Portuguese-Spanish Writers - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2005, 19:36 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Portuguese-Spanish Writers

Miss Future President Lili asked me for suggestions of latin american writers but I hope she does not mind to make this open - after all I know just a little and more open eyes just can help me out...
(a note, She already know Paulo Coelho, while I think there is no problem reading it, I consider that he will be burried under really better brazilian writers )

Although he is not latin-american, Fernando Pessoa is a awesome poet. His own life is a life of genious so, give a try.

My favorite brazilian writer is Monteiro Lobato. One of that dudes who used to think. He was a great short tales writer but his greatest work and my favorite are a serie of stories named Sitio do Pica-pau Amarelo, children-like fables where he was able to make a awesome critic to brazilian society and still be full of magic. He also used it as pedagogical material and in time, to introduce here european mythology. (one of the resourses he used was for example to make the characters of the book to travel to old greece or make Peter Pan or Dom Quixote just to show up). In time, he was one of the great translator of Lewis Caroll, Ballard or Esop here and a researcher of brazilian folk lore.

But if talking in terms of critics one name is above all and it is João Guimarães Rosa. He have momments of pure wonder, in a joycean style of manipulation of language he have this problem: it must be read in portuguese. Using oral idiom in his books he gave to books like Manuelzão e Migulim a unique air. Some of his short stories are also pure poetry in prose, like his re-writing of Red Hat story (named the Green Lace)...

Then we have Carlos Drummond de Andrade, poetry and prose are his area and a very intimist, shy and sensible poet he managed to leave behind some of the best lines of portuguese poetry ever.

I could add also Oswald de Andrade, Manuel Bandeira, Cecilia Meireles, Machado de Assis, José de Alencar, Gonçalves Dias, Castro Alves, Graciliano Ramos, Mario Filho, Raquel de Queiroz, Nelson Rodrigues, Vinicius de Morais (also a singer), José lins do Rego, Ariano Suassuna, Jorge Amado, Lima Barreto, Mario de Andrade, Erico Verissimo, Euclides da Cunha, Olavo Billac, Camara Cascudo...

If I only list those names it is not by any means to suggest less or more importance - and I probally left some names, after all lists are super-market things - it is just because occured me to write about the first 3 and left the others who have impressive masterpieces to a later talk...

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2005, 19:38
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo
Miss Future President Lili asked me for suggestions of latin american writers but I hope she does not mind to make this open - after all I know just a little and more open eyes just can help me out...
(a note, She already know Paulo Coelho, while I think there is no problem reading it, I consider that he will be burried under really better brazilian writers )

Although he is not latin-american, Fernando Pessoa is a awesome poet. His own life is a life of genious so, give a try.

My favorite brazilian writer is Monteiro Lobato. One of that dudes who used to think. He was a great short tales writer but his greatest work and my favorite are a serie of stories named Sitio do Pica-pau Amarelo, children-like fables where he was able to make a awesome critic to brazilian society and still be full of magic. He also used it as pedagogical material and in time, to introduce here european mythology. (one of the resourses he used was for example to make the characters of the book to travel to old greece or make Peter Pan or Dom Quixote just to show up). In time, he was one of the great translator of Lewis Caroll, Ballard or Esop here and a researcher of brazilian folk lore.

But if talking in terms of critics one name is above all and it is João Guimarães Rosa. He have momments of pure wonder, in a joycean style of manipulation of language he have this problem: it must be read in portuguese. Using oral idiom in his books he gave to books like Manuelzão e Migulim a unique air. Some of his short stories are also pure poetry in prose, like his re-writing of Red Hat story (named the Green Lace)...

Then we have Carlos Drummond de Andrade, poetry and prose are his area and a very intimist, shy and sensible poet he managed to leave behind some of the best lines of portuguese poetry ever.

I could add also Oswald de Andrade, Manuel Bandeira, Cecilia Meireles, Machado de Assis, José de Alencar, Gonçalves Dias, Castro Alves, Graciliano Ramos, Mario Filho, Raquel de Queiroz, Nelson Rodrigues, Vinicius de Morais (also a singer), José lins do Rego, Ariano Suassuna, Jorge Amado, Lima Barreto, Mario de Andrade, Erico Verissimo, Euclides da Cunha, Olavo Billac, Camara Cascudo...

If I only list those names it is not by any means to suggest less or more importance - and I probally left some names, after all lists are super-market things - it is just because occured me to write about the first 3 and left the others who have impressive masterpieces to a later talk...
Great Post JC!

I hope Inacio will come in and enlighten us a bit on the topic.

