian century, the western canon buried.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 14:30
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
I must add, not having read Virgil is a flaw of character, even if you can only read the crapest translation around. See what it did to Ezra Pound.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 14:56
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
I sometimes lament not having read vergil or indead the death of virgil, but then i shake myself, it's useless knowledge, it can even make you dumber, much like XT.

I heard someone suggest the British focus on the classics as opposed to the German focus on technical sciences is what almost got the brits defeated twice (a participant in melvyn bragg's in our time, i believe).
She even may be right, now more than ever, what with asian century, the western canon buried.
You're not necessary an average Brit or German, and you spend some time on XT which you could use for other studies, so no one is asking to study one thing at the exclusion of the other.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 15:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Well, since I'm over 30, any new study would only be a hobby at best anyway.

I used to believe translations of classics were better and truer the older they were (e.g. the recent 1990s translation of the Odysse uses the good Danish words "grill" and "kebab" ). But at some point I was convinced by conventional wisdom, that a classic must be translated every 40 years. First "wave" of translations happened in the 19th century by Romantics and post-romantics and it's really just like reading Danish literature from that period, not sure Pound would've liked those anyway.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2016, 15:49
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Pound would probally prefer them to Virgil, as he always said Virgil was a bad poet saved by the translators.

Anyways, classics translations is a matter of choice. Some modern translations may give you something new to chew. There is also the matter of a give country actually developing a decent translation tradition. Until thr 50s, for example, Homer translations are made in portugal or too similar to portuguese versions. I like George Chapman translations, mostly because the english style, close to Shakespeare, in the middle of Milton blank verse translation, pre-romantic. I also like to compare the translations of classic authors, like Elizabeth Barret translation of Prometheus, but it is just because i like her poems overall.

At any rate, new translations means more chances for reading a classic, in a new way.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2016, 17:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Recent New Yorker cartoon.

Good idea, not the best/funniest execution.

There is only one "poet" in all of Denmark (sic) who can actually read Latin these days, not sure about his Greek. Small country. Luckily, the guy who did the kebab translation was actully quite awesome, and did all of Ovid + Homer + the Aeneid + a some Greek dramas before he died a few years back, so that's enough classics for me for the next 30 years. And he came up with (or may have been Ovid) one of my most often used lines.. asked whether he'd rather be handsome/boring or ugly/funny he said the latter, since you can keep being funny as you get old.

But yes, I must improve my fascism and read the Aeneid instead of XT.

Not bigotting

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2016, 00:30
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Virgil will save you.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2016, 15:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I did latin for two years at school. All I remember is how to colour in a Toga Praetexta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in