Writing books - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 10:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Writing books

There is said to be millions of writers in this world and only a couple of hundreds that came make a living on it. Do anyone here aspire to be a writer? I am and have come some way in writing fantasy stories. I may give you some snippets later.

Some tips? How do you approach writing? What you find difficult? Are you a perfectionist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 18:00
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
I am perfect, not a perfectionist...
Anyways, I write, I like to think I may be a writer. Nothing to do with gaining money with that (anyways, a lot to do with living) and publishing a book.
What is difficult? Revewing the story just after I finished it, revewing it later years after. Knowining it is not just good enough. The rest is quite easy.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 18:03
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
I've always felt I could write great books. I simply can't bother with it, too much effort

Maybe one day...

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 21:41
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Here's some technical notes. I skip over the *why* part because, most often, a writer begins to write for absolutely no reasons at all.

Keeping a notebook (not necessary to have a fancy spiral bound item, at times a stack of napkins will do): write down short (or long) passages of people I encounter in the course of a day; of the city streets (as if my pen is a camera); of the partial conversations overheard at the ATM queue. When the notebook is filled, perhaps the structure of a shortstory is formed.

Difficulties? Things become difficult when wonderful phrases come to you in your dreams. Therefore it is utmost important to keep a laptop or a pencil near the bed.

Another difficulty is how and when to end a perfect story.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 22:06
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

I started writing a fictional story 15 years ago... and stopped writing it 14 years and 11 months ago.

I only finished the first few pages. It took too long to write down the things I had in mind, so I got bored with it.

I've also had the idea to write a book about my experiences as an auditor. Throughout the years I've seen some pretty bizarre things and met some pretty odd people, that it would make for some quite amazing stories. The problem is all the people and businesses in that book would be real, so I would have quite a few privacy and legal concerns. I could of course write it about fictional people and companies, but then it wouldn't be quite so interesting.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck

Last edited by Boyo; April 16th, 2008 at 22:12.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 12:45 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I write because I have so many stories in my head. I have so many ideas. To actually sit and write comes easy to me, but I always end up wanting to edit my work and add mroe parts. This makes it look like a neverending work.

If I just had money and no work, then I would easily be able to write a 600 page book per year. Those circumstances isn't really mirroring my present situation
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 13:50
Xtratime Legend

If your first book is an international hit such as Harry Potter, you'll have enough money to continue writing books for the rest of your life.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:01 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
If your first book is an international hit such as Harry Potter, you'll have enough money to continue writing books for the rest of your life.
I been thinking about that concept and I know why it works. the publishers that said no to Rowling had no concept of what sells. Harry Potter works by the same concept as Narnia, a concept that kids just love. No doubt about it. all about the possibility of them travelling to a "wonderful" magic fantasy world with dream creatures. "Weave of fionavar" (think the name was) and books about thomas covenant worked by the same concept, but wasn't aimed at kids as much.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:22
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

You can also appeal to the best-seller trailler stuff - there is mistery, pick a famous historical figure but with a obscure past, claim that this figure is actually something very different, use some obscure source of research with vague academic credentials (one XT expert for example) , mix with some unlikely controvertial claim specially related to religion or some nation, create an enigma and voillá.
Or you can just write some pretentious self-help book where life is just a box of chocolate filled with oriental touches. All of this is success.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:26
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
Or you can just write some pretentious self-help book where life is just a box of chocolate filled with oriental touches. All of this is success.
Ah, yes. That has helped so many people. To get rich, I mean. So many self nominated 'experts' who 'started out as a working Joe' until they discovered the mysteries of life and enlightenment hit them right in the forehead. Now they're writing books about it and touring to spread the wealth. Well, not the financial wealth exactly.

In fact, with so many people from all walks of life writing books you should hardly feel intimidated, Johan.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:30
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
"How To Find Peace of Mind, Wealth and Happiness by Writing Self-improvement Books" by Luther Blissett

acclaimed international bestseller, coming soon in a bookstore near you!

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:32
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Don't forget the book signing event, those are a hoot.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 21:33
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by numerodix View Post
Ah, yes. That has helped so many people. To get rich, I mean. So many self nominated 'experts' who 'started out as a working Joe' until they discovered the mysteries of life and enlightenment hit them right in the forehead. Now they're writing books about it and touring to spread the wealth. Well, not the financial wealth exactly.

In fact, with so many people from all walks of life writing books you should hardly feel intimidated, Johan.

Yes, anyone can write a book. That is a bit of a tragedy or a comedy, depends the side of the street where you walk.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 23:44 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
You can also appeal to the best-seller trailler stuff - there is mistery, pick a famous historical figure but with a obscure past, claim that this figure is actually something very different, use some obscure source of research with vague academic credentials (one XT expert for example) , mix with some unlikely controvertial claim specially related to religion or some nation, create an enigma and voillá.
All very solid ideas but the key to hobby writing is to enjoy it. Sure, I would enjoy a overfull account too, but I am sure there are like two million copycats following above formula... Maybe I should write a book about how to succeed in copying some else work.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2008, 23:47
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Who says you can't enjoy being a scammer? I bet 80% of all spammers say they feel happy in their job and feel they are making a difference in the world.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2008, 00:03
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I have no doubt that 90% of novel/romance writers will say that they enjoy it (10% will say that they suffer for art) but I really bet most deal with that as any worker do, they can do it without getting very annoyed, domain the formula, etc. But the big deal is : enjoying your work is not something that bring quality (or take it away). Formulas are not bad- Literature have a handfull of formulas. The thing is only using them when it is needed as safeboat.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2008, 16:50
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
I been thinking about that concept and I know why it works. the publishers that said no to Rowling had no concept of what sells. Harry Potter works by the same concept as Narnia, a concept that kids just love. No doubt about it. all about the possibility of them travelling to a "wonderful" magic fantasy world with dream creatures. "Weave of fionavar" (think the name was) and books about thomas covenant worked by the same concept, but wasn't aimed at kids as much.
Absolutely. And even adults like the wonderous fantasy world of those books. Me too. Although I personally like to make my own story, hence my love of open role playing games such as Morrowind. But it is the same basic idea.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2008, 17:00
International

Teams: AC Milan, Barcelona, Melbourne Knights
Johan,

Is this going to be in English? Lets start by allowing us to read an example of your craft, does not need to be from your novel.

how strange it is to be anything at all
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2008, 17:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politician View Post
Johan,

Is this going to be in English? Lets start by allowing us to read an example of your craft, does not need to be from your novel.
Yes it's in English. I could put some out when I am happy with some parts. Or possible something from my old work that I discontinued.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
There is said to be millions of writers in this world and only a couple of hundreds that came make a living on it. Do anyone here aspire to be a writer? I am and have come some way in writing fantasy stories. I may give you some snippets later.

Some tips? How do you approach writing? What you find difficult? Are you a perfectionist?
I wouldn't say it's something I've paid serious thought. I do enjoy writing and would like to find work someday which involves it, but I've never set out to write a book, truly. What I have found is that it's easier for me to construct non-fiction [my life] to fiction [those silly vampire stories p].

Actually, once I did try and write a fictional story that was based on my life, and I didn't enjoy it as yes, I kept niggling over this and that, whether I was overusing the word, etc [that's one thing, I'm a freak when it comes to using as diverse a vocab as possible].

I keep forgetting stuff. This September comes The Age Short Story Competition. In the past I've had designs on being an entrant but never got around to it. Perhaps it will be this year.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer you anything useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in