Harry Potter and the deathly hallows - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 22:45 Thread Starter
International

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows

The last title finally revealed in the harry Potter series , I rushed stright to the online dictionary to find out what 'hallows' actually means and came up with

1.to make holy; sanctify; consecrate.
2. to honour as holy; consider sacred; venerate: to hallow a battlefield

now let the theories begin

My own at the moment is that the deathly could refer to the death eaters ,eg the death eaters hallow a certain somebody (other than voldemort that it)

unfortuntely 'hallows' is already getting confused and changed to 'hollow' on some websites who reported the new title which I found annoying.

Can't wait for the book to come out I'll be pushing kids out of the way to get hold of a copy before the plot comes out in public and spoils the surprise.

"This football club has never been about one individual. It's about a collection and a team - and we are a team' Kenny Dalglish 10/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 22:47
a cloud to embrace / First Place Winner, March-April 2011 Photo Contest
World Class Player

Teams: ♥ bleeding red and black
*squueueeeeeeeee* :smileani:
I have to get it from amazon
Since, the german version will be published later, I'll read the english one, haha.
I have absolutely no clue, how the book will end,... I don't want it to end... Harry Potter is the only fantasy book I can stand ( nay adore)...
But as we know.... every good thing has to come to an end *sighs*
We could add a poll, asking, what people think, will happen.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 22:55 Thread Starter
International

if you haven't read harry potter don't read on cos theres major spoilers

I don't know how she is going to tie up all the lose ends and answer all the questions she has posed in just the one book unless it turns out to be about a 1000 pages.

I happen to think Neville will have a big part to play in the next book ,becos the prohecy could have so easily have been about him.

will harry die in the next book? will harry kill himself to save everyone else by taking voldemort with him or will harry just take voldemort straight out?

will snape turn back to the good side?

will draco who was unwilling to kill dumbledore come back to the good side?

did snape fancy lily potter?

can the horcrux be a person ?

so many questions so few answers.I don't care what any says or thinks about the literary merits of harry Potter ,all I know is that even at the age of 23 the books have been fun ,exciting and not patronising to younger readers in being reluctant in showing up evil and killing off key characters.

"This football club has never been about one individual. It's about a collection and a team - and we are a team' Kenny Dalglish 10/1/11

Last edited by liver bird; December 21st, 2006 at 23:04.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 23:01
World Class Player

Many adults think HP is a book for children - 100% wrong. I know many adults, I convinced to read it,. and they were delighted
I would love it, when the book has more than 1000 sites I just eat it all up easily haha... I read one HP book in less than one day lol (I know, I'm a freak, but I was too excited/engrossed in the story, I couldn't bare to take a break from it.... all the questions "what will happen next" killed me lol...

Why do you believe that snape fancied lilly? Oppositions attract... or what?
I too think Neville will be more detailed, and so on... I think Luna Lovegood too...
I was really sad when Dumbledore died... what a loss
I don't think Snape will come back.. because all the years he was a doubleagent for Voldemort... as for Draco... I think the possibility is there! I like his character, it's very exciting!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 23:16 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna
Many adults think HP is a book for children - 100% wrong. I know many adults, I convinced to read it,. and they were delighted
I would love it, when the book has more than 1000 sites I just eat it all up easily haha... I read one HP book in less than one day lol (I know, I'm a freak, but I was too excited/engrossed in the story, I couldn't bare to take a break from it.... all the questions "what will happen next" killed me lol...

Why do you believe that snape fancied lilly? Oppositions attract... or what?
I too think Neville will be more detailed, and so on... I think Luna Lovegood too...
I was really sad when Dumbledore died... what a loss
I don't think Snape will come back.. because all the years he was a doubleagent for Voldemort... as for Draco... I think the possibility is there! I like his character, it's very exciting!
I read the first three books and I really liked them but I was busy at uni and didn't get to read the next 3 books untill a couple of weeks ago ,I had left it 2 years I can't believe I lfet it so long ,I read goblet of fire ,order of the phoenix and half blood prince(which was the shortest of the three) in 2 weeks I grew obsessive ,not seen my friends or went out untill I read them ,now I am stuck as to what read next now as all I can think about is what happens in the next bloody book, I suppose I could just start reading from the beginning again

I'm thinking of reading the dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman you read that by any chance?

as for wondering why I thought snape fancied lilly ,I don't know remember when he was getting bullied by james that lilly didn't like it and that snape and lilly were in the same class and year at school or were they ? I can't remember ,just something vaguely led me to think there might have been somethig between them.

