Coelho says Ulysses is "harmful" for literature; thinks he's better than Joyce - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2012, 18:46 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Coelho says Ulysses is "harmful" for literature; thinks he's better than Joyce

Paulo Coelho: James Joyce's Ulysses is 'harmful' to literature
Brazilian writer dismisses modernist classic about a day in the life of Leopold Bloom as 'pure style'

'There is nothing there' … Paulo Coelho rubbishes James Joyce's Ulysses.

James Joyce's Ulysses has topped poll after poll to be named the greatest novel of the 20th century, but according to Paulo Coelho, the book is "a twit".

Speaking to Brazilian newspaper Folha de S Paulo, Coelho said the reason for his own popularity was that he is "a modern writer, despite what the critics say". This doesn't mean his books are experimental, he added – rather, "I'm modern because I make the difficult seem easy, and so I can communicate with the whole world."

Writers go wrong, according to Coelho, when they focus on form, not content. "Today writers want to impress other writers," he told the paper. "One of the books that caused great harm was James Joyce's Ulysses, which is pure style. There is nothing there. Stripped down, Ulysses is a twit."

Coelho's spiritual novels and books – his latest, Manuscrito encontrado em Accra, is set in 1099 Jerusalem as the Crusaders prepare to attack – have sold more than 115m copies in more than 160 countries. Ulysses, Joyce's 265,000-word modernist novel about a day in the life of Leopold Bloom in Dublin, was first published with a print run of 1,000 copies in 1922. Those first editions now sell for up to £100,000, and the novel is celebrated every year on 16 June around the world, the day Bloom wandered through Dublin.

Although Ulysses frequently tops best novel lists, Coelho is not the first to criticise Joyce's masterpiece. Roddy Doyle said in 2004 that the novel "could have done with a good editor", and doubted that people putting it in the top 10 books ever written "were really moved by it".

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2012, 01:01
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
How can a book be a twit? People are twits. Books are inanimate objects. It might be shit, it might be written by a twit, but it cannot be a twit.

I'm outraged that this Johnny Foreigner has had his interview translated badly into English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2012, 03:24
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United
**** cohelo and his tippy-tappy no content bullshit.

[email protected] DA BE$TZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2012, 07:37
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Arsenal
I haven't even read Ulysses and I'm OUTRAGED!

Red is a pleasant colour
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2012, 00:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Guy needs to go back to his favela and dance with trannies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2012, 22:06
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
You know I fecking like you mf, but that was really un uninspired comment...

...on the subject..I'm a bit surprise, I never like the dude's work and what he represents, but he never was that kind of idiot regarding talking about former writers...might be some twisted marketing trick or he finally lost himself...

BTW even Ulysses can be critized, but in such manner looks like made it by Roncero (the AS "journalist")

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"

Last edited by Fangio; December 22nd, 2012 at 18:57.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2012, 22:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Coelho has probably less to do with a favela than Joyce did.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2012, 22:24
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Looks like Liternit landed a job in PR.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2012, 16:20
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
You know I fecking like you mf, but that was really un uninspired comment...

...on the subject..I'm a bit surprise, I never like the dude's work and what he represents, but he never was that kind of idiot regarding talking about former writers...might be some twisted marketing trick or he finally lost himself...

BTW even Ulysses can be critized, but in such manner looks like made it by Roncero (the AS "journalist")
He was a bit like this before. I recall once he said he could write books like Joyce if he wanted, just he didnt... It is when Borges is concerned that he is all "respectful", after all, Borges is almost a handymade over simplification of complicated literature... He just used to do it when he was defending against high brow criticism, but now he is doing to get the spotlight, some sort of controversy bs. But this is stupidy, he would get more light saying J.K.Rowling copied Harry Potter from his books...

