Anyone brave enough to admit they've ordered the Harry Potter Book? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2005, 01:58 Thread Starter
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
Anyone brave enough to admit they've ordered the Harry Potter Book?

I haven't, but they're good fun so I'll be buying it at some stage depending on how many are still around after the first, frantic rush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2005, 11:52
World Class Player

Teams: Ajax & Barcelona
I never read a Harry Potter book

But seriously, you like them?
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2005, 02:26 Thread Starter
International
World Class Player

yeah, definitely, they're a good laugh, specially at work when I don't want anything too demanding.

so no one on here is going to admit they're going to at least buy one?

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 09:08
Xtratime Legend

I bought one ...

... for my sister, because she was at dancing.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 13:14
Rising Star

I'll buy it one of the forthcoming weeks probably
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 20:12
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Azeri-Turk soccer
I've never read a word from Harry Potter books. I might be prejudiced, but I don't think that it's worth reading.
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 22:58
Legend

I bought my copy yesterday and read it in less than 24 hours. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a big Harry Potter fan

Anyone else here read it yet? I want to discuss the contents!

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 00:38
International

I have, it took me a little longer than 24 hrs as it had been a while since I read a book.

Good story though wasn't it? The discovery at the beginning was nice.
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 01:10 Thread Starter
International
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya
I bought my copy yesterday and read it in less than 24 hours. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a big Harry Potter fan

Anyone else here read it yet? I want to discuss the contents!
yes, I read it within 24 as well. Happy to discuss :thmbup:
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 16:24
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
I'll buy it for my almost 10 years old daughter. She read the other 5 for three times at least.
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 04:20
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Elliot
yes, I read it within 24 as well. Happy to discuss :thmbup:
Same here!

I was crushed at the end of it; I'll say right now that

Spoiler:
SNAPE IS A JUDAS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 13:32
Rising Star

My copy still hasn't arrived. And some stupid bitch wrote an article about it on the newspaper so I aldready know who dies and who kills him.
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 13:39
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Crvena zvezda, Srbija
Yeh I've read it, I'm a big fan although I'm 18 and actually most people that I know read them as well, it might have something to do with the books being released as we got older and were around the same age etc.

Phoenix I don't think it's quite right what you're saying, I've got some of my own thinking on it. If you want to discuss I'll PM you.

Године пролазе моје,
ја чекам титуле твоје,
и сваким даном све више
волим те!
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 13:57
Legend

Phoenix, I agree too but something doesn't sit right about that event.

Spoiler:
Do you reckon he was under the imperius curse, or it was someone impersonating him through Polyjuice. I've never liked him but I don't want all Dumbledore's trust in him to have been wasted.

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 18:15
On Planet Z
International

Quote:
Spoiler:
Do you reckon he was under the imperius curse, or it was someone impersonating him through Polyjuice. I've never liked him but I don't want all Dumbledore's trust in him to have been wasted.
Spoiler:
I think, actually, his hands were tied. Remember the second chapter when he was visited by Draco's mother and she made him vow that if Draco couldn't finish the task Voldemort had given him, that he, Snape, would carry it out? He had a promise to keep; something I think he likely would rather not have done, but in order to keep up the appearance that he was loyal to Voldemort in front of Narcissa and Bellatrix, he had to do it--this brings up a lot of questions on its own merit: Why would Snape, an opportunist, do something that would make him a traitor to the Order of the Phoenix and persona non gratia with the Death Eaters at the same time? Voldemort is not forgiving; if someone fails him, as both Lucius and Draco Malfoy did, then they're at You-Know-Who's mercy; as is anyone who gives that person quarter.

So, I think Snape had no other recourse, but by killing Dumbledore, he alienated himself from everything that could have given him purpose.

Quote:
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 20:27
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Spoiler:
I think, actually, his hands were tied. Remember the second chapter when he was visited by Draco's mother and she made him vow that if Draco couldn't finish the task Voldemort had given him, that he, Snape, would carry it out? He had a promise to keep; something I think he likely would rather not have done, but in order to keep up the appearance that he was loyal to Voldemort in front of Narcissa and Bellatrix, he had to do it--this brings up a lot of questions on its own merit: Why would Snape, an opportunist, do something that would make him a traitor to the Order of the Phoenix and persona non gratia with the Death Eaters at the same time? Voldemort is not forgiving; if someone fails him, as both Lucius and Draco Malfoy did, then they're at You-Know-Who's mercy; as is anyone who gives that person quarter.

So, I think Snape had no other recourse, but by killing Dumbledore, he alienated himself from everything that could have given him purpose.
Spoiler:
but that doesn't explain why Snape had a look of revulsion on his face when he killed Dumbledore - or why he said what he did to Harry. Yes I agree his hands were tied, but he was a bloody good actor in killing Dumbledore. He certainly seemed to enjoy it immensely and that to me is not the action of someone who is acting with their hands tied. The whole Half Blood Prince thing fits in with a supporter of Voldemort too and he got real pleasure in rubbing this in Harry's face too. There are a lot of questions around this development as Snape has protected Harry in the past but personally I think he will turn out to be a whole hearted Death Eater who was biding his time. I don't think there is a way back for his character now.

Out beyond ideas
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 20:39
On Planet Z
International

Quote:
Spoiler:
I don't think there is a way back for his character now.
Spoiler:
Perhaps not...but isn't it interesting, though--the three major catalysts for change in the series have been half-blood. Voldemort, Harry, and now Snape--Voldemort wants control of the wizarding community and has created havoc; Harry nearly destroyed Voldemort and is the only one with the chance to defeat him once and for all; Snape killed Harry's last great protector and because of this, the Death Eaters have a nearly insurmountable advantage and Harry now has to face finding the four (three?) remaining Horcruxes and defeating Voldemort on his own. Interesting, eh?

Quote:
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 20:46
On Planet Z
International

Spoiler:
Uh, maybe we should stop with the spoilers.

Quote:
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 21:26 Thread Starter
International
World Class Player

Just found out how to read the spoilers, but how does one make them?

Last edited by Fred Elliot; July 19th, 2005 at 21:33.
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 21:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Crvena zvezda, Srbija
Spoiler:
I think that Dumbledore knew he was dying and throughout the book he was preparing Harry for his quest to destroy Voldermort. Dumbledore knew that he had to die for Harry to be able to have the motivation or ability to kill Voldermort. Snape who has apparently betrayed Dumbledore and the Order IMO is still doing Dumbledore's work. When the unbreakable vow is being placed on him, he twitches, doesn't seem significant but shows that he is nervous. Then there is the argument between him and Dumbledore, Snape trying to back out of something but Hagrid doesn't hear all of it. Why does Dumbledore freeze Harry? Dumbledore has said before to not fear death, yet he pleads with Snape, Why? Because he's pleading for him not to go back on his word and kill him as instructed by Dumbledore. Also Snape does not injure anyone not even Harry. He blocks his curses, tries to keep Harry from doing an unforgivable curse, even advises him to keep his mind and mouth shut referring to occlumency and silent spells. Then when one of the death eaters attacks Harry, he stops them. Finally when Harry calls Snape a coward for killing Dumbledore, why does he get angry? Because he didn't want to do it and the hate and repulsion on his face when killing Dumbledore could be the way he feels about himself, jsut how harry is described when feeding Dumbledore the potion in that cave.

Well that's what I think anyway.

Године пролазе моје,
ја чекам титуле твоје,
и сваким даном све више
волим те!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in