Virginia Woolf - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2012, 16:16 Thread Starter
CULT OF PERSONALITY
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: MANCHESTER UNITED, Shillong Lajong FC.
Virginia Woolf

First of all I am not into literature very much. I do read books and novels, often not completely understanding the whole situation but in bits, overall but not in detail,. And most of them are read randomly without much selection or choice of author or style or genre. Always bit confused and since I dont have an adequate grasp of the language(english here), I am not a decent judge either.

So about the thread, in the syllabus of my subject Additional English(an extra english subject if we dont take our own language, I suck at nepali) we have this short story "The Duchess and the Jeweller" written by Woolf. I found this story quite amusing, dont know whether literature experts consider it very well constructed or technically good but what I liked about it was the way she described a simple story in a deeper way with more detail and small gestures which described the character very well. So my question is I dont know much about woolf besides reading random bios on net. So it would be great if you guys(gulz) recommend me which book or novel of her would be worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
She told me again she loves me , and I said I love myself too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:39
Legend

Teams: Serbia
Sorry mate, I've never read one of her novels.. I reckon just pick the one you feel most attracted to.

I will brawl with the God. When I win, I will take spoils to the poster known as, Serb.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:50
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: NY Rangers
A manic depressive feminist not worth reading.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 14:29
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
You gotta be a normal boring person, otherwise your books aren't worth reading.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 14:32
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen_P View Post
A manic depressive feminist not worth reading.
Why? Do bipolar feminists not have anything worth saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 14:37
Xtratime Legend

Entartete Literatur.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 16:40
Legend

Teams: Juve, Italy, USMNT
Not sure why any straight guy would be into Woolf. And none of her novels were in the high school reading lists. That should answer the OP's Q.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 18:37
Xtratime Legend

So you only read them because you're gay?

Not bigotting

Quote:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 19:12
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavnedved View Post
Not sure why any straight guy would be into Woolf.
Maybe consider that not everybody is as insecure as you.

Quote:
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 19:45
Legend

That wasn't a dig at your masculinity. The obvious point was that her novels aren't at the top of American literature, and she caters more towards females. ...But if you thought so and are that insecure about your masculinity, I'm not bothered.

cam, considering how emotional, serious and insecure you are, I'm hardly surprised that you're into Woolf and facsimile. You probably sob watching chick flicks.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:04
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Homes, I like her novel Orlando a lot. It is actually easy to read, but the deal is the text has a lot of references to the history of english literature and you may miss some amusing jokes. Otherwise it is a funny book.

If you liked her description and all, maybe you can try a shot on Mrs Dalloway.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:04
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavnedved View Post
That wasn't a dig at your masculinity. The obvious point was that her novels aren't at the top of American literature, and she caters more towards females. ...But if you thought so and are that insecure about your masculinity, I'm not bothered.

cam, considering how emotional, serious and insecure you are, I'm hardly surprised that you're into Woolf and facsimile. You probably sob watching chick flicks.
I've never read Virginia Woolf so of course it's not a dig at my masculinity, although I like that you then take a dig at my masculinity, that's quite funny. You deserve a gold star for irony. My reading list is far too long to have gotten that far down it yet. But reading "lol dis shit not for str8 gaiz" is the most tediously boring critique of anything ever. It's lazy, poorly thought out rot. If you've nothing worth saying then why saying anything? Homes asked a perfectly legit question & if you can't answer it then why share your opinion? Or have you *shock horror* actually read this author who is just for tha poofs & chicks?

You silly little boy.

Quote:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:19
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Meh, not being in high school readings probally places her higher than lower in the literary world. She is easily reggarded as one of the top writers of XX century, one of the most relevant critics of england in early XX century as well.

Her books are way beyong feminism, in fact, today they seem rather moderate feminism. They are just good, Orlando is great work of fantasy.

Plus, It is Homes.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:26
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
"lol dis shit not for str8 gaiz"
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. You should try to limit your confusion with yourself and your surroundings with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
Homes asked a perfectly legit question & if you can't answer it then why share your opinion?.
And I gave him a perfectly legit answer in a humorous-ish way and in accordance to my opinion. He said he's not into literature much, and I told him there's better out there and about the type of writer she is and her main audience-base briefly. If he really is interested in or curious about Woolf, then of course there's nothing wrong with it, lol, and I agree with JC's suggestion in Mrs. Dalloway. Like I said, it wasn't a dig at anybody, and as usual, you made a big deal out of nothing, lol, like a true below-average and shared your silliness. Now, that I've explained something simple to you, trot along and be merry like below, you edgy:

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258658
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:31
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
Meh, not being in high school readings probally places her higher than lower in the literary world. She is easily reggarded as one of the top writers of XX century, one of the most relevant critics of england in early XX century as well.

Her books are way beyong feminism, in fact, today they seem rather moderate feminism. They are just good, Orlando is great work of fantasy.

Plus, It is Homes.
By top, I meant top-most. For a person who hasn't read literature much, there are better American novels out there. Also, like you said, it may be hard for him to understand some of it.

But yeah, go for it if you're interested Homes. Check it out.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2012, 21:54
Xtratime Legend

High-school teachers don't usually use Proust or Joyce either or fvcking Robert Musil.... and those who do put Woolf on the currilculum can be forgiven, I suppose, for oversimplifying and presenting her as the early 20th century Fay Weldon. I mean high school students ffs, what can you do.

Not at the top of American literature eh lol.

Not bigotting

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in