An exploration of Australian literature. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2014, 09:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
An exploration of Australian literature.

In the coming weeks, and hopefully months I'd like to focus my reading attention exclusively on Australian literature. So in this thread I'll be posting descriptions of the books I'm reading and of course tell you whether I'm enjoying them or not.

First up will be Eucalyptus by Murray Bail:

The gruff widower Holland has two possessions he cherishes above all others:

his sprawling property of eucalyptus trees and his ravishingly beautiful daughter, Ellen.

When Ellen turns nineteen Holland makes an announcement: she may marry only the man who can correctly name the species of each of the hundreds of gum trees on his property.

Ellen is uninterested in the many suitors who arrive from around the world, until one afternoon she chances on a strange, handsome young man resting under a Coolibah tree. In the days that follow, he spins dozens of tales set in cities, deserts, and faraway countries. As the contest draws to a close, Ellen and the stranger's meetings become more erotic, the stories more urgent. Murray Bail's rich narrative is filled with unexpected wisdom about art, feminine beauty, landscape, and language. Eucalyptus is a shimmering love story that affirms the beguiling power of storytelling itself.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/319480.Eucalyptus

It's crazy but a part of me would love to someday read every single book on this list.

I really love the sound of this book, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if it bored me as I imagine it'll have lots of descriptive, flowery writing, with a slow, meandering plot... I hope I manage to enjoy it, anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 13:12
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
I've only read Alan Marshall and Steele Rudd from Aussie writers. Marshall's autobiographical trilogy is IMO definitely worth checking out.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in