E-Reader - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2011, 06:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Benfica
E-Reader

Does anyone have a kindle or something similar?

How do you rate it?

What about an Ipad for reading? Amazon have just put kindle on html5 which means you can buy books from the ipad.

I'm looking into getting an e-reader

Don't worry.... it only seems kinky the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2011, 00:42
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
I got a Kindle for Xmas. The only thing it has over the book is that it is lighter and thinner. The number of typographical errors in almost every thing I've read using it has been incredible. I read an entire book that kept insisting in the text that World War I ran from 1014 to 1018. Maybe that is just Amazon's lack of respect for the reader, since my sister has a SONY e-reader and she says she sees typos only very rarely. Still it ****ing aggravates me to no end. Plus, most books I'd like to read are not available--on Amazon, I am sure the Guttenberg project has them, but those are difficult to get on Kindle due to formatting issues--for example, something like Remembrance of Things Past (a very heavy doorstop of many volumes that my weak little stick arms can't lug about) might be the sort of thing I'd like to read on the Kindle...not available. But they (e readers) are very light and thin, I'll give them that.
Actually, I think this makes me sound like a luddite curmudgeon (who me? ) who hates the future, but that is not really true. E-readers are fine for what they are, a light-weight thing to carry on the bus, read the best-sellers etc.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2011, 08:51 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Benfica
I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the insight

I had no idea there could be errors. Then again I'm not smart enough to be reading obscure books so the best sellers could be enough for me.

Don't worry.... it only seems kinky the first time.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2012, 19:22
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
Since most books are available in PDF/mobi/epub, I bought a HP Touchpad during the firesale and it's performed flawlessly for me. It's heavier than a kindle but it does a fair few more things, so it was an excellent purchase. I have noticed in Epub and Mobi formats that there are symbol/typo errors, which are very annoying and turn me off from reading them so I have stayed with PDF when available. Not as good for bookmarking and such but it gets the job done without irritation.

alm:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2012, 07:03
Rookie

I have a Kindle 3 which I think they have branded as the Kindle keyboard when the new ones rolled out. It is really nice and very useful for me. I love reading books though have no inclination to carry big blocks everywhere I go around.

I love the new one with just a few buttons though I see no point in upgrading other than from getting a newer one so I guess that I will stick with this probably until it reads no more and just dies on me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2012, 23:58
JD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I got a Kindle for Xmas. The only thing it has over the book is that it is lighter and thinner. The number of typographical errors in almost every thing I've read using it has been incredible. I read an entire book that kept insisting in the text that World War I ran from 1014 to 1018. Maybe that is just Amazon's lack of respect for the reader, since my sister has a SONY e-reader and she says she sees typos only very rarely. Still it ****ing aggravates me to no end. Plus, most books I'd like to read are not available--on Amazon, I am sure the Guttenberg project has them, but those are difficult to get on Kindle due to formatting issues--for example, something like Remembrance of Things Past (a very heavy doorstop of many volumes that my weak little stick arms can't lug about) might be the sort of thing I'd like to read on the Kindle...not available. But they (e readers) are very light and thin, I'll give them that.
Actually, I think this makes me sound like a luddite curmudgeon (who me? ) who hates the future, but that is not really true. E-readers are fine for what they are, a light-weight thing to carry on the bus, read the best-sellers etc.
Surely that's just someone who's scanned the book?

I can't imagine there'd be errors in a book bought from Amazon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2012, 00:50
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United
I dont know what the status is but. DONT BUY AN IPAD TO READ A BOOK, or A KINDLE FIRE.

I have a kindle and its okay. Nothing amazing. I read books on it, it's light, I get books for free.

[email protected] DA BE$TZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2012, 20:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
I bought a Kindle Touch through a friend in the US when it was not yet available internationally. The device is good, light and thin. Unlike a tablet PC (iPad for example) light reflection is almost non-existent, so you can read comfortably.

reading PDF was pain since it didn't have a landscape mode but they have introduced that 3 weeks ago, so pdfs are much better now. Typos and formatting? I hardly find any from the books I bought from Amazon.

It will be extremely useful to me (and that's the primary reason for buying it) when I go back home, where shipping costs are too high to buy books regularly.

My weekly rant!

27th May 1965: Over 16,000 days.

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

"وما الحيله فقد اراد اعدائي ان يغطوا كل خدماتي بغطاء اسود وقد نجحوا في ذلك."

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2012, 20:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Download the E-calibre software and convert the books at Guttenberg project to the mobi format.

My weekly rant!

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2012, 15:27
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
I'm thinking about getting one. I tried using my HP Touchpad as an e-reader, but it's just too big and cumbersome. I'm debating between Nook Simple Touch and Kindle Touch atm.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2012, 22:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

If you haven't made up your mind yet, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B007OZNZG0

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in