LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2007, 14:32 Thread Starter
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Rep. of Ireland
JG Ballard

I'm writing a thesis on the guy ATM

and I have to say I think he's a genius ... I mean most British papers have called him "the most visionary British writer" of the last 20/30/40 years etc etc ...

but really, his stuff is unbelievably well realized, conceptually

For anyone who deosn't know Ballard :

He is best known for the novels Empire of The Sun and Crash, basically because both were made into movies by Spielberg and Cronenberg respectively (NOTE this is NOT the Oscar winning Crash).

I think he's been a huge influence on fiction and cinema generally, particularly stuff like Chuck Palahinuk's work (Fight Club etc, although Palahniuk is a rank amateur compared to Ballard) and a lot of "postmodern" (B.S. term - don't get me started) work generally

My favourite Ballard is probably High-Rise ; a sort of Lord of the Flies type depiction of a London high rise building that's so self-sufficient it barricades itself off from the rest of the world and its residents become primitive, territorial, violent... essentially war breaks out between the different levels in the building ..

A film version is coming out next year

I'm also trying to hunt down the film version of the Atrocity Exhibition which has never been able to get a cinematic release ... I'm honestly not sure if it's because it's totally perverse (which the book is) or because of funding, or whatever

Anyway I'm a massive fan of the guy - anyone who likes (or hates) his books, or who has seen film versions of his books ; post some ideas about them - I'd love to hear them

RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2007, 23:10
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
I've only read Unlimited Dream Company from him. It's definitely one of the craziest books I've read next to Philip K Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Very colourful book that is impossible to pin down to any genre. I quess there has been a lot of smart stuff written about it, probably a la "the destroying of English middle class suburb idealism in graphic surreal prose" but reading it was a refreshing experience because there seemed to be some kind of ultimate randomness in it and it was a very honest book in a way although completely surreal.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 14:11
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

He is ****ing great..and the movie crash is very good too.

PD: Red everytime I read your nick, comes to my mind The King Crimson album, even watching Iggy on your avatar

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 19:10 Thread Starter
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
He is ****ing great..and the movie crash is very good too.

PD: Red everytime I read your nick, comes to my mind The King Crimson album, even watching Iggy on your avatar
haha yeah I like that KC album

You're crazy into that band aren't you man?? I'm certainly partial to a bit of Fripp

Crash the movie - I've never seen the full thing so I've never made a judgement - can never find the thing in video stores!!

I think the movie version of High Rise will be better - it's for the most part a more interesting book ... probably my favourite JGB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2007, 19:13 Thread Starter
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
I've only read Unlimited Dream Company from him. It's definitely one of the craziest books I've read next to Philip K Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Very colourful book that is impossible to pin down to any genre. I quess there has been a lot of smart stuff written about it, probably a la "the destroying of English middle class suburb idealism in graphic surreal prose" but reading it was a refreshing experience because there seemed to be some kind of ultimate randomness in it and it was a very honest book in a way although completely surreal.
never read that one

must check it out

his heavy-weights in terms of critiquing modern society are probably the techno- trilogy of Crash, High Rise and Concrete Island which are all similat in style and message

strongly. strongly recommend them
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2007, 05:17
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

Haven't read him but if he authored Crash, the film pean to mutilation and sexual clymax upon violent accidental death, the guy needs psychotherapy. If that fails, imprisonment.

Vada a bordo, CAZZO!!! Gregorio De Falco

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each
blade of grass
Yamamoto

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity Sigmund Freud
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2007, 10:22 Thread Starter
red
Forum Manager
Legend

Crash isn't a book wholly about sex and masochism

Its a much wider allegory for the way media images and technology pervert the course of the human condition
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2007, 22:59
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Nah Giure is right, him and Dick belong to an Asylum, but that is also part of the fun of them, they were weirdo, nut, great writers, Dick nailed it big time...from time to time, and Ballard almost allways...

In fact would be great to see how Marinetti could twist some Ballad metaphors with same elements on the mix, techonology, speed, sex, women...esos dos locos juntos se hubieran sacado chispas

BTW Giure, since you are a real TANO, do you know who sang an italian song that in spanish is named "Dicelo tu" ?, in english I think will be sthg like "tell her yourself", I dunno if it's correct my english translation, since my english sucks big time. Maybe is a popular song, I would like to find it in his orginal version, or by the dude or lady that made it famous. Thanxs in advance man

Quote:
You're crazy into that band aren't you man?? I'm certainly partial to a bit of Fripp
nah I'm not crazy about any band in fact, I had some fanatic moments with Piazzolla, and I like a lot Sumo (the leader is teh due that used to perfrom the song I'm asking Giure about), but yeap Red album of KC is a very good album, since they are less fancy there, more raw, powerful, but still being KC.

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in