J. D. Salinger 1919-2010 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 19:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
J. D. Salinger 1919-2010

Famous and famously reclusive author J.D. Salinger has died, his son said in a statement through his literary representative. He was 91.

Between 1951 and 1963, Salinger published just four books -- "The Catcher in the Rye," "Nine Stories," "Franny and Zooey" and "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction." Although tremendously popular, Salinger withdrew from public life, refusing interviews for many decades. Although he was understood to have continued to write in his isolation, those manuscripts have remained private.

The last public encounter with Salinger was when Joyce Maynard, a Yale freshman, wrote a piece for the New York Times and Salinger wrote her a letter warning of the dangers of publicity. Maynard, 19, had a yearlong relationship with the author, then in his early 50s, and later wrote about it in her 1999 memoir, "At Home in the World."

Despite his seclusion, Salinger's work remained popular. For decades, "The Catcher in the Rye" was required reading for students in junior high and high school. The lively, contradictory voice of the novel's protagonist, Holden Caufield, was thought to be something adolescent readers could connect to. "It was so putrid," Holden says of a movie, "I couldn't take my eyes off it." No wonder that generations did.

RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 19:21
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
RIP

for some reason I expected this to happen or at least was thinking about it recently

apparently he has written loads of novels, stories and memoirs during his reclusion and probably many of them will be published. He had a problem with publishing things during his lifetime but as I understood he still wrote with the idea of one day these things getting published after he's gone.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 22:44
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
think I will pick up nine stories.

rip!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 02:49
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Gone. Gone also are the days (or nights?) in the year 2000, as we - romAntics and I - discovered xt.

RIP, to a big man on a midnight bus.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 13:01
Forum Manager
Legend

“You take somebody that cries their goddam eyes out over phoney stuff in the movies, and nine times out of ten they're mean bastards at heart.”

- J. D. Salinger

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2010, 03:03
International

Teams: Barcelona, Slovan
So Forrester was never found.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2010, 10:07
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona, Indonesia NT
One of my favorite authors. I just reread The Catcher in the Rye last december..

RIP.

Oh le le, oh la la.. Ser del Barça es, el millor que hi ha!!

Last edited by totow; February 1st, 2010 at 10:12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in