It really surprised me to think that the prohecy just came from professor trewlawny and if voldemort had never heard it ,he would never have wanted to specifically kill harry ,its like the whole thing has been pointless but now harry potters parents are dead the prophecy whether it was true or not will come true becos harry will never rest untill he has his revenge .

I think luna lovegood is one of the funniest characters in the book ,her geekiness made me laugh out loud ,going to the quidditch matchs with a roaring lion on her head.

When dumbledore died I was just gutted ,the way it happened was just so tragic ,no dignity in his death and harry could do nothing except watch it helplessely ,it was really really sad. Snape just came in and blasted him with no warning ,he just did it without warning,at least draco deliberated for ages and admitted he was forced into it all. Snape just came in and without remorse or pity and like Rowling described a look of revulsion in his face just killed him .I was stunned.

Saying that I think Snape could still could back to the good side as it could have been planned ,earlier in the book it describes dumbledore and snape having an argument ,could dumbledore have told snape that the liquid covering what he thought was the horcrux would kill him anyway so snape should finish him off to make it look believable to voldemort?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 23:18 Thread Starter
International

as you can see I have given harry potter no thought whatsoever.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 23:33
World Class Player

I didn't like Hp first (because I don't like "trends") and I got HP3 as a present, so I read HP3 first. I loved this, so I read 1 and 2 too.
I read the 4th, when it came out, only chapter one, because this chapter was reaaally boring, so I didn't read next... but some day I was bored, so I read, and then I read the 5th and 6th, when they came out
So far I like : 6,5,3,4,1,2 (in that order ^^)

No, I never heard of these books, or this author... as I said.. I don't like fantasy except HP :smileani:

I think Lilly didn#t like it, because she's a nice girl, who thinks of others, and is trying to be fair...

the propehcy? But Voldemort heard it... better said Snape heard a part of it, reported it to Voldemort (only that a baby will be born, a boy, on the end of july, who can kill voldemort; snape didn't hear, that voldemort will loose his power, when trying to kill harry)

Yes Luna is funny, but I think Neville also. I loved the weasley twins... I have a bad feeling they won't be mentioned often ....

Snape had no hard feelings I suppose... It really shocked me... but I already knew before I read the book, that Dumbledore was going to die, 1st. because of some stupid T-shirt, where the text was "dumbledore will die on page xxx, I spared you 30 dollars" ROFL, and 2nd, because my friend spoiled it...

I don't think dumbledore said, that snape should kill him, so voldemort thinks he's dead or something... doesn't make any sense,
and he pleaded snape, but snape just killed him, without consience...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:34
Xtratime Legend

I would just love it if the book ends with Voldemort killing Harry.

1-0 to the bad guys!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:48
PJ
Premier Player

Teams: Barca
how come harry Potter isnt posting here ?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2006, 22:44
World Class Player

ATTENTION SPOILERS FOR BOOK 7, PLEASE DO NOT READ FURTHER; WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SPOILED

Rumours, some confirmed by JK Rowling
- a pupil will be a teacher
- 2 weddings, (1 to be the wedding of hagrid)
- 2 murders committed at least
- a bigger part contributed by "the speaking hat"
- someone who we didn't see using magic, will be able to do so
- We learn more about the Harry's parents, and what they did.
- Something meaningful about his eyes, a big part.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2006, 13:02
Legend

Teams: Fenerbahçe S.K.
When is this coming out?

I can't wait to find out who this R.A.B guy is.

"It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar. What the hell does it mean when they disappear somebody?"
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2006, 13:09
Premier Player

I think I’d cause some physical pain if someone had told me Dumbledore died in the 6th book. People in my school always loved ruining the endings of books so I went and bought it the day it came out and finished it that night. Needless to say my bestfriend ended up screaming Dumbledore died in front of a group of girls only having just started reading the book, and weren’t too pleased.

I actually think Snape is good in his own slimy way, that’s not to say I don’t think he deserves to die for murdering Dumbledore… I’m pretty sure Dumbledore asked him for some unknown reason. I don’t believe that Dumbledore could ever be killed like that… he’s way too powerful to go down without a fight.

I hope Harry doesn’t die in the end, Rowling had been really annoying me with the people she’s deciding to kill off ‘cause I loved both Sirius and Dumbledore. I have a feeling Hagrid might be next… she seems to like picking off adults closest to Harry. I still can’t see how Harry is going to kill Voldemort when he is the most powerful wizard and has many years on Harry, but Rowling always manages to surprise. I don’t think that the wand reversal spell will be happening again, and the disappearance of Ollivander the wand-maker gave off a funny vibe that Voldemort is probably making him fix the problem or something… I could be totally off the mark there though so who knows.

