Orhan Pamuk - Xtratime Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2005, 03:29 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Orhan Pamuk

I just finished his novel Snow and I must say I liked it a lot. In the beginning it takes an effort to get used to the slow narrative tone of the book, but if you go through with it, you discover a fantastic view on the divided nature (between Western and Islamic culture) of the Turkish soul. Although that last concept certainly is one of Orhan Pamuk's theme he goes much further and uses it as a methaphore for 'la condition humaine'. That might sound pretty unattractive, but believe me Snow is a very smart book with a lot of nuances and on top of that it contains some very funny scenes.

This year the book got the Prix Médicis in France and in Germany, Pamuk received the German book industry's peace prize. Along with the trial Pamuk faces in Turkey, the author has become hot. Time to talk about him in Bonita's Bookshop. Has anybody read something of Pamuk?

Last edited by gOD; December 19th, 2005 at 03:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2005, 14:01
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United
I think this will end up in political forum.

All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2005, 14:12 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

No it won't because any unfriendly comment will be immediately deleted. It should be possible to discuss such a great author here.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 19:00
Rookie

orhan pamuk is a great author i agree but he is a small man and if you dont agree with me the only thing i can say is you only see what you want to see...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2016, 17:49
Rising Star

Teams: Spurs, Derby, Burton Albion, Besiktas
I think I like his non-fiction (his memoir about Istanbul, his home city) best. Of his novels, "My name is Red" is my favourite. I find that some of the others, particularly "The Museum of Innocence", drag rather. The tension between traditional Turkish culture and western ways features prominently in all his fiction (or all of the novels by Pamuk that I have read). Perhaps this is a true reflection of life in Turkey, but as a reader I began to find it a little too repetitive; I would like to see him change tack. I feel his heart's in the right place, and he demonstrates a good awareness of the privileges enjoyed and the failings displayed by the class that he hails from (so much so that his mother fell out with him because she felt he had aired too much of the family's dirty linen, apparently).
YBC likes this.

F****t saved by goal difference.

Last edited by ridge; December 9th, 2016 at 18:00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in