The Fantasy Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

The Fantasy Thread

Any fans of Fantasy out here? If so, what do you recommend? Talk about a book, a series, etc.

Sometimes there's nothing like reading a good fantasy book to just get out of this world and let your imagination go wild.

I will give some recommendations:

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time

A multi volume series of best sellers, the last 4 have all been number 1 NY Times best sellers. So far 11 books have been published with the last and final one the 12th book to come out shortly, the date depending on the author's health who sadly has been given by some doctors 2-4 more years to live, but he will beat it.

The Wheel of Time™ Series

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose.... The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time.
But it was a beginning."

With this phrase, millions of readers have entered a world strikingly real, rich in detail and complexity—the world of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. A world of kings, queens, and Aes Sedai—women who can tap the True Source and wield the One Power, which turns the Wheel and drives the universe: a world where the war between Light and Shadow is fought every day.

At the moment of Creation, the Creator bound the Dark One away from the world of humankind, but more than three thousand years ago, Aes Sedai, then both men and women, unknowingly bored into that prison outside of time. The Dark One was able to touch the world only lightly before the hole was soon sealed over. But the Dark One's taint settled on saidin, the male half of the Power, and every male Aes Sedai went mad. In the Breaking of the World they destroyed civilization and changed the very face of the earth, sinking mountains beneath the sea and bringing new seas where land had been.

Now only women bear the title Aes Sedai. Commanded by their Amyrlin Seat and divided into seven Ajahs named by color, they rule the great island city of Tar Valon, where their White Tower stands, and are bound by the Three Oaths, fixed into their bones with saidar, the female half of the Power: To speak no word that is not true, to make no weapon for one man to kill another, and never to use the One Power against another except as a weapon against Shadowspawn or, in the last extreme, of defending her own life or that of her Warder or another sister.

Men still are born who can learn to channel the Power, or worse, who will channel one day whether they try to or not. Doomed to madness, destruction, and death by the taint of the saidin, they are hunted down by the Aes Sedai and gentled, cut off forever from the Power for the safety of the world. No man goes to this willingly. Even if they survive the hunt, they seldom survive long after gentling.

For more than three thousand years, while empires rose and fell, nothing has been so feared as a man who can channel. But for all those three thousand years there have been the Prophecies of the Dragon, that the seal of the Dark One's prison will weaken and he will touch the world once more, and the Dragon, who sealed up that hole, will be Reborn to face the Dark One again. A child, born in sight of Tar Valon on the slopes of Dragonmount, will grow up to be the Dragon Reborn, the only hope of humanity in the Last Battle.

A world of kings and queens, nations and wars, where the White Tower rules only Tar Valon but even kings and queens are wary of Aes Sedai machinations. A world where the Shadow and the Prophecies loom together.

This is the world Robert Jordan invites all to enter. This is the world of The Wheel of Time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:11 Thread Starter
Star Player

Steven Erikson - Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen

I know at least one here that must like this awesome ten-part saga.
Oh Lord of the Tiste Andii, Lord of Moon's Spawn, Son of Darkness, Knight of Darkness show thyself.

So far 4 of the books have been released in the US, as they were previously published in Europe, but there are 6 out there that have been published and you can get hold of them.

1. Gardens of the Moon (1999)
2. Deadhouse Gates (2000)
3. Memories of Ice (2001)
4. House of Chains (2002)
5. Midnight Tides (2004)
6. The Bonehunters (2006)
7. Reaper's Gale (due for release in 2007)
8. Toll the Hounds (forthcoming, no release date set)
9. Dust of Dreams (forthcoming, no release date set)
10. The Crippled God (forthcoming, no release date set

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is a fantasy series written by Canadian author Steven Erikson, consisting of six books as of 2006 and projected to be ten books long in total. It is an epic fantasy, wide in scope and encompassing the stories of a very large cast of characters. Each book tells a different chapter in the ongoing saga of the Malazan Empire and its wars. For the first five books, each volume is self-contained, in that the primary conflict of each novel is resolved within that novel. However, many underlying characters and events are delicately interwoven throughout the works of this highly complex series, binding it together.

Erikson has invented a world where the Gods play a daily role, where magic is used and where people are real. His style is superb, and he is not above killing off heroes

This series has it all, it's kick-ass serious stuff.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:35 Thread Starter
Star Player

George RR Martin - A song of Ice and Fire
A Song of Ice and Fire (commonly abbreviated as ASoIaF) is a series of epic fantasy novels by American author George R.R. Martin.

