Graphic Novels - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2008, 01:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Serbia
Graphic Novels

The only one I have ever read is Watchmen. What should I read next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2008, 01:42
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
keep the Alan Moore routine and read V. Then get Frank Miller (Sin City, Dark Knight Returns, Electra - first Bill Sienkiewicz then the solo work). Move to Neil Gaiman and read his Sandman series and also his 2 Death Series. Next Alex Ross shows, Marvels and Kingdom Come. Asylum Arkham may be the next (so is Killing Joke, forgot to list in the Moore's list), you can give a try with Moonshadow and then A Wolverine gig (Wolverine-Destrutor), Moebius colaboration with Stan Lee for Silver Sufer and Jim Starlim/Berni Wringston humor for Hulk and The Thing. Must be it...

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 15:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

awesome.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 20:19
Legend

Teams: Hajduk Split
screw stan lee he's got nothing worth reading anyways. add gaiman's books of magic. move sandman to no 1, before v for vendetta. from moore try and read from hell which is hard to read due to artwork and stuff but is a very good comic.
oh and read preacher.

edit: and if you've got way too much time on your hands read hellblazer.

Never forget
Never forgive

Last edited by MaidenMadness; November 25th, 2008 at 20:30.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 20:33
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

meh, just being logical, he watched V and read Whatchman, it is logical (logic, hear MM) to move to V before anything. And Silver Suffer is very worth to read, not to mention Moebius artwork.
Books of Magic is good, but if the person does not reckon the 39484 characters of DC universe it may be like a ride in a park, quick and without meaning. Preacher sucks, and Hellblazer is just half good. Swamp Thing (Moore age) is better. Better some stuff by Mike Mignola, for art sakes or Sam Keith.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 20:48
Legend

preacher does not suck and nothing that carries marvel tag on it is worth reading. nothing!

swam thing is a good call. oh and serb friends of mine talk highly of fables which i never got around to reading. that should be easier of a read than books of magic as the main characters apparently are fairy tale characters such as snow white and shit so it shouldn't have the background knowledge factor to it books of magic do.

when you finish sandman perhaps lucifer might be a good read as its not a bad read but i just didn't have the will to face it. don't under any circumstances read lucifer before sandman though.

oh and logic has nothing to do with it. sandman is without the doubt best of the lot so it would be only logical that he reads it first.

edit: we are such n00bs. we are talking about graphical novels and i didn't see murder mysteries mentioned. orginially it was a short story by gaiman but was adapted into graphic novel by p craig russell. definitively a must read. one of the best things i've ever read

Never forget
Never forgive
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:10
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Meh, I have no problem to say most stuff by marvel is just commercial. But Frank Miller worked there, so do not blasphemy.
Do not forget that finishing Sandman is like 80 numbers (because there is the Death Series plus a few specials). If he gets Swamp THing - maybe first, but I didnt list because it is not a graphic novel, he would have the entire cast of Book of Magic - so after Swamp Thing and Sandman, Books of Magic can be entirely edible.

Logic is way I guide my life. Muder Misteries is about the death of the angel? I guess it is ok, like most Gaiman stuff, but I would left it behind. I suppose anyone that follow Sandman will end a Gaiman fan and read his other works. There is few stuff not mentioned worth of looking like Marshal Law or Metalzoic Age by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neil, but they are very weird...

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:12
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Good recommendations J with few of those (should mention 300 for Frank Miller, perfect), though you you are an elitist bastard to say Preacher sucks (you recommend Electra and say Preacher sucks). Garth Ennis is great, and Preacher is his one of his best work. Something else I can recommend of Garth Ennis is his Punisher, the max series, not the old one. I can gurantee serb will love this

Other highly recommended ones except those mentionned, are Azzarrello's 100 Bullits (MUST READ), Vaughans Y the last man and finally Fables which is just beyond great

Non of those I mentionned are superhero stuff but more Vertigo-esque stuff. When it comes to superhero stuff, I highly recommend the stand alone issues of Batman. Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Hush, Dark Victory, the dark knight returns, year one etc.

