Is reading real books completely out nowadays? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2008, 20:16 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Is reading real books completely out nowadays?

Of course there are masses of people reading hyped up crap like Harry Potter, Dan Brown and Coelho because the media and their friends tell them to. I guess these also qualify as books. But what about classics like Dostoevsky, Joyce, Kafka, Faulkner? Will these be forever lost to younger generation? Have Metal Gear Solid 4 and Spiderman 3 completely destroyed the old style entertainment where you had to use your imagination and abstract thinking to get the meaning behind words and sentences?

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 06:45
kat
THE
Legend

On Sunday in train (I was re-reading Mostly harmless), I heard a middle age man talk to another that he went to speed reading classes and now he finished War and Peace with 20 minutes.
Says it all.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 08:28
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Lazio, Blackburn, Ajax, Italy
The vast majority of people did not bother to read classics long before the age of Spiderman 3 and Playstation anyway. Sure, this vast majority has become even vaster lately but that's their problem, the book market is still alive and kicking, so...

“But we're a university! We have to have a library!" said Ridcully. "It adds tone. What sort of people would we be if we didn't go into the library?"

"Students," said Senior Wrangler morosely.”

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 09:15
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
I still really enjoy reading books and Kafka is still one of my fav authors. It's just that i don't have much time for it anymore Reading the classics is something you just don't do much at a younger age (12 - 16) although i did read Dante when i was 17 . I try to read more of the older stuff but like i said, i'm just too damn busy to be able to spend a couple of hours reading. 15 minutes of reading isn't enough, you must be able to spend at least an hour on a good book to be able to enjoy it fully imo. And that's something people nowadays don't allow themselves to do.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 09:57
kat
THE
Legend

Funny, I think I finished all these kind of books before I hit 18. Deserted countryside, crapy weater, tv with 1 programm, no computers nor video/comutergames, what else would you do.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 12:03
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomander Rake View Post
The vast majority of people did not bother to read classics long before the age of Spiderman 3 and Playstation anyway. Sure, this vast majority has become even vaster lately but that's their problem, the book market is still alive and kicking, so...
Exactly, trash literature has always been around in the bookstores, newsagents, and even gas stations. It's as if a certain portion of people never enter adulthood in terms of their reading habits and keep reading the same kind of trivia that they loved when they were 14. I mean how else do you explain adults reading Harry Potter, it's a kid's book ffs.

For what it's worth, classics often suck.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 12:10
Forum Manager
Legend

Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment, which other books by Dostoevsky can you recommend?

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 12:16 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahzeL View Post
Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment, which other books by Dostoevsky can you recommend?
Notes from Underground and House of the Dead

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 12:26
Forum Manager
Legend

Thank you, I prefer reading "real" books, I never read any popular fiction.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 13:25
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
"I have my books," as noted by Beyle (and who the hell is Beyle? and what the heck is The Red and the Black?), "just as my grandfather had his." It is always too early to tell whether the best minds of my generation have descended into that lamb-like abyss. Open your minds. There is a whole lot of activities out there.

Thanks Andy for this thread

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 14:37
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Classics are not exactly meant to be read at all, much less read by masses. Their existence sufices. Maybe in Japan you can imagine a subway wagon filled with people reading pocket editions of Lost Paradise or Dante's Comedy but it is the single individual here and there that can read those books that matters.

Now, reading unreal books is the new blast. Another day I was reading Kafka's translation of 1001 Nights, a total blast. I am in the 585th night and Scherazade could not find the bed of Sharyar who still giving orders to behead maidens without know that they are all cheating him as well with the guards that are supposed to kill them. A total blast.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 14:46
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United
Quote:
The Idiot, The Double, Notes From The UnderGround, The Devils and The Brothers Karamazov
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 14:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_stamper_88 View Post
The Idiot, The Double, Notes From The UnderGround, The Devils and The Brothers Karamazov
Thank you, before going to college I'll have loads of time to read and I will definitely occupy myself with Dostoevsky this summer. The Brothers Karamazov is in my bookshelf already. Are all the books you mentioned that good?