A Game of Thrones

The first volume in Martin's first fantasy saga, A Song of Ice and Fire, combines intrigue, action, romance, and mystery in a family saga. The family is the Starks of Winterfell, a society in crisis due to climatic change that has created decades-long seasons, and a society almost without magic but with human perversity abundant and active. Martin reaches a new plateau in terms of narrative technique, action scenes, and integrating (or not injecting) his political views into the story. He does not avoid a dauntingly large cast and a daunting number of viewpoint shifts, but these are problems seemingly inseparable from the multivolume fantasy genre. Accordingly, one doubts there will be any other comfortable entry point into this example of the genre except at the beginning. Judging by this beginning, however, it promises to repay reading and rereading, from first volume to last, on account of its literacy, imagination, emotional impact, and superb world-building. -Booklist

A Clash of Kings

In the sequel to A Game of Thrones (1996), Martin skillfully limns the complicated, bitter politics of an inbred aristocracy, among whom an 11-year-old may be a bride, a ward, or a hostage, depending on the winds of war. Each of four men pronounces himself the rightful king, and the land of Westeros shudders with battles and betrayals. The dark, crisp plotting will please fans of the layered intrigues of Dorothy Dunnett or Robert Graves, and Graves' Claudius is echoed by the character of Queen Cersei's dwarf brother, Tyrion. Other notable characters are crippled eight-year-old Bran; Melisandre, a beautiful, menacing priestess; and Ser Davos, who won knighthood breaking a siege with a boatload of onions. Over all hover the threats of decades-long winter and the rebirth of the loathsome, magical Old Powers. Aided by an appendix of kings and their courts, Clash can be enjoyed on its own, though many then may retreat to Game, reread Clash, and impatiently await more of Westeros. -Booklist

A Storm of Swords

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. -Amazon

A Feast for Crows - NY Times #1 Bestseller

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears....With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist--or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes...and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests--but only a few are the survivors.

Due to complexities that arose during the writing process, A Feast for Crows only includes some of the POV characters from the past novels, as well as some new characters who appear only briefly. The remaining characters will return in A Dance with Dragons, the fifth book.

5th Book:
A Dance with Dragons
Coming out shortly

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 04:38 Thread Starter
Star Player

I concentrated mainly on some epic fantasy series. There are many other books; one volume and/or more that I love by other authors. Will post later if there are other fantasay lovers out here.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 09:20
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
I've been reading some Sci-Fi recently (the Sci-Fi/Fantasy here are on the same shelf, is that how it is usually?)

Anyway, several fantasy books have caught my eye, especially the Tad Williams, and L.E. Modesitt books.

I want something with a good plot and not too aimed at 12-yr-old level. Not that I mind those, but their lack of depth can get boring...

I'll try and look for the above titles

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 14:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

The above titles are by no means aimed at a 12 year old level. No Harry Potters here, although I know many love those books.

I would say that Erikson's Malazan is definitely Rated R, there are no kids, no funny business here, all real armies with lot's of actions and great complex plots and characters.

GRRM's ASoIaF at times it could be said that it is rated X hehehee. It's crazy and awesome.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:25
Star Player

Teams: Preston North End & Stade Rennais
My favourites are by Raymond E. Feist.

Magician is my single favourite book, and the Riftwar saga in general is very, very good. The Empire Series along with Janny Wurts is my favourite trilogy too- the best series of books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

I have no sig. If anybody would like to make me one, please inform me
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 23:34 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Lionheart
My favourites are by Raymond E. Feist.

Magician is my single favourite book, and the Riftwar saga in general is very, very good. The Empire Series along with Janny Wurts is my favourite trilogy too- the best series of books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
I have read the Feist Magician series, I like them, can not say they're among my favorites but they were good to read at the time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 00:04
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Lazio, Blackburn, Ajax, Italy
I tried Magician, didn't like it, never bothered to read anything else by Feist. Too stereotypical.

As far as really epic fantasy on a grand scale goes my favourite is the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Very impressive style, addicting plot, awesome, and I really mean awesome, battle scenes, interesting character, original setting.

The leader in creativity for me China Mievile (authour of Perdido Street Station). His imagination is so wild that sometiems it hurts his own books since he doesn't develop some of his ideas well. And I have read that even native speakers sometiems use dictionaries to read his books. It's a bit of pain for me to read them because his language is very sophisticated but it's well worth it.

People looking for superb character development and more realism should try Robin Hobb's books. If you want poetic style and lyrical atmoshpere - Gyu Gavriel Kay.

“But we're a university! We have to have a library!" said Ridcully. "It adds tone. What sort of people would we be if we didn't go into the library?"

"Students," said Senior Wrangler morosely.”
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 02:26 Thread Starter
Star Player

And the Rake shows. Man I love Malazan too. I even use Anomander as my nick in some places, sorry to steal it from you hehe.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2006, 13:30
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
I concentrated mainly on some epic fantasy series. There are many other books; one volume and/or more that I love by other authors. Will post later if there are other fantasay lovers out here.
I use to love the wheel of time, but like so many others I am of the general consensus that he lost it over time. the books have moved over to a snails pace where he can describe a person for a 100 pages just to never mention him again...

A song of fire and ice is class, read the first three, waiting out the fifth and won't read the fourth before that.

ps. Harry Potter is the worlds smartest copy work of CS Lewis I seen, I wish I did it and milked the money
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2006, 20:27
Rookie

I think Ursula K. Guin books are really worth a read, even if you don't like fantasy. There is much more then that in her books

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in