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 21:33
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
He was a bit like this before. I recall once he said he could write books like Joyce if he wanted, just he didnt... It is when Borges is concerned that he is all "respectful", after all, Borges is almost a handymade over simplification of complicated literature... He just used to do it when he was defending against high brow criticism, but now he is doing to get the spotlight, some sort of controversy bs. But this is stupidy, he would get more light saying J.K.Rowling copied Harry Potter from his books...
So he did it before and it's some silly marketing...

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 21:40
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Pretty much, a few days after it he said "I made people think" and claimed people are hurting his free speech rights by telling him how dumb it was.

He is pretty much the ibrahimovic of literature.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 21:49
Legend

I don't like what you are doing to Ibra there..

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 21:56
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I am no Pique, so his disapointment must be even bigger than yours.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 22:04
Legend

...and all leads to Shakira's arse, which is a lot better subject for Coehlo to talk about, thought he more than probably will fail there too..

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2013, 22:06
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Unless he says "I could have been the father of Shakira coming baby"...

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2013, 15:55
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Paulo Coelho for real

Zlatan Ibrahimovic não pára de surpreender. Desta vez, o avançado sueco gozou Cristiano Ronaldo, mas também Messi, assinalam diversas publicações internacionais, embora sem especificar a quem terão prestadas tais declarações.

O avançado português foi o mais ridicularizado pelo sueco. "Ele é um privilegiado, assiste sempre da primeira fila à entrega dos prémios a Messi", afirmou Ibrahimovic, antes de considerar que o jogador do Real Madrid nem sequer deviar ter estado entre os três finalistas na votação que decidiu o melhor jogador do Mundo de 2012.

"Há pelo menos dez jogadores melhores do que Ronaldo", afirmou Ibrahimovic, que está a realizar uma grande temporada no Paris Saint-Germain, onde já marcou 18 golos em 16 jogos realizados.

Depois de se meter com Ronaldo, seguiu-se Messi, com quem Ibrahimovic brincou por causa da sua baixa estatura. "Ele pode ter mais uma Bola de Ouro, mas não consegue comprar chocolates numa máquina sem antes subir para cima de uma caixa", afirmou.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2013, 20:06
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
Paulo Coelho for real

Zlatan Ibrahimovic não pára de surpreender. Desta vez, o avançado sueco gozou Cristiano Ronaldo, mas também Messi, assinalam diversas publicações internacionais, embora sem especificar a quem terão prestadas tais declarações.

O avançado português foi o mais ridicularizado pelo sueco. "Ele é um privilegiado, assiste sempre da primeira fila à entrega dos prémios a Messi", afirmou Ibrahimovic, antes de considerar que o jogador do Real Madrid nem sequer deviar ter estado entre os três finalistas na votação que decidiu o melhor jogador do Mundo de 2012.

"Há pelo menos dez jogadores melhores do que Ronaldo", afirmou Ibrahimovic, que está a realizar uma grande temporada no Paris Saint-Germain, onde já marcou 18 golos em 16 jogos realizados.

Depois de se meter com Ronaldo, seguiu-se Messi, com quem Ibrahimovic brincou por causa da sua baixa estatura. "Ele pode ter mais uma Bola de Ouro, mas não consegue comprar chocolates numa máquina sem antes subir para cima de uma caixa", afirmou.
See, he is 10 times better than Cohelo..he is in Romario's trolling level..

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2013, 22:39
Rising Star

i dont know much about litterature and havent read ulysses but i hate coelho.his platitudes are from hell and he's a murderer

bluerhuahegjg
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2013, 08:38
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Rep. of Ireland
what a stupid c*nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacka View Post

It's not as if the centipede would have a functioning digestive system.

I could glue a couple of pieces of cardboard as wings onto my car, but I wouldn't call it a functioning flying car even if it would be able to "fly" 50 meters if I drove it at full speed off a cliff.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2014, 21:12 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Goodreads ratings:

Coelho's The Alchemist 3.74 avg rating — 812,488 votes

Joyce's Ulysses 3.72 avg rating - ‎58,383 votes

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in