I really think Dumbledore should have helped Harry learn Occlumens properly in his 6th year but whatever Just would have been handy against Voldemort. Okan, R.A.B is rumoured to be Sirius Black’s brother, Regulus but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. The last book better be the fattest thing I’ve laid eyes on.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2006, 17:05
BANNED!
Star Player

Teams: Fenerbahce
I wouldnt mind if this book was 2000 pages or even longer. I'd just keep reading.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2007, 18:36
Legend

Teams: GALATASARAY
It is obvious that Snape killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's orders. The whole idea was to protect Harry because now if Voldemort uses Legilimency on Harry, he will see that Harry loathes Snape, which is exactly what the Order of the Phoenix wants Voldemort to think
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2007, 00:00
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I am so damn excited for this, but sad in a way too. I grew up with Harry Potter, I remember reading the first one back when I was 10 or 11, and now its coming to an end. I've got my copy reserved at the local bookstore and will be heading over tomorrow night to pick it up. Right now my biggest fear is that some jerk in the bookstore will open up to the ending and shout it out.

Right now I'm pretty convinced Voldemort will die and if not die be vanquished once and for all. There's just no way I feel that she could end the series with Voldemort going free. I personally don't want Harry to die, but I'm unsure of whether he will or not he actually will. I'm fairly certain a youth close to Harry will be killed. Rowling says two major characters will be killed, and I'm guessing Voldemort will count as one.

http://mugglenet.com has been collecting these facts confirmed by an official source (usually Rowling) that are things that will definitely be revealed in the book. I have spoilered it in case anyone doesn't want to read it:

Spoiler:

Character Info
-We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter.
-R.A.B.'s identity will be revealed
-We will find out more about Dumbledore's past.
-We will learn where Snape's loyalties lie.
-Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, though we already know she is not a Squib. [My note: does that not exclude her from being a witch?]
-Viktor Krum will return
-We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge
-Rowling has said "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..." [I personally think that this is Aunt Petunia, especially after the above statement...maybe a Squib will be able to do magic though, Mrs. Figg, Filch?]

Plot Info
-Harry will face Voldemort for the final time
-Harry will be attempting to find and destroy the final Horcruxes
-Harry will return to the Dursley's for school vacation, but his magical protection there will expire when he comes of age on hist 17th birthday (July 31 of the summer that begins the book)
-Harry will go to Godric's Hollow (where his parents were murdered)
-The two-way mirror will make a reappearance
-Fleur and Bill will get married
-The fact that Harry has his mother's eyes will be an important plot point (this intrigues me very much, perhaps more than anything else so far)
-At least one character will die.

Other
-The last word is rumored to be "scar", but that may change.
-We will learn the exact reason some people become ghosts when they die and others do not.
-The final chapter will detail what happens to the surviving characters.
-There will be no more Quidditch.

There is also a "Loose Ends" section regarding the book, but that has alot of spectulation and such. One thing that did catch my eye was. "Will Peter Pettigrew repay his life debt to Harry?" That might have an important bearing on the final battle between Harry and Voldemort and whether or not Harry survives.

I'm also interested to see where Snape's loyalties lie. Judging from Snape's actions and the circumstances in which they took place during the 6th book, it could go either way. I'm personally inclined to believe he's good, Harry will confront him and he will explain himself (this seems to be a traditional pattern of interaction between Harry and Snape), but I wouldn't be surprised if Snape is on the Dark side. Could Harry possibly kill Snape?

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2007, 17:24
International

A whole host of characters die.

Only 6 1/2 hoursto go to the official launch
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2007, 09:41
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
HARRY DIES IN THE END OF THE BOOK

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2007, 15:55
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
HARRY DIES IN THE END OF THE BOOK
Aww, you spoiled it. p

Little late aint ya Andy? Most people would have completed the book hours ago
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:05
Legend

Teams: GALATASARAY
What a fitting end to an unbelievable series
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:29
Xtratime Legend

I haven't read a single one of the books nor have I seen any of the movies....aside from the inevitable trailers which left me cold.

Now - I did read the reviews from the two Danish papers I usually read, and I know the reviewers who are both family fathers and geeks - one as regards movies and one a snobbish litterary geek. Both were absolutely glowing with praise for the last book.

...and considering how much I used to like Tolkien and the Dragonlance books when I was growing up.... I suppose I should at least try it out and see what the hype is all about....

APATHY: A word now fallen into disuse due to a lack of concern for it.

The debute said it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guo5p...eature=related

Last edited by Glen; July 22nd, 2007 at 08:51.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in