Animal Stories - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 23:33 Thread Starter
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Animal Stories

I am a sucker for a lot of things (jewelry, orchids, slapstick comedy, accents), but probably the biggest is anything having to do with animals. Especially books and movies on the subject of animals. My favorites are the horse stories of Marguerite Henry ("Misty", "Stormy" etc.), the dog stories of Jim Kierkegaard (much jollier than the other Mr. K), any "biography" of famous racehorses and, of course the high quartet of animal books: The Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, Greyfriars Bobbie and the Dog of Flanders. I can't even get into the literary merit of these things, because it doesn't matter. Most of the movies (especially Weep No More My Lady and The Black Stallion), I can't even watch with other people because I get all weepy. Don't even get me started on Old Yeller.
Anyone else as sad a loser as me? Do you have a favorite animal story?

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2005, 02:45
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
I like Jack London's stuff. Haven't read much more than that on the matter, but for sure The call of the wild is a spectacular book, there's aslo another one called, I read it in french, Croc Blanc

And let us not forget the great Rudyard Kipling, or whatever he's called.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2005, 03:29
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
I guess it's not 100% animal story [or is it?] but this is one of my favourite passage almost a self-portrait, I think -

"Will you walk a little faster?"
said a whiting to a snail.
"There's a porpoise close behind us,
and he's treading on my tail.

(Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland /The Lobster Quadrille)

I used to be read to sleep by my grandmother every summer. She had two vintage volumes of Old Yeller, one in English, the other in Chinese. Heather, if you have the time, do talk about Old Yeller ...

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2005, 20:58
Premier Player

Felidae by Akif Pirincci.

A great whodunit from a tomcat's point of view.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 11:53
IVO
International
World Class Player

You could read the "Life of Pi."

It involves animals. A kid named Pi Patel is on a ship headed to Winnipeg (I believe) and there's a bunch of zoo animals being shipped as well. The zoo animals come from Pi's parents zoo which was closed down so they were selling them and moving to Winnipeg. The ship goes down and Pi ends up stranded on a lifeboat while the rest of his family dies. On the lifeboat are some of the animals including some dangerous ones like a Royal Bengal Tiger :eekani: and a hyena :eekani:

It's not really about animals but it's about their interactions with Pi. I guaran-damn-tee you'll love the book
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 16:58 Thread Starter
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
I've been meaning to read that, Ivo.
I've never been able to actually read Old Yeller, Bonita (and I am on deadline for a few things) , because of what a sad reaction I had to the movie. I saw it on The Wondeful World of Disney--In Color (!) way back when, and when the buzzards show up...apparently I had an episode and was sick for a week. I still hate the kind of children's entertainment that posits that we can all learn to be better adults by having someone or something die tragically when we are young.
Oh, I just remembered RikiTikiTavi that tough little mongoose! And the cartoon with the songs by the legendary Donovan...

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in