My interest: My sister is getting married and wants me to read a love poem by a Portuguese author then translate it in English (well, the best way possible) at her wedding.

Look forward to anyone's help and/or reccomendations.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:33
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Try this for starters, Flo.

By Fiama Hasse Pais Brandão (poet, playwright, novelist; born in Lisbon, 1938). The following poem was written in 2002.

DA VOZ DAS COISAS

Só a rajada de vento
dá o som lírico
às pás do moinho.

Somente as coisas tocadas
pelo amor das outras
têm voz.

The Voice of Things

Only the wind’s gusts
give lyrical sound
to the windmill’s sails.

Only things touched
by the love of other things
have a voice.

* I have "heavier" ones if you're interested. *

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:50 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

and if you want to give a chance to a Brazilian, Carlos Drummond de Andrade:

As sem razões do amor

Eu te amo porque te amo.
Não precisas ser amante,
e nem sempre sabes sê-lo.
Eu te amo porque te amo.
Amor é estado de graça
e com amor não se paga.

Amor é dado de graça,
é semeado no vento,
na cachoeira, no elipse.
Amor foge a dicionários
e a regulamentos vários.

Eu te amo porque não amo
bastante ou demais a mim.
Porque amor não se troca,
não se conjuga nem se ama.
Porque amor é amor a nada,
feliz e forte em si mesmo.

Amor é primo da morte,
e da morte vencedor,
por mais que o matem (e matam)
a cada instante de amor.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:27
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

To start you can try:

From Spain: few managed the spanish language like Quevedo, amazing.
From Cuba: even better than Quevedo, Alejo Carpentier, a master of words.
From Uruguay: the bastard Onetti, a monster writer.
From Paraguay: the nice, if I have to imagine the face of good intentions, of Good and nice, is Roa Bastos, great writer.
From Colombia:is impossible to avoid Gabo, and on the other side of the street Vallejos is quite visceral.
From Venezuela, you must help to enlight my ignorance, it slips me now what author.
From Peru: the great Vargas LLosa, one of my fauvorites from the latin boom of the 60's.
From Chile: I don't like Neruda, only few things I think Bolaños is amazing, I've only read one book from him, that now slips my mind badly but is great writer, I've disecovered him lately.
From Ecuador, you must help me, Bern, is your work.
From central america and North, I can only speak for Fuentes and Dario, but mainly a liked a lot "Pedro Paramo" from Rulfo.
From argentina: the holly triad is enough: Borges - Bioy Casares - Cortazar

though Borges is sort of universal a la Joyce or Kafka

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:32
Legend

hey it was call "Los detectives salvajes", the book of Bolaños I mean

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:47
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo

I hope Inacio will come in and enlighten us a bit on the topic.

here is one of my fav poems, from one of my fav poets....i've done a quick translation, but it cant possibly sound like it does in portuguese
I find this one very adequated to the purpose u have mentioned

and if u want, u can even download a song that was made using this poem. the band is called Trovante, the song is called "Perdidamente"

Florbela Espanca - "Ser Poeta"

Ser poeta é ser mais alto, é ser maior
Do que os homens! Morder como quem beija!
É ser mendigo e dar como quem seja
Rei do Reino de Áquem e de Além Dor!

É ter de mil desejos o esplendor
E não saber sequer que se deseja!
É ter cá dentro um astro que flameja,
É ter garras e asas de condor!

É ter fome, é ter sede de Infinito!
Por elmo, as manhãs de oiro e de cetim...
É condensar o mundo num só grito!

E é amar-te, assim, perdidamente...
É seres alma, e sangue, e vida em mim
E dizê-lo cantando a toda a gente!

translation

To be a poet is to be higher, bigger
Than men! To bite as one kisses!
It is to be a beggar and yet give as if one is
King of the Kingdom of There and Beyond Pain!

It is to have the splendor of a thousand wishes
And not even know that one desires!
It is to have inside a burning star,
It is to have claws and wings of a condor!

It is to have hunger, to be thirsty of Infinite!
By elm, the mornings of gold and satin....
It is to condense the world in one lonely cry!

And it is to love you, this way, helplessly.....
It is you being the soul and blood and life in me
And saying it singing to everyone!

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:54
Legend

anyway I forget some ladies: Mistral, Storni, Ocampo, Sor Juana mainly women are great in poetry

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 17:59
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Thanks for all the suggestions good people.

JCamillo, my sister is Portuguese and she had no other request other to make sure the poem was Portuguese and from a Portuguese author. Nothing personal but that's her blood and she wants people to know that at the wedding. Bad enough that people who know her listen to "Mas Que Nada" and credit it a great Portuguese tune. p

Bonita, great little poem but need something that will take a couple of minutes altogether to recite in both Portuguese and English.

