Holiday reading - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2005, 14:19 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Holiday reading

The summer has started and for many people this is the perfect occasion to catch up with that pile of books that has been building up during the rest of the year. Which books will you be reading this summer, or which books do you recommand others to read during their hollidays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2005, 16:34
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
If you are going to a beach, bring some crap like Jackie Collins or my friend Danielle Steel (seriously, she's a horrible writer but a very nice lady), since you shouldn't let all that sun and surf go to waste by thinking.

I'm going to take one of the volumes of Neil Stephenson's Baroque Triology with me for the long airplane trip, since I have heard it is the type of work I'll like (digressive and full of a lot of history geekery) but not one I'll love so much I won't mind if I left it on a train bench somewhere. The only possible drawback: 1000 pages or more could lead to another shoulder injury coupled with not having a fulltime personal porter or anything like that.

You could do worse than reading God's Fifth Column by William Gerhardie. It's great and you can just start reading it any point in the narrative, since it is episodic.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 10:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
I'm at least thinking of reading Joe Speedboot. For the rest I'm still arranging my list of books.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 18:06
Premier Player

I don't really know, I guess I'll catch up with the history books that are quite a lot in my lib. May be try to search for some good classics I've missed as well.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 23:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I went for Joe Speedboot, Komt een vrouw bij de dokter, De Vreemdeling (Camus) and Het Proces (Kafka). So two classics and 2 (quite) new Dutch books.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 23:16 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

I don't know 'Komt een vrouw bij de dokter'. Tell me what you think about Joe Speedboot, it's a book I thought about reading, but hesistated (went for something else) for some reason.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 23:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Next month my friend. I've to read them first.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 14:54
World Class Player

Teams: Ajax & Barcelona
I read The Sicilian by Mario Puzo and The Claim by John Grisham while I was on holiday in Spain. I liked both books a lot, both books forced me to keep on reading till it was finished. I'm just finished another book by John Grisham, I believe the English title is 'Skipping Christmas', I haven't read such a piece of crap for a long time... I should have read the cover more carefully

I started on 'The Last Don' by Mario Puzo last night, I've only read the prologue so I can't say much about it.

Next book on the list: Omerta by Mario Puzo
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 15:01
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
The last book I read was Dostoyevsky's "Crime and punishment". I'm sorta open to ideas at the moment, nothing on the horizon.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 16:57
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Buy this one, you'll love it. : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

It's entertaining, informative and light reading. Perfect for vacation.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 19:54 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

I got myself "Saturday" by Ian McEwan and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Saffron Foer. So along with "The John Henry Days" (Colson Whitehead) that will be my reading in the summer
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 22:54
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
I have a month and half of holyday(even though it's winter here) and I plan reading many books, but the "big vacation book" will probably be War and Peace by Tolstoi.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2005, 15:29
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
"The John Henry Days" (Colson Whitehead) that will be my reading in the summer
was good, I thought

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2005, 16:01
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert
I read The Sicilian by Mario Puzo and The Claim by John Grisham while I was on holiday in Spain. I liked both books a lot, both books forced me to keep on reading till it was finished. I'm just finished another book by John Grisham, I believe the English title is 'Skipping Christmas', I haven't read such a piece of crap for a long time... I should have read the cover more carefully

I started on 'The Last Don' by Mario Puzo last night, I've only read the prologue so I can't say much about it.

Next book on the list: Omerta by Mario Puzo
Hehe funny I love the Sicilian(reading it right now),such a good book.And I read Omerta and The last Don before The Sicilian.Which is the best one of Mario Puzo's books IMO.

I got a weird (new)habit of that If I read one book of a writer and really like it or love it,then I must read several of his other books.Recently read all of Nick Hornby's books(he hasnt written many).One book left til I finish Mario Puzo's books,.Read two of Doughlas Adams books (Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy - my favourite book,and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency).Reading Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray,anyone can recommend other Oscar Wilde books?

Before someone thinks I'm a freak I dont read much throughout the year,just sometimes in the winter and everytime I have nothing else to do in the summer,in other words,a typical Holiday reader(and wen taking any sorts of collective transportations).I think I'll wait til next summer before I start with Tolstoy's stuff Next authort I'm going through is Chuck Palahniuk (the author of fight club,already read two of his books).

Instead of asking of a book,any author you recommend?

P.S I thought it was obvious for everyone,but John Grisham is really a crap author I should know,read most his crap wen I was young.

Last edited by Osman; July 14th, 2005 at 16:27.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2005, 11:51
World Class Player

Teams: Ajax & Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman
Hehe funny I love the Sicilian(reading it right now),such a good book.And I read Omerta and The last Don before The Sicilian.Which is the best one of Mario Puzo's books IMO.
I'm not really getting into the story with 'The Last Don', I haven't read that much but I'm not getting 'sucked' into the story like with 'The Sicilian'. I hope it will happen later on

You did read 'The Godfather', right? Really a great book, partly because of the movies

Quote:
P.S I thought it was obvious for everyone,but John Grisham is really a crap author I should know,read most his crap wen I was young.
I really liked 'The Claim', I haven't read any other of his stuff (apart from the dreadful 'Skipping Christmas' )
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2005, 11:53
International

Teams: Juventus & Real Madrid
Quote:
A Time to Kill was pretty engaging.

藤木直人

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE!!!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2005, 17:18
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert
You did read 'The Godfather', right? Really a great book, partly because of the movies
Great book. Even better than the movie, which I absolutely love. The best part of the book is the fact that they go deeper into several characters such as Johnny Fontane. Really a must read for fans of the movie.

Personally I wanted to read a lot this holiday, but since I work 40 hours this vacation, I'm often too tired in the evening to read. I started on Seymour Hersh's "Chain of Command - The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib".

As the subtitles suggests, it describes everything that has happened in American (foreign) politics over the last years; Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib scandal, the failure of the intelligence services with 9/11, the Iraq war. Really intriguing, but I'm only at page 40.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2005, 16:30
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
Bought Michael Owen's Autobiography - Off the record and Dan Browns Digital Fortress during my hollidays in England, so I'll go with them this summer.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 13:09
Rising Star

I think I'll read this summer more books in the way of the past year; when I get bored I'll read Clive Cussler's, but I'll get Nicholas Wilcox's when I get more deeply bored!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 01:28
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
I believe that a gentleman like Geert should always carry a volume by William Faulkner ... until I discovered, in the sweltering pavement of the great New York City heat wave today, Sam Apple!

Read all about Sam Appel's The Administration and the Fury, Mr. G, you won't regret it.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in