Dan Brown - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2005, 21:19 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Barcelona!!!
Dan Brown

I just wanted to see, the number of people who have read his books, I know he is very controversial....So share your thoughts, hopefully in a dignified manner... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2005, 16:18
The Dude
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal FC
I've read The Da Vinci Code by him (who hasn't by now? ) and there are some things you notice pretty fast:

*The so called "facts" are in many times false and nothing other than lies, but who cares as he makes it interesting? And it's fiction for crying out loud (how many books, articles and tv-documentaries have been made by now about "Dan Brown lies"? Get so sick and tired of it. Nobody tried to find hobbits when JRR Tolkien got Lord Of The Rings published, and it should be the same with Dan Browns books. Read them, enjoy them for what it is, and if you get interested in the myths go and read a "real" book about them.

*His books are pretty poorly written. He lives on the intense action that he manage to create very well, but compared to other famous books his use of the written language isn't the best. He's not a poet to say atleast, just an action writer with interesting myths which he makes even more interested by "developing"("lie about" if you like) them to better fit into the story.

That was probably it and I don't think he's that controversial, not if you see him as you should, as a fiction writer. Because that's what he is, whatever he says.

"One time a guy handed me a picture of himself and he said. "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is of when you were younger. Here's a picture of me when I'm older. How'd you pull that off? Let me see that camera."
Mitch Hedberg 1968-2005
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 09:31
IVO
International
World Class Player

I think your last line is the problem in many peoples view. They get upset at his fabrications because he tries to pass them off as the truth whereas Tolkien obviously does not.

Having said that, I read the Da Vinci Code and I heard that Angels and Demons is a carbon copy of that book, just changed some words basically.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2005, 02:57
World Class Player

I've read 4 of his books but not sure if that is his lot. I'm not that impressed by his writing. The one I read about the encryption code was decent but the one about the metoer under the ice was garbage. I did like Angels and Demons, much better in my opinion than Da Vinci Code.

In my honest opinion his books are written with Hollywood in mind. I got that feeling reading the Da Vinci Code especially- most of it was too over the top.

"No doubt I shall go on writing, stumbling across tundras of unmeaning, planting words like bloody flags in my wake."- Trocchi
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2005, 03:05
Star Player

ive read both his books , dont understand why you all act like "purists" and say "it is not a good book, it is all bull"

Last edited by Randall Flagg; June 12th, 2005 at 14:27.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2005, 16:17
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid
ive read both his books , dont understand why you all act like "purists" and say "it is not a good book, it is all bull"
I don't think his book are bull. They are decent books but not anything special. The ideas is anything are good. I don't, personally, like the way he puts it together. It's pure Hollywood in a book.

Take the Da Vinci code for example. Without posting spoilers the whole helicopter incident for me was a joke.

"No doubt I shall go on writing, stumbling across tundras of unmeaning, planting words like bloody flags in my wake."- Trocchi
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2005, 04:21
Premier Player

I've read both Angels and Demos and The Da Vinci Code.

To start off, it's horrible writing. Secondly, the books are all bullshit, and how he tries to pass it off as true is just irritating. He lies blatantly in some parts of his books about things that would not add or take away anything from the story, and it sometimes makes you wonder what the **** was he thinking. And like someone said, it's Hollywood in paperback format.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2005, 07:43
World Class Player

I read the Da Vinci Code and even though my knowledge of the Christian faith is limited, I realised that most of what he claims to be facts is nothing but lies. If those were facts, no sane person wouldn't have waited this long to release all this information in a fiction book. In other words, he lied about it.

This is why I never read (and will probably never read) his other books.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2005, 22:05
Star Player

Teams: Colo Colo, Lazio, Chelsea, Besiktas
I read Angel and Demonds and is not more than a thriller .... and when i was reading i was thinking in how should be a good hollywood movie.
I dont think that Dan Brown did an investigative story ... is just a novel and of course if u want to find the origin of the Opus Dei or which presidents are Illuminatti .... of course u will be disapointed ... but if u want to have fun ... u will.
I like Angel nd Demonds very much , i recomend to those who want have fun ....

Colo Colo es lo más grande!!!

Alija, you will be for ever in our heart

http://laziofever.bigforumpro.com/index.htm
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2005, 10:08
Premier Player
International

Teams: Liverpool & England
Ya I guess Cacique's point is exactly mine..

Most of the facts are very debatable and I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them were not facts.. his writing is as most of u have said kind of aiming for Hollywood.. in that sense he has succeeded as they are working on a Da Vinci Code movie as we speak (Tom Hanks has been chosen as Dr. Langton)

I found Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code very interested and fun.. nothing less.. nothing more.. I think it's been over exaggerated as a faith breaker and stuff like that.. as faith is not something that should be shaken by a fiction book..

Wasn't impressed by his 3rd book (forgot the name!) and haven't read Digital Fortress yet..

Best Regards,

Yasir
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2005, 10:13
Rising Star

Digital fortress is reasonably good, but if you notice all the books have strories which shape in similar format and you can guess what happens next..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2005, 14:56
Star Player

I had just read Angel and Demonds .... i guess i will read Code da Vinci now ... i just finished the one i read after Angels and ....

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2005, 15:22
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasir
Wasn't impressed by his 3rd book (forgot the name!)
I musn't have been very good then.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2005, 00:12
Star Player

What is the name of third book???? I ask but is not in Chile yet... :sweeteye:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2005, 02:35
World Class Player

I've read 4 of his books- not my option I got them bought for me.

Digital Fortress- Not too bad. Alot of it centres around encryption/decryption so interesting from that point of view. To be honest I'd rather read an actual book on the subject as the story is lame.
Deception Point- Bollocks. Very poor novel indeed from every standpoint. From the opening paragraph you see he is writing for hollywood with a view to emulating Tom Clancy's Harrison Ford character.
Angles and Demons- I actually enjoyed this to a point. Good ideas but crap structure to the plot. Predictible until it goes way over the top. The hero of the story is almost dead, in hospital and then disacharging himself in an instance to go through a similar routine again. Written on a big silver plasma page.
Da Vinci Code- Rip-off, not ever a good story, based on untruth and just all round unenjoyable. If the guy has any sense he'll knock out his next novel quickly to make as much money before being found out. At some point the people who have been told and believe, by being told, his books are good will be told the opposite then not buy them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in