Fangio, you're knowledge of Poets and authors from around the globe is outstanding. Thanks for the insight.

Inacio, my true Portuguese sister may have a winner here. Love the flow of the words in Portuguese and the English translation isn't that choppy. I'm going to send this one to her right now and see if she likes it. If not, back to the drawing board I suppose. Good to see I got good people here helping me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 21:20
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
Muchas gracias for all the great recommandations, everybody. I hope i will find the books translated into slovene and if not, i will look for them over amazon.com. I truely regret I don't speak spanish or portugese to read them in origin.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 22:51
Legend

Lili, also check out one of the most famous Latin American writers, Isabel Allende. I really love her work.

Also no one has mentioned Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I have only read so far Love in the Time of Cholera, which I immensly enjoyed and plan to read 100 Years of Solitude in the near future which everyone rates as better.

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 22:57
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya
Lili, also check out one of the most famous Latin American writers, Isabel Allende. I really love her work.

Also no one has mentioned Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I have only read so far Love in the Time of Cholera, which I immensly enjoyed and plan to read 100 Years of Solitude in the near future which everyone rates as better.
I know Allende, Natalya and i love her books.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 23:05
Legend

Cool, JC only mentioned you knowing Coelho

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 23:09 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I knew that she already knew Isabel Allende, but I am a Crusader anti-Coelho

Fangio mentioned Garcia Marquez, although he called him by the nick name Gabo, it is his big problem, communication

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 02:54
Legend

Ok, here I am the dude that hates labels, going to make some differences:

Natalya, let's compare with music, the ones that has more exposure outside the UK, are may be Robbie Williams, and were the Spice Girls, and even you can add Oasis. And will take a deeper search (not that much anyway thanks whatever, as it will be need to find a Bolaños, even Vargas Llosa book) to know Radiohead, much more King Crimson, or in Germany Can.
That is precisly the gap between the Cohelos, Allendes (even thought might be substancials dif between the lady and the brazie, still both very mainstreem in a bad sense) from Bolaños, Bioy Casares, etc...in the middle we can find Gabo (Garcia Marquez, Talya, JC is soo write about me heheh) which is very good and very popular or even a Borges (strange case of ultra popular but in so called intellectual circles, the sort of knowing the name, never read many times).

What I'm trying to say? that every book is valuable, if we enjoy it, if we find something that we like, that makes us anger, basicly that produces a reaction, any sort, I really think there is not such thing as bad reading. But yes exist a bad thing call excesive marketing for some authors.

Under that overhelming shadow, rest many of the writers JC and myself brought here, that is the reason both avoided Allende or Cohelo, there is so much deeper stuff in our opinion in the mentioned than in these two, that there relies the search we would like you to do.

Brazilian music is more in debt of Villalobos, Joao Gilberto, etc..etc..than of Daniela Mercury, even thought both can be equally enjoy, is just that usually in Europe and the USA, and Asia, you are constantly buying the blockbusters and not the products (after all; all of them are products) which make us more proud.

Is different as I've tried to say, viceversa: we have better chances of getting your finest books, while in every country are constantly sell stereotypes, latino=hot=Ricky Martin=musica lationamericana, or worse world music, a big bag with hundreds of nationalities, in yours the stereotype is even worse.
Is a complex situation, and if you don't see any Allende from Chile, or Bucay from argentina, or Cohelo from Brazil brought by JC or me (sorry I'm talking in your name pal), is just because we want you to know what we like more, what we feel proud of, nothing wrong in reading the most popular or commercial products, but those already you knew them, trust us (well not that much in me, in fact trust JC) you had been invited to a much wider, and rich world..I hope you enjoy it! and that you don't misunderstood what I've tried to say, and more than probably fall in my usuall bad communication karma.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 03:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
From Eduardo Galeano, an Uruguayan writer:

"Fútbol a sol y sombra":

El gol

El gol es el orgasmo del fútbol. Como el orgasmo, el gol es cada vez menos frecuente en la vida moderna.

Hace medio siglo, era raro que un partido terminara sin goles: 0 a 0, dos bocas abiertas, dos bostezos. Ahora, los once jugadores se pasan todo el partido colgados del travesaño, dedicados a evitar los goles y sin tiempo para hacerlos.

