The books you never ended - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2005, 12:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

The books you never ended

This is a thread about those cursed books that, by any reason, won you; that you never ended them.

The War of the Worlds. I was too young when I started reading it, the book bored me. Maybe someday I'll retake it.

Viaje a la India (by Ramiro Calle). A great travel book written by a true expert in indian culture. However, I appear to be always too busy to read it.

I'll be posting more, the way I'll remember more lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 23:11
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
From recent time...Ian McEwen's Amsterdam comes to mind. I had read two brilliant books by him (Cement Garden and Atonement) so I had big hopes. But the first 20-30 pages were so plain and boring that I had no desire to continue.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 16:19
gOD
Legend

Hugo Claus: Belladonna

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 16:23
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
i don't remember such a book. I remember I had troubles to come through the first 30 pages of Umberto Eco's "The name of the rose" and i was close to put it away. Good, i didn't, turned out to be a great and interesting one.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 13:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Well done lili!

I'm playing these days the 1987 videogame based in it, but it's hell hard!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 13:47
aca
International

Teams: Lazio
100 years of soltititude...... :embarass:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 13:52
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca
100 years of soltititude...... :embarass:
Is this a book or....a lifestyle?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 13:58
aca
International

Teams: Lazio
this is supposed to be a simple thread. Answering a question like that is anything but simple

....or is it?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 14:10
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
La Queste del Sant Graal. I had to read it for a Medieval Literature class, and my God, it's dull, dull, dull...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 14:39
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Too many to list. When I go to a bookshop I buy any book that looks reasonably interesting, which means I pick up quite a few duds.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 20:38
World Class Player

Oliver Twist. Couldn't get interested in it. I read David Copperfield and Martin Chuzzlewit easily enough though.

Stupid White Men as well. Too much of Michael Moore gets very annoying.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2005, 10:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Ah, another one! Anthony Beevor's "Berlín 1945: The Fall".

Great book, great documentation, great everything, but too extended! It is supposed to be a book about the fall of Berlin, but more than a half of the book consists on how ran the war since Stalingrado. Pretty cool, but 600 pages is too much.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 15:07
Rising Star

actually quite a lot of books i've bought over the years i never finished reading, but a standout author for me is Anne Rice.... I've bought Witching Hour, Taltos, Interview With A Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen Of The Damned, and i've never finished ANY of them... I try REAL hard to like Anne Rice's books, but always when i get halfway through, i get disinterested in continuing reading on, coz one simple fact remains of her books... Nothing actually happens in her stories!!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 17:59
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa la saca
Ah, another one! Anthony Beevor's "Berlín 1945: The Fall".

Great book, great documentation, great everything, but too extended! It is supposed to be a book about the fall of Berlin, but more than a half of the book consists on how ran the war since Stalingrado. Pretty cool, but 600 pages is too much.
Yeah, I agree on this one. I tried reading it normally and just lost interest at the time when the the Russians were about to storm the hills to the east of Berlin (sorry forgot the name). It's also a hard book to read since it's such a miserable story with Germans executing prisoners as they withdrew and the Russians raping the German women as they arrive. You feel kind of relieved when the books over.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 09:00
Legend

Too many to list...even by authors I really like. Like "Almayer's Folly" by Joseph Conrad. Or "The Green Hills of Africa" by Hemingway, and I adore him...too much safari...
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 11:33 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I recently took a compilation of Isaac Asimov's short tales. I've read over a half of the book; but past week somebody gave me a gift. A book of Sudokus...
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 12:05
Rising Star

i coud never seem to finish 'tulku' by peter dickinson

or...'The plague' by albert camus...even through i adore the book something always comes up which means i end up not finishing it

Lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he's gonna wanna see a ****ing cross, man?
Bill Hicks

HOT GIRLS IN CHARLTON FORUM!!

Abuse other teams in the charlton forum - no holds barred
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 22:29
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Dostoievski´s The eternal husband is the last one.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 23:07
International

Teams: Juventus & Real Madrid
Some book by Robert Ludlum. So boring I can't even remember the title.

藤木直人

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE!!!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2005, 02:59
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Its usually a heavy and too serious that that are the easiest to not finish and find boring(even if you find them to be great).

But for me,I must say for now that it is the Da Vinci Code.Its somewhat exciting and interesting with its small history lessons.But Somehow,I cant care for it and finish it (Maybe because Dan Brown writes so boring and awful?).I have finished reading 6 books sence I started reading it(and funnily enough,3 of those books are heavy books that you can easily find to be boring on some parts,but I still read through them more vigorously then a supposedly intertainment kind of book that is Da Vinci Code)..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in