Star Player

XIII

Any fans of the series on this board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 19:47
Rising Star

Jep, I own the complete series

Class comic books; good story, great drawing,... the last couple of volumes were a bit disappointing though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 21:00 Thread Starter
Star Player

You mean before or after "Het vonnis"?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 23:40
Rising Star

Well, I think the first eight volumes, from 'Zwarte Vrijdag' till 'Dertien contra één', were the best part of the series. The next 4 (till 'Het Vonnis') were also pretty good, and part thirteen, 'Het Onderzoek', isn't really part of the normal series, but in itself also good imo.
But after that Van Hamme just drags out the story a bit too long for my taste, and it is a lot weaker as before. Especially the last volume was pretty disappointing. Maybe it's not the best example, because it suffers the fate of being the one where everything is put into place for the final volume But still, the cheeky love stories for example, or the sometimes plain weak dialogue...

Btw, in case you don't know it yet, check out this site: http://www.bdxiii.com/ It's really good.

Do you like other work of Van Hamme as well?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 07:07 Thread Starter
Star Player

Well, I've only got to "Het vonnis" yet and I haven't read any of his other work yet. Is it worth checking out?

I totally with your view on the series so far, though. Maybe the part about el cascador was a bit too long, but that's nitpicking.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 09:13
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by binswhacker
Well, I've only got to "Het vonnis" yet and I haven't read any of his other work yet. Is it worth checking out?
Certainly His work is exceptionally good imo; enormous production with a very divers and high level of stories. I don't know all of it of course, but I'll give you an introduction to what I'm familiar with:

He has a couple of other series as well. Of those Largo Winch is the most comparable to XIII in terms of stories, characters, etc I'd say. Not too comparable either though, as it's, for a start, about the adventures of a young billionaire so already the concept is pretty different to XIII's It's a lot more financial and complex in terms of themes as well. In this series two stories form a unity each time.
It suffers a bit from the same disease as XIII at the moment though, meaning that the level of the last few volumes was a bit lower.

Then you have Thorgal, where Rosinski, whose style I like a lot, makes the drawings. Thorgal is completely different to XIII or Largo Winch. Placed on a background of vikings in Scandinavia it combines elements of Scandinavian mythology, sciene fiction, fantasy... It's a bit strange at first, difficult to get into in a way, but all in all I like this series more than Largo Winch. Here he also works with the principle that a couple of volumes form kind of a unity, but the number of them varies.
Both Thorgal and XIII are one volume away of completion of the series actually. After that Van Hamme will quit writing the scenario's, but the drawers will go on with another scenarist normally.

Another, more recent, series is Lady S.. Here the story is about a woman and her mysterious background, and the themes are more modern and geopolitical. Also recommendable. For Wayne Shelton Van Hamme only wrote the first two volumes, but after that the level sank a lot. It's like James Bond meets the A-Team; a war veteran sells his services in stories with a lot of action, exotic locations,...

He has also wrote some seperate stories, most of it is less know. I can recommend:
- Western. Again a coorporation with Rosinski. A Far West-story without any Indians; really good.
- De Bloedbruiloft. This one is pretty known, and Deruddere made it into a movie some time ago. It's a coorportation between two legends of the Belgian comic book world, Van Hamme and Hermann. Also very good.
- Verhaal zonder helden and Verhaal zonder helden: 20 jaar later which form a unity.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2006, 11:25 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thanks.

Should've seen the similarity with Largo Winch. I flipped through a few stories once, but somehow haven't caught on. Dunno why.

Thorgal is another story. Don't know why, but I'm just not much of a fan of viking(related) stories.

Good to know de bloedbruiloft is originally a van hamme-story. I should check out those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in