Fun With Yiddish - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2005, 22:05 Thread Starter
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Fun With Yiddish

Since I know we have some people here who read books which might have Yiddish words and phrases in them, and I know a lot of them (my grandfather reverts back to them when he gets mad, which is one of the ways I know the conversion didn't quite take). Thus, a short Yiddish/English dictionary for the goyishers and shiksas:

Balabusta: A bossy woman or the bosses wife. Yes, it does sound like "ballbuster".

Boychik: A young man or a cute little boy.

Bubbala: Darling, dear.

Bupkes: A worthless thing, worth less than nothing.

Chazzer: A pig. To 'nosh a chazzer' is to eat like a pig.

Chutzpah: Nerve or gall. A person with a lot of chutzpah would kill their parents and then fall upon the mercy of the court on account of being an orphan.

Dreck: Junk of the lowest quality.

Feygala: A little flitting bird, more commonly used as a semi-vulgarism to describe a homosexual man.

Fercoked: All ****ed up.

Fershlugina: All messed up, but not quite completely ****ed up.

oy Gevalt: Oh, how terrible!

Goniff: A thief, swindler and crook. Someone who'd sell his own mother for a dollar.

Gelt: Money.

Goy/Goyim/Goyisher: A gentile man.

Kibitz: Unwanted comments or teasing amongst friends.

Klutz: An awkward, uncoordinated person.

Kosher: Legitimate.

Kvell: To beam with pride and joy.

Kvetch: To complain and to annoy.

Landsmann: Someone from the same town, literaly. The Yiddish way of saying, "That's my boy!"

Lok in Kop: Like a hole in the head. Something you do not need. "I need this tsurris like a lok in kop!"

Luftmensch: A guy with his head in the clouds.

Macher: An ambitious schemer, a comer you cannot trust.

Maven: An expert.

Mazel: Luck.

Mazel Tov!: Good luck!

a Meesa Mashee af Deer!: May you die a horrible death!

Magillah: Something long, complicated and borring. "She told a magillah of a story and that was six hours I'll never get back!"

Mensch: A good and noble person.

Meshuggah/Meshugginah: Crazy in the head.

Mishegoss: Innappropriate actions.

Mispocha: Extended family. "Over the Holidays, I got to see the whole mispocha and I'm happy they come only once a year!"

Momzer: Bastard.

Nebbish: A loser.

Nosh: To eat.

Oy Vey Meer!: Woe is me!

Pisher: A person of no consequence. Literaly, a bed-wetter.

Plotz: To burst or to explode.

Putz: A vulgarism for cock, usually used to describe a total fool.

Schlock: Cheaply made junk.

Schmaltz: Literaly chicken fat, but most always used to describe sentimental behavior. "God, was that film Beaches a load of schmaltz or what?"

Schmuck: Yet another vulgarism for cock, this one means someone who is a total jerk. Someone who acts like a schmuck acts like a real dick.

Shanda: A shame.

Shiksa: A gentile woman. Most often used to describe a blonde aryan type like say Bo Derek.

Schlemiel: A born loser. A schlemiel invests in summer clothes during an ice age.

Shlemazel: A person with bad luck. For example, someone who closes on a real estate purchase in San Francisco the day of an 8.5 earthquake.

Shlep: To carry.

Shmendrick: A weak person.

Shmatta: An old rag. Most often used to describe something a person is wearing, often ironically. "This shmatta? Its just some Chanel couture I picked up wholesale."

Shmeer: To spread.

Shmooz: To gossip or shoot the breeze.

Shmutz: Literaly,dirt. Often used to describe something nasty you have gotten on yourself. "I shmutzed on myself after some ill-advised fried foods and too much beer."

Shnorrer: A moocher. "I don't want that shnorrer around because he always eats the food out of my refrigerator."

Shnoz/Shnozola: A big nose.

Shtik: A thing you do, an act. "Look out, she's going into her martyr shtik."

Shtup: Sex. Thus, Lili Von Shtup was well named in Blazing Saddles.

Shvitz: To sweat or a steam bath. "Of course my hair looks awful, I've been in a shvitz for three hours!"

Shvantz: A larger than normal penis. "That Jeff Stryker, he's got quite a shvantz. He could scratch his head if his hands were tied."

Spiel: To play a game. Most often used, however, to mean a story. "When asked she went into a long spiel about her cooking skills and how that'd saved her life in the War."

Tchotcke: A cheap trinket. frequently used to describe a sexy but brainless girl.

Tsurris: Worries.

Tuches: Ass. A tuches lekker is an ass kisser.

Ver Clempt: All chocked up. Linda Richman was always getting ver clempt and asking you to talk amongst yourselves about the Holy Roman Empire.

Yenta: A old busybody woman. She is in everyone's business whether they want it or not.

Yentz: Sex of the kind which musses your hair up, but most often used to describe getting cheated or swindled.

Yutz: A loveable fool. The village idiot. Every village needs its yutz.

Zaftig: Juicy, plump, ripe. Usually used to describe a buxom woman. One could describe me as zaftig, but not to my face.

Zhlub: A ill-mannered idiot.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2005, 19:02
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
That's a really funny language, I must say

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2005, 19:08
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIO
Putz: A vulgarism for cock, usually used to describe a total fool..
In 'Odessish' it's potz, from the Yiddish.
http://www.odessit.com/databases/dcread.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIO
Schmaltz: Literaly chicken fat, but most always used to describe sentimental behavior. "God, was that film Beaches a load of schmaltz or what?"

Schmuck: Yet another vulgarism for cock, this one means someone who is a total jerk. Someone who acts like a schmuck acts like a real dick.

Schlemiel: A born loser. A schlemiel invests in summer clothes during an ice age.

Shlemazel: A person with bad luck. For example, someone who closes on a real estate purchase in San Francisco the day of an 8.5 earthquake.

Shmendrick: A weak person.

Shmatta: An old rag. Most often used to describe something a person is wearing, often ironically. "This shmatta? Its just some Chanel couture I picked up wholesale."

Shmeer: To spread.

Shmooz: To gossip or shoot the breeze.

Shmutz: Literaly,dirt. Often used to describe something nasty you have gotten on yourself. "I shmutzed on myself after some ill-advised fried foods and too much beer."
You missed "Schmeichel" - A stupid red-nosed Danish goalkeeper who lets Rivaldo score easy goals against him

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2005, 21:02
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Nun
You missed "Schmeichel" - A stupid red-nosed Danish goalkeeper who lets Rivaldo score easy goals against him
Bwah! There goes another keyboard!

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in