Regarding Sandman, I havent read it yet, funnily enough. But read Lucifer a bit.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:27
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I think 300 is so behind Sin City or Dark Knight returns and Electra, specially the awesome Bill Sienkiewicz art...
And I am an elitist bastart, that should be rather obvious by now. I found Preacher just so crude and behind Gaiman subtle text... Garth Ennis still needs to learn how to write

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:36
Legend

yeah, totally. shame on garth ennis for being quick to get to the point instead of writing mooreesque essays. p

Never forget
Never forgive
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:44
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Moore is great enough to pull off the longwindedness (he's a genius), Gaiman (I mainly read his books), though good, is not so great at all. Bit boring and pretentious at times. He really isnt a big kahuna in the comic industry, even if he hit it big with Sandman, but what else has he had that is accomplished work? (funnily enough I tried alot of his comics stuff except his best one).

Ennis is way witty and original. More simple yes, but doesnt hamper the quality whatsoever.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:52
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

heh, Gaiman is the guy, Ozzie, before Sandman there was Moore and Miller fighting against evil, but when Sandman hit, there was no literary place in the world that would not acknowledge the genre as literary. Sandman is material enough, the guy created a character than was a sucess for DC and killed it without chance of return. Nobody did it really before, even Miller had to accept the returns of Electra in his curriculum.

There is 2 huge writers, Moore and Gaiman, and one God because he can write for comics and draw, Miller. There rest is nothing close to them, only those three guys are above the illustrators. Garth is just ok, pretentious is Grant Morison.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 21:53
Legend

oh and serb when speaking of comics one thing you must read if you haven't already, especially considering your background. alan ford. its an italian comic book which was only really popular in italy and in former yu. there are were brazilian and french versions of it but they failed because, according to the author, the translations were bad and a lot of humor got lost whereas yu translation was really really good and kept all of the original humor. but all over former yu its huge. so huge its a part of the pop culture in all former yu countries. i have read a fair amount of comics and i have never come across one that made me laugh as much as alan ford did.

if you haven't read it get your ass to one of yugo torrent sites and download it.

and ossie sandman alone is good enough to mark gaiman as one of the greats.

Never forget
Never forgive
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 22:02
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

I am a fan of his, hence why I read his books. But I havent read Sandman, granted its huge, but the several of his other comic work is nothing special, they are very good/decent in a unique way (literacy quality). I only hold him to a higher standard because you are comparing him to Moore, Moore IMO is in his own level because he is consistently great, not the same standard from Gaiman in terms of consistency.

Btw, didnt say Ennis is Moore level at all, but he is part of the brittish comic golden age in his own way. He is more pulp fiction (and standards arent allways good with crap like Wormwood), but defenitely quality in his way. Preacher, Punisher and lots of other satirical stuff shouldnt be dissed off hand.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2008, 22:36
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Golden age is Moore and Gaiman. The rest had to deal with the image bluff, that sucked.
Anyways, Moore have some shitty stuff (miller too) and Sandman lasted 7 years without dropping quality, if that is not consisntence, what would be? Technically, Gaiman is the better writer of the trio, the prose style of Moore is too heavy, he definitevelly lacks something. No wonder Gaiman is the only of them that can really survive writing good books. Miller is the most action oriented, his cinematography is perfect, so he is the one that found a way to work with movies.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2008, 02:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

This thread was just a project of mine to find out who xtratime's three biggest nerds are. i think we have our answer.

Seriously, awesome stuff JC, MM, and 'Ozzy'.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2008, 22:13
International

Teams: Juventus & Real Madrid
Definitely Gaiman's Sandman series. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels, but I've been steadily working through the Sandman volumes and am enjoying them a lot.

藤木直人

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE!!!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2013, 04:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Anyone read Scalped? It[s pretty awesome.

I bought the first Sandman book a while back but couldn't get into it, I'll try it again.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2013, 05:16
Premier Player

Teams: ArsenaL
try "Maus" story about the survivor from nazi era.

"Even though I have only been here three years," Fabregas added. "Sunday will be very special for me, too.

"I made my league debut at Highbury. I will always remember that moment. My family was in the stand and it was one of the best feelings I have ever had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in