LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 10:42 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Harold Bloom's Western Canon

http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#chaos

USA seems way overrepresented.

Scandinavia and Germany 20th century hugely underrepped.

Not sure why from French new wave authors Robbe-Grillet and Sarraute are there but no Butor.

opinions?

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 13:33
Legend

Here I respond to you from another thread about this list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
tbh that's only slightly less ridiculous than forcing oneself to watch all imdb top 250 movies...it's unlikely that you'll like most of it

better to go with the natural flow of your own choices
I have often found that I used to read books aimlessly, almost without accumulating culture. I have found, for example, modernist literature powerful but shallow in some sense, and that is because I had not read a tradition that comes before it. For example, I believe that I can get more out of Kafka given that I have read Homer before, and so it is part of this project to get an overall culture that satisfies the variety of human values and sentiments. The quest for meaning, for example, was never as eloquently and explicitly spoken of than in religious texts, and there is thus something to get out of them before reading atheistic searches for meaning that populate our modernist literature.

Of course, one might agree and disagree on specific ommissions/inclusions, but as a newb I find this list quite useful. I am only starting the Theocratic age now and I had not heard of most of these works, and those I had heard of I never would have had the motivation to read, like Homer or even the Jewish and Christian bible.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 13:57 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

if you'll work through this list in chronological order it will take you years until you reach modern authors

but it's a cool project

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 14:17
Legend

Quote:
if you'll work through this list in chronological order it will take you years until you reach modern authors

but it's a cool project
With school restarting, I would be surprised if I didn't give up reading altogether. But yes, I will try to do at least the theocratic age because it seems high yield, and indeed just that section can take a long time at my pace, though I will certainly skip more than half the works by same authors. Then when it comes to writing from all the different nations in the later eras, I will likely skip a lot as well.

This is all assuming I stick to it, which is highly unlikely given how massive and orderly it is. As you said, our interests stray sometimes.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 18:03
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleopatra View Post
I have often found that I used to read books aimlessly, almost without accumulating culture. I have found, for example, modernist literature powerful but shallow in some sense, and that is because I had not read a tradition that comes before it. For example, I believe that I can get more out of Kafka given that I have read Homer before, and so it is part of this project to get an overall culture that satisfies the variety of human values and sentiments. The quest for meaning, for example, was never as eloquently and explicitly spoken of than in religious texts, and there is thus something to get out of them before reading atheistic searches for meaning that populate our modernist literature.

Of course, one might agree and disagree on specific ommissions/inclusions, but as a newb I find this list quite useful. I am only starting the Theocratic age now and I had not heard of most of these works, and those I had heard of I never would have had the motivation to read, like Homer or even the Jewish and Christian bible.
Homer is Homer exactly because nobody needs to read him to relate to his tradition in some modernized sense. Anyways, you will never read Homer, you are reading the specific traditions of his translations. There is no way you will not feel how well Chapman translate the dialogues inside the Iliad, specially considering he belongs to the Shakespearean time.

Anyways, sometimes chronology has little to do with the influence of a text, you can basically ignore all Homer for all Medieval literature and stick to Virgil and mostly Ovid's Metamorphosis. This will be true until the romantic age, when there was enough greek translations of Homer to make his direct influence that relevant. Still, those two level of influence is up there with the Bible. Which is a problem of Bloom's list... It does guide blindly.

As the list of modern times, you think USA is over represented, Andy? Look the number of jewish authors that obviously almost nobody heard about and Bloom lists. He is an anglophobe, beyond that area there is a lot of blanks reggard his knowledge. The Latim American list (which he groups in a single tradition, which would be the same as putting together Spain-Portugal or France-Germany) is as flawed as one can get too.

With old age, he became obssessed with academic feuds against the feminist/political correct/african/neo-marxism reading of the canon (the battle against the white male writer) and less of a critic. Together with this, he also turned in a new-spiritual path, searching his jewish origens... Those bias are all in the list.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 18:06 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

yes I was going to mention the over-representation of Jews as well but didn't want to come off as anti-semitic (for a change)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2014, 18:07
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I just suggested Mori to read the Quran, so I am well qualified for the task.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2014, 23:38
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
Quote:

but it's a cool project
I want to know how StillLearning's 'bend it like JCam' project is going.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2014, 23:46
Legend

thanks for your input JCam, I will go easy on the J
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2014, 23:52
Xtratime Legend

Really, instead of going through a canon cover to cover, I would just read, say, Ulysses and read it good, like, for 3 months back and forth + secondary literature.

I'd rather read 1 classic work + 4 critical/scholarly works about it, instead of reading 5 classic works and then just move on.

OK, maybe not if we're talking about, say, classic normal 19th century novels, but still even in many of those cases.

But that's just me. Or was, until I started reading the Quran.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2014, 18:44
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
I want to know how StillLearning's 'bend it like JCam' project is going.
I should have told him to dig Bloom's list. One year without posting would turn in a decade...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2014, 18:53
Xtratime Legend

Actually, he may have given up soon after already when he discovered the Gramsci-Alinsky conspiracy/revolution to bring down morals in the West, his educational project unwittingly being a part of that.

Not bigotting

Quote:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2014, 19:08
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

No, his philosophical guru claims to be a translator of Aristoteles and Schopenhauer (despite not knowing greek or german) and will be writting the preface of the release of one of the books of greatfather next years. At this point, his determination to keep the project must be huge.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2014, 22:25
Legend

I read all but the last tablet of Gilgamesh and couldn't take it anymore (other life stresses I guess). I've moved on to the Bible now... never thought I'd be reading it but it's nice to see where so many references come from!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2014, 16:02
Legend

Ok, the bible is pretty boring, but the Sayings of the Desert Fathers are excellent. I've enjoyed this read so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in