Between The Lines: Chapter 66 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2010, 20:47 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Juventus & Real Madrid
Between The Lines: Chapter 66

Well, let's persevere...

How do you guys get your books? Do you buy, rent or borrow? Do you collect books?

藤木直人

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2010, 01:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
When I was a child I remember trading with my friend. I kept a crate full of Goosebumps books and alternatively we'd come around to either of our addresses and read from our collections. At school too that series was so popular, kids would bring them, stacking them under their desks and reading them at lunch. It was encouraged, anything to get them reading.

Sometimes I rent, sometimes I buy [lately from the excellent book depository, free wordwide shipping]. In 'Matilda,' at the start of the book, the title character makes regular treks to the library and it's mentioned, in a list format, which books she takes out. I'm planning on copying her as clearly Roald Dahl intends them to be recommendations: Animal Farm, The Old Man and the Sea, The Grapes of Wrath, The Sound and the Fury, Brighton Rock, The Invisible Man, The Good Companions, Tess and the D'Urbervilles, Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby, Oliver Twist, Pride and Prejudice, Kim, The Red Pony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; February 6th, 2010 at 04:07.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2010, 03:52
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona, Indonesia NT
I have a friend who, back in the 7th grade could recite lines from Goosebumps..

I mostly borrow my books. I'm lucky to have friends that like reading so much. I have this one friend who collected literature books (some of which he hasn't got the chance to read himself). Anyway he's studying in Sweden now, so the day before he left, he emptied his flat and left all his books in my place. This friend is a big Dickens and Austen fan, so he got a complete collection on those two authors.
My sister collects Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton and Paulo Coelho recently. Plus, she works at the biggest publishing house here in Indonesia, so at times she would get a free sample print copy of books/comics. I managed to read the full series of 'Monster' manga thanks to her.
Of the things I did buy, I got my recommendations from Garcia Marquez's memoir, "Living to Tell The Tale", where he highlighted works from Borges, Kafka, Cervantes, Joyce, and Faulkner that influenced him as a writer...

Oh le le, oh la la.. Ser del Barça es, el millor que hi ha!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2010, 03:23
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
I do collect books, I do buy, rent or borrow also, everything that may look accidental.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2010, 11:23
Forum Manager
Legend

I could never imagine borrowing or renting books. I don't know, it just feels wrong, buying them is a lot more personal.

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 16:10
International

Teams: Barcelona, Slovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahzeL View Post
I could never imagine borrowing or renting books. I don't know, it just feels wrong, buying them is a lot more personal.
I strongly doubt that people who have no money to buy food, let alone books, feel that they're missing out on something simply because they don't legally possess it.

The experience one has with a book is very intimate and unique; it's not made more special by putting it on a bookshelf after it's been completed.

The thrill is in the book itself, not the way it's procured.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 16:54
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekalog View Post
I strongly doubt that people who have no money to buy food, let alone books, feel that they're missing out on something simply because they don't legally possess it.

The experience one has with a book is very intimate and unique; it's not made more special by putting it on a bookshelf after it's been completed.

The thrill is in the book itself, not the way it's procured.
It is well known that paratextuality not only in the sense of Gérard Genette, which also includes the shape a book is in and even book design, is an influence when building a relationship with a book.

Last edited by RahzeL; February 17th, 2010 at 17:07.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 17:57
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Which would affect you if you have the object in your hands, not how you it got there. I like to have books, but I do not feel worst if they are not mine. It is all in my head anyways...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 17:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Panema View Post
Which would affect you if you have the object in your hands, not how you it got there. I like to have books, but I do not feel worst if they are not mine. It is all in my head anyways...
But you understand that a book which you can rent at the library is in worse condition than a book you buy. And it definitely has an effect on you, maybe you're just not aware of it.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 18:28
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Not really, I do not have pashion for the object, but the books I buy are usually second hand books. Because I can find cheaper and more interesting options than those recently published.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 19:26
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
I buy and borrow way more books than I ever manage to read (from cover to cover).

You never know when a certain book might come in handy (although, again, many of them don't or rarely do)

Mostly used books, though I don't care if it's a rare edition so long as the content is the right content.

I guess the e-book will take over soon. Cheaper and takes up less space. :undecide:

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 01:42
Legend

Quote:
I can't ever imagine buying a book... Why would I? They lie around after.

You borrow from library, have an intense week and then it's over... If ever you want to read it again it's waiting for you but at least not collecting dust.

The idea that you own the book is stupid to me. In the library where it belongs it is like in a museum, connected to all literature and knowledge at once. Also, the more I see something in my house, the less chance I will pick it up p
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 09:45
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelface View Post

You borrow from library, have an intense week and then it's over... If ever you want to read it again it's waiting for you but at least not collecting dust.
Many books I'd have waiting for me in the bookshelves of my apartment rather than in some library that's miles away and has restricted opening hours. That + the book might be borrowed by someone else in which case you'd have to reserve it. And not all libraries have all books, anyway, in fact most of them don't.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 19:53
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
Many books I'd have waiting for me in the bookshelves of my apartment rather than in some library that's miles away and has restricted opening hours. That + the book might be borrowed by someone else in which case you'd have to reserve it. And not all libraries have all books, anyway, in fact most of them don't.
true, i will face the same reality when out of uni next year
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2010, 03:59
International

Teams: Barcelona, Slovan
Quote:
It is well known that paratextuality not only in the sense of Gérard Genette, which also includes the shape a book is in and even book design, is an influence when building a relationship with a book.
As the saying goes, that goes without saying.

There is certainly some influence in, for example, the type of font and color of the book and what effect that might have upon the brain, just as there is influence when you spot a pretty woman (or man) one night because a certain part of their outfit catches your eye. The question is: is the influence enough to sway your opinion of them when you meet them next morning for coffee? In other words, if they are dressed differently (more formally, let's say), are you disappointed and do you think of them less? If you do, is that a reflection on the influence of their clothes, or a reflection of you?

In my case, I prefer used, slightly tattered books, probably because a disheveled book has the appearance of experience, wisdom, humility, and a certain level of charm. And while I certainly think there are sub-conscious factors deep in the recesses of my brain which tweak and prod in various directions, I think their significance is quite minimal compared to the power and intimacy of language.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2010, 15:22
Xtratime Legend

I like the freshness and virginity of a new book, but I like the "experience" of a second hand copy as well. Some (like, 1 in 300) second hand books smell like cigar though.

Not bigotting

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in