The structure of a novel - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 14:43 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: lierse, rode duivels
The structure of a novel

For my thesis I have to discuss a Dutch novel. The structure is built up in 12 chapters. I have been thinking about why this could be. My first thought was that it refers to the hours of a day or the months in a year or maybe even to the fact that the romans didn't count in decimals.

After reading a review of another book of this guy I started thinking that he's referring to a structure that has been used before in history. The problem is that this book I'm discussing hasn't been discussed yet and I wouldn't know where the structure comes from.

If you can think of anything (from the romans/Greeks, musical pieces, verse rhythm,...) this could be connected with it would be greatly appreciated.

Help me, Jeebus!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 15:00
gOD
Legend

12 works of Hercules

but as I said I like 'Tussen mes en keel' a lot, but I doubt the amount of chapters refers to something. i'm pretty sure 12 was the number of chapters he need to tell his story.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2005, 15:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: lierse, rode duivels
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
12 works of Hercules

but as I said I like 'Tussen mes en keel' a lot, but I doubt the amount of chapters refers to something. i'm pretty sure 12 was the number of chapters he need to tell his story.
I thought about it too, but I guess it's quite unlikely as he said once in an interview he never does something without purpose. The example he gave in that interview was about structure.

I also found some links with Malcolm Lowry's 'Under the volcano' which make sense.

Help me, Jeebus!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in