J.D. Salinger - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 08:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
J.D. Salinger

He is maybe one of the most influential American authors of the 20th century, despite of the fact that his active publishing career lasted a mere decade and half as he hasn't published anything since 1965. He's a very strange writer in a way, it's hard to say what is it that makes his books so great but there's something in them. His personal life has apparently been a mess and he has always preferred living as a recluse away from the media...a legendary writer who many assume is dead but in fact he's still living at age 88 and probably continues to write as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Salinger continued to write in a disciplined fashion, a few hours every morning; according to Maynard, by 1972 he had completed two new novels. In a rare 1974 interview with The New York Times, the author explained, "There is a marvelous peace in not publishing....I like to write. I love to write. But I write just for myself and my own pleasure." According to Maynard, he saw publication as "a damned interruption." In her memoir, Margaret Salinger described the detailed filing system her father had for his unpublished manuscripts: "A red mark meant, if I die before I finish my work, publish this 'as is,' blue meant publish but edit first, and so on."
I guess he has quite a collection of works stacked away somewhere...thousands of pages probably. So in case he decides to publish all this after his death, there might be a "second explosion" of Salinger in world literature...over half a century after the first one that came with Catcher in the Rye . And it might be far greater than the first one. But it's also possible that he never allows to print all the stuff he's written in these decades...maybe he decides to destroy it all or has done it already.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 08:58
a cloud to embrace / First Place Winner, March-April 2011 Photo Contest
World Class Player

Teams: ♥ bleeding red and black
I never knew that, I thought Catcher in the Rye was kinda a flunk for him.

I would like to read another work of him, should he ever decide to publish, probably I'm going to hate his work first p
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2007, 23:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
I have heard from certain writers that they hate writing in the context of work which is to be published [Laxness, Banville too I think]. I wonder if this is Salinger's feeling too. Writing simply for pleasure and nothing else... common procedures such as going over already written material, over and over again; how Salingers enjoys to write, perhaps he doesn't apply himself so strictly as such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 17:17 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

The most interesting question fo me is if this stuff he has written in all these years will be published after his death. Some of the stories he wrote in early 40's (about other brothers of the Caulfield family) were initially rejected by magazines and later on when he was already famous after Catcher in the Rye he decided never to publish these...he signed a document forbiding to publish these earlier than 70 years after his death. I hope he won't take similar decision about his other works.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2007, 07:07
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

JD Salinger was a paranoid schizophrenic homosexual...I heard

Vada a bordo, CAZZO!!! Gregorio De Falco

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each
blade of grass
Yamamoto

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity Sigmund Freud
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2007, 08:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Weird, we have two televisions in our lounge/living area, on one I was concentrating on the football , on the other I acknowledged an episode of Stand Alone Complex in which a quote was used from one of Salinger's works [either "The Laughing Man" or "Catcher in the Rye"] - "I thought what I'd do was, pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." That sounds a bit off, though.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2007, 09:21 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

By the way, Catcher In The Rye was connected with the murder of John Lennon (there's also a movie about it titled Chapter 28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
At some point, Chapman became obsessed with Catcher in the Rye after rereading it for the first time since high school. He was particularly influenced by the book's polemic against 'phoniness' in society, and the need to protect people, especially children. He was holding a copy of the book when he murdered Lennon, in which he had written "This is my statement". After his arrest, he wrote a letter to the media urging everyone to read the "extraordinary book" that may "help many to understand what has happened". When asked if he wanted to address the court at his sentencing, Chapman read a passage from Catcher in the Rye that describes Holden Caulfield's fantasy of being on the edge of a cliff and having to catch all children from falling. The chief witness at the sentencing, Daniel W. Schwartz, said that Chapman wanted to kill Lennon because he viewed him as a "phony". Chapman later said that he thought the murder would turn him into a Holden Caulfield, a "quasi-savior" and "guardian angel".

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2008, 11:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I read "A Catcher in the Rye" while in hospital. I enjoyed it a lot, Salinger's voice is memorable.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2014, 12:32 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

so last year it was said Salinger's "new" books and stories will be published between 2015 and 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Guardian
An unseen story told from the perspective of JD Salinger's Holden Caulfield and more tales of the recurring character Seymour Glass could start appearing as early as 2015, film-makers revealed at the world premiere of documentary Salinger, at Colorado's Telluride film festival.

Five new Salinger books are expected between 2015 and 2020, the Daily Beast reports. They include The Last and Best of the Peter Pans, a 1962 short story featuring the Catcher in the Rye protagonist Caulfield, and A World War II Love Story, which is based on Salinger's brief marriage to Sylvia, a Nazi collaborator.

The other highly anticipated new works include A Counterintelligence Agent's Diary, based on the writer's experience interrogating prisoners during the final months of the second world war, and A Religious Manual, about Salinger's relationship with Advaita Vendanta Hinduism.

An unseen collection of short stories, The Complete Chronicle of the Glass Family, tells more of Salinger's recurring character, Seymour Glass, who is often said to be a self-portrait and who appears in A Perfect Day for Bananafish and in several novellas.
any more news on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in