Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84, RIP - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2007, 11:04 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Juventus & Real Madrid
Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84, RIP

Kurt Vonnegut, whose dark comic talent and urgent moral vision in novels like “Slaughterhouse-Five,” “Cat’s Cradle” and “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” caught the temper of his times and the imagination of a generation, died last night in Manhattan. He was 84 and had homes in Manhattan and in Sagaponack on Long Island.

Mr. Vonnegut suffered irreversible brain injuries as a result of a fall several weeks ago, according to his wife, Jill Krementz.

More in the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/bo...hp&oref=slogin

藤木直人

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2007, 19:02
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ - Kurt Vonnegut

Mr. Vonnegut addressed a rally at Columbia University against U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf in 1991.
((c) nytimes)

Quote:
“Robert Kennedy, whose summer home is eight miles from the home I live in all year round,” Mr. Vonnegut wrote at the end of the book, “was shot two nights ago. He died last night. So it goes.

“Martin Luther King was shot a month ago. He died, too. So it goes. And every day my Government gives me a count of corpses created by military science in Vietnam. So it goes.”

- Slaughter House Five

Rest in peace, good old man.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2007, 23:37
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
One of the finest American writers ever and one of my favourite ones. I've read pretty much everything he's written (fiction at least) and very few others can be compared with him in his skill to blend deep humanity with out-of-the-box creative style.

RIP

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2007, 03:43
Star Player

R.I.P
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2007, 03:55
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

RIP

back in college they use to have May day party at Kurt Vonnegut's house. He was no longer living there but it was a tradition that kept on going year after year, live music, beer and girls!

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2007, 05:29
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

Another lefty passes on...such is life

Vada a bordo, CAZZO!!! Gregorio De Falco

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each
blade of grass
Yamamoto

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity Sigmund Freud
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2007, 19:30
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giureconsulto
Another lefty passes on...such is life
"This is a very bad book you're writing," I said to myself.
"I know," I said.
"You're afraid you'll kill yourself the way your mother did," I said.
"I know," I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
One of the finest American writers ever and one of my favourite ones. I've read pretty much everything he's written (fiction at least) and very few others can be compared with him in his skill to blend deep humanity with out-of-the-box creative style.

RIP
I thought of you, Andy Christ, when I learnt of Kurt Vonnegut's death.

For me, when I found out, via The New Republican online, it was uncanny because only five minutes or so earlier I was reading the letter he had written to the Editor of the New York Times some time ago where he bravely defended some writer who had been inexplicably ignored by some newspapers reporting on some Political/Literary Conference about some war in Iraq.

And what was that writer’s name?

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17
-----------------------------------------------------
El infierno es vacío; todos los diablos están aquí.

Interview met George Boateng :

Wat is uw favoriet boek? De Bijbel
Wat is uw favoriet televisieprogramma? Wanhopige Huisvrouwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Albert) Chinua(lumogu) Achebe
People say there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers; that is wrong [(!)]

Last edited by washingtone17; May 1st, 2007 at 13:29.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 12:03
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtone17
And what was that writer’s name?
What was it then?

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2012, 15:36
Star Player

Editor's Note: In 1986,

Editor's Note: In 1986, the world's best and most famous writers and literary critics convened at the forty-eighth annual International PEN Congress in New York City. That year's theme was "Writer's Imagination and the Imagination of the State." The New Republic sent Edward Rothstein to cover the event, and he reported (read the PDF) a stunning demonstration of "how stupid our most talented writers can be about history and politics." Kurt Vonnegut, who was especially peeved by one panelist, shared his frustration in a letter to the editor.

To The Editors:

I was delighted to see you hold up Kurt Vonnegut to scorn for his unpatriotic behavior at the PEN Congress, on your cover and then in the thoughtful reportage by Edward Rothstein, which graced your issue on February 24 ("Lead Me Not Into PEN Station"). Mr. Vonnegut was not quoted, however, although he made three appearances--at a panel on censorship in the USA on Wednesday, January 15; at a reading from one of his works later the same day; and then at a panel on the statesman's view of the imagination of the state on Friday, January 17. That was the full extent of his participation, and you had a reporter there, thank goodness. Please, please, please give us at least a little sample of the stupid or annoying or un-American things he said at the congress, and I repeat, at the congress. I can't stand him myself.

KURT VONNEGUT
New York, New York

By Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

http://www.tnr.com/article/self-parody

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17
-----------------------------------------------------
El infierno es vacío; todos los diablos están aquí.

Interview met George Boateng :

Wat is uw favoriet boek? De Bijbel
Wat is uw favoriet televisieprogramma? Wanhopige Huisvrouwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Albert) Chinua(lumogu) Achebe
People say there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers; that is wrong [(!)]

Last edited by washingtone17; October 27th, 2012 at 16:08.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2012, 18:41
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

well, it took you five and half years to answer that but better late than never I guess

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2014, 23:27
Forum Manager
Legend

I barely read two chapters of Slaughterhouse-Five and I already know that I've got something very beautiful and special here! It rarely occurs that you really know that this writer is definitely going to be a revelation. Today I was reading the book and at one point I just had to immediately go to my brother's room and force him to read a certain passage too.

Highly highly recommended!

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?

Last edited by RahzeL; May 20th, 2014 at 23:32.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2014, 22:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I thought Slaughthouse Five was hugely disappointing in all honesty. The only thing that made it a page-turner was waiting for something interesting to happen, which never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2014, 17:46
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I thought Slaughthouse Five was hugely disappointing in all honesty. The only thing that made it a page-turner was waiting for something interesting to happen, which never did.
Wow that's quite surprising! I thought you were one of the good guys! Do you know his other books?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2014, 19:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I am a good guy, I just found it hugely overrated. I think its a victim of its time though, it was an important book, especially regarding Dresden, but to people like me it's not new an exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2014, 21:38
Forum Manager
Legend

I see but I don't agree. It may be about dealing with trauma, in this case The Dresden bombings. I think the most important thing about this book is that Tralfamadorian outlook on life and time. It is a very interesting and beautiful theory.

"If you protest, if you think that death is a terrible thing, then you have not understood a word I've said."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in