Jonathan Safran Foer - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2005, 16:46 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Jonathan Safran Foer

Jonathan Safran Foer is also the writer of 'Everything is illuminated'. 'Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close' is the story about Oskar Schell, a 9 year old kid, whose dad died in the 9/11 attacks. He finds a key that belonged to his father and goes on a quest to find the lock in which it fits.

The book is tender, sometimes heartbreaking, but due to Foer's incredible talent never corny. Even the 'over-intelligent' 9-year-old never annoys. This makes it an incredible and often funny read. If you only are going to read 1 book this year, choose 'Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2005, 22:08
Star Player

gOD, are you Jonathan Safran Foer????
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2005, 22:10
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
Jonathan Safran Foer is also the writer of 'Everything is illuminated'. 'Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close' is the story about Oskar Schell, a 9 year old kid, whose dad died in the 9/11 attacks. He finds a key that belonged to his father and goes on a quest to find the lock in which it fits.

The book is tender, sometimes heartbreaking, but due to Foer's incredible talent never corny. Even the 'over-intelligent' 9-year-old never annoys. This makes it an incredible and often funny read. If you only are going to read 1 book this year, choose 'Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close'!
Geert-

I heard about this book through a friend. How bad or how entertaining is the read? Easy read or hard read?

Thanks-
Flo

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2005, 23:55 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

The cover placed Foer between Isaac Bashevis Singer and Saul Bellow. Coincidentally the book I read before was Bellow's 'Herzog'. Having read quite some books of Singer as well, I can tell you that 'Extremely loud....' is much much lighter than those works. The only reason for the comparison to me is that all 3 authors are (NY'ers?) of Jewish origine.

It reads easily, it is very funny at times (think Dave Eggers without the arrogance), and although it sometimes feels light, it certainly isn't (of course not with that subject). Give it a try (and if you did, tell us what you thought about it)

Last edited by gOD; October 8th, 2005 at 01:38.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2005, 01:33
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
The cover placed Foer between Isaac Bashevis Singer and Saul Bellow. Coincidentally the book I read before was Bellow's 'Herzog'. Having read quite some books of Singer as well, I can tell you that 'Extremely loud....' is much much lighter than those works. The only reason for the comparison to me is that all 3 authors are of Jewish origine.

It reads easily, it is very funny at times (think Dave Eggers without the arrogance), and although it sometimes feels light, it certainly isn't (of course not with that subject). Give it a try (and if you did, tell us what you thought about it)
Will do Geert and thanks for the insight.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 01:00 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

I'm now reading "Everything Is Illuminated". It's Jonathan Safran Foer's debut. Has anyboy read it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2006, 22:58 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
I'm now reading "Everything Is Illuminated". It's Jonathan Safran Foer's debut. Has anyboy read it?
If not do so. It's a truely amazing book!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2006, 16:45
Rookie

Foer was in Brazil last month, talking about his new book. I haven't read it, but sounds like a very good one.

Actually, right now I'm reading his older brother's book, How soccer explains the world. It a very interesting view on our favourite sport. If anyone wants to check it out, the author is called Franklin Foer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in