The Discovery Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2009, 00:56 Thread Starter
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
The Discovery Thread

Play like Christopher Columbus (or Saint Brendan, or Leif Eiriksson, or those Chinese monks, or them that migrated over the Bering land bridge, whomever) and help others to discover writers who deserve a look-see.

I will start with three:

R.A. Lafferty
Evan S. Connell
Cornell Woolrich

Lafferty was a midwestern writer, who mostly did Sci-Fi, but has an absolutley delightful style that transcends the genre. I don't think any of his many books are still in print, but they are easy enough to find used. Plot is secondary in any Lafferty story, just lay back and enjoy the STYLE and panache with which he gets from point A to point D and then, sometimes, to point S. I would recommend his "The Fall of Rome" or "The Devil is Dead", but you can't really go wrong with anything he wrote.

Connell was also from the American midwest (he might still be alive, I am not sure), but wrote essays and novels with a worldwide historical bent. More dedicated to plot than Lafferty, Connell is nevertheless a similar stylist. His "Son of the Morning Star" is, IMO, one of the great books of the last 50 years. Some people might object to his jumping back and forth in chronology. These people take the fun out of everything and probably kick puppies when nobody is watching. The race to the South Pole, alchemists, the Children's Crusades, Piltdown Man, the translation of cuneiform, the sinking of the great ship Vasa are all tackled in Connell's two collections of essays, "A Long Desire" and "The White Lantern", which I highly recommend. Maybe some of the conclusions have been proven false over time, but the quality of the writing is timeless.

Woolrich was arguably the best noir writer of his time. I love Woolrich. Heck, if he had not been a one-legged, alcoholic, closeted homosexual who lived with his mother and died at 45, I'd want to BE Woolrich. Any of his short stories are recommended.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in