El entusiasmo que se desata cada vez que la bala blanca sacude la red puede parecer misterio o locura, pero hay que tener en cuenta que el milagro se da poco. El gol, aunque sea un golecito, resulta siempre gooooooooooooooooooooooool en la garganta de los relatores de radio, un do de pecho capaz de dejar a Caruso mudo para siempre, y la multitud delira y el estadio se olvida de que es de cemento y se desprende de la tierra y se va al aire.

Last edited by GICA; September 25th, 2005 at 03:28.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 12:04
Legend

I understand what you are saying Fangio, I was just offering suggestions for Lili to check out (obviously she already knew Allende, which most people do, but Mr Crusading Anti-Coelho missed out the fact that Lili knew others p) and of course my suggestions are the mainstream mainly because these are the authors we hear of here and see in our bookshops and cannot be compared to the in depth and infinitely more interesting list put together by yourself.

So with the music anology, I was definitely more Ricky Martin in my list

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 16:59
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Galeano and his Fútbol a sol y sombra is not merely a book about sports. In fact if you read it as a novel it makes perfect sense. Why? Because South America IS one of the world's largest and the heaviest novel. The volume's English version is available under the title "Soccer in Sun and Shadow."

Oh and yes, Lorca!

Ditty of First Desire

In the green morning
I wanted to be a heart.
A heart.

And in the ripe evening
I wanted to be a nightingale.
A nightingale.

(Soul,
turn orange-colored.
Soul,
turn the color of love.)

In the vivid morning
I wanted to be myself.
A heart.

And at the evening's end
I wanted to be my voice.
A nightingale.

Soul,
turn orange-colored.
Soul,
turn the color of love.

See, we have a peaceful little cove here in the Bookstore.

That is why its solace must be preserved.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 17:45
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
What I'm trying to say? that every book is valuable, if we enjoy it, if we find something that we like, that makes us anger, basicly that produces a reaction, any sort, I really think there is not such thing as bad reading. But yes exist a bad thing call excesive marketing for some authors.
I understand what you mean, Fangio. Every book is valuable, still some do have a deeper impact on us whilst others are more to entertain.

Quote:
Under that overhelming shadow, rest many of the writers JC and myself brought here, that is the reason both avoided Allende or Cohelo, there is so much deeper stuff in our opinion in the mentioned than in these two, that there relies the search we would like you to do.
Yet there's a lot of beauty in the simplicity of Coelho and i would say he's too plain just on the surface. It depends on the reader and things one identifies with. I'm a person enjoying simple things in life, i can sit for hours on a beach and watch the sea and although i saw it for 1.000 times already, I'm still amazed by it's power. It always makes me think, who I am and where I'm going. Same questions came up reading Coelho's Alchemist. We are chasing butterflies for almost all our lifes, running after fortune and power and forgetting many times what really counts.
See, here's the lesson from the Alchemist: luck is always inside of us, we just don't see it all the time.

Quote:
Brazilian music is more in debt of Villalobos, Joao Gilberto, etc..etc..than of Daniela Mercury, even thought both can be equally enjoy, is just that usually in Europe and the USA, and Asia, you are constantly buying the blockbusters and not the products (after all; all of them are products) which make us more proud.
Music, similar to books, depends a lot also on our mood. Not every music suits a certain moment. When i'm stressed and tired I tend to listen to rock and pop and hey, Ricky Martin rulezzz! Of course it can't be compared to Ravel's Bolero or to other classics, but there's nothing wrong with it. In the last years I enjoy listening to any sort of folk rock and pop, no matter if it's from the Orient or Marcela Morelo from Chile.

Quote:
Is different as I've tried to say, viceversa: we have better chances of getting your finest books, while in every country are constantly sell stereotypes, latino=hot=Ricky Martin=musica lationamericana, or worse world music, a big bag with hundreds of nationalities, in yours the stereotype is even worse.
See, that's the problem in small countries like Slovenia. Authors with a certain dept are usually read by a tight circle of people. In a 2 million people country nobody will bother to translate a book to sell 1.000 exemplares of it. So they translate and print bestsellers and a lot of quality stays without our reach.

Quote:
Is a complex situation, and if you don't see any Allende from Chile, or Bucay from argentina, or Cohelo from Brazil brought by JC or me (sorry I'm talking in your name pal), is just because we want you to know what we like more, what we feel proud of, nothing wrong in reading the most popular or commercial products, but those already you knew them, trust us (well not that much in me, in fact trust JC) you had been invited to a much wider, and rich world..I hope you enjoy it! and that you don't misunderstood what I've tried to say, and more than probably fall in my usuall bad communication karma.
There's nothing wrong with your communication, loco. I understand you perfectly well and thanks again for taking your time to enlighten me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in