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 15:22
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Reading classics is well and good (The Brothers Karamazov is mindblowing), what I dont like though is the extreme elitism and arrogance of high literature. Everyone have their opinion of whats good or bad books, general dung like Dan Browns crap or Eragon that just sell because they appease to the lowest common dominator and such (trash litterature etc).

But I truly detest the elitism I noticed of how if its not high literature, it can never be a good book. It has to be written in a certain way "life changing, inspiring, blabla"), and have the same pretentious topics and such to be deemed worthy, never acknowleding great stories and books exists in other type of books, in which they all deem to be "genre" books and commercial dung. Almost like its more important what others think of the book, instead of wether or not you enjoyed it or not.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 15:35
International

Quote:
The Brothers Karamazov is in my bookshelf already. Are all the books you mentioned that good?
Братья Карамазовы/ Brothers Karamazov is arguably the best novel ever written, so no they are not all that good. The Idiot and Notes from Underground are the ones you should read next in my opinion.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 15:36
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
Reading classics is well and good (The Brothers Karamazov is mindblowing), what I dont like though is the extreme elitism and arrogance of high literature. Everyone have their opinion of whats good or bad books, general dung like Dan Browns crap or Eragon that just sell because they appease to the lowest common dominator and such (trash litterature etc).

But I truly detest the elitism I noticed of how if its not high literature, it can never be a good book. It has to be written in a certain way "life changing, inspiring, blabla"), and have the same pretentious topics and such to be deemed worthy, never acknowleding great stories and books exists in other type of books, in which they all deem to be "genre" books and commercial dung. Almost like its more important what others think of the book, instead of wether or not you enjoyed it or not.
Indeed. Btw you should see your post in my Firefox window, every other word underlined for bad spelling.

It's perfectly okay to read books that are simply enjoyable, but then there is that concern that if that's all you do, then..

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 17:20
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Plus, When you mention "the greatest" books of all time you are creating an elite, either you want or not. Democracy is not a suitable criteria for quality.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 17:35
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Blissett View Post
But what about classics like Dostoevsky, Joyce, Kafka, Faulkner? Will these be forever lost to younger generation?
Has it ever really been different? I don't think it is a generational things at all.

My mother read them but her sisters didn't. I read them but neither of my brother cared for them. And now, my daughter is reading them but my son doesn't care for them. I think its always the same.

Gràcies Pare, descansi en pau.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 17:40
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
On Sunday in train (I was re-reading Mostly harmless), I heard a middle age man talk to another that he went to speed reading classes and now he finished War and Peace with 20 minutes.
Says it all.
Reminds me of that Woody Allen joke:

"I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2008, 18:29
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by barça View Post
Has it ever really been different? I don't think it is a generational things at all.

My mother read them but her sisters didn't. I read them but neither of my brother cared for them. And now, my daughter is reading them but my son doesn't care for them. I think its always the same.
Of course the world of Art have been always elitist and full of rantings against the popular art and all witty concepted people talking. For each Dickens remembered there must be dozens of John Smiths publishing in the newspapers that today are just a matter of curiosity.

The difference does not lies in the concentration of consume of "high literature" and "cheap novels", it is the form of market production and the new technology. The new technology will just change the form of narrative, it is not the first time, that is all.
Now, the marketing is something else. Because the marketing is now global and massive, unlike in the past. There is less space for the different views, productions - today a revolutionary have to be small virus - and we need that in art. Even more in literature. If the formula like Coelho domains a market like brazil, it is harder to scape to another literature (you may read classics but not only this, and what we notice is not that people do not read, but from coelho they do not move foward) and the effect may be a poorer formation of writers, since they are all born from reading. And then, the technology returns, this one that allow anyone to write sentences and sentences and sentences...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in