Hunter Thomson - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 14:15 Thread Starter
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Hunter Thomson

Hunter S Thomson, the author of such classics as fear and loathing in Las Vegas, has commited suicide.

He'll be sorely missed.

RIP Raul Duke

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 16:30
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona

Hunter S. Thompson [undated photo]

:frownani:

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 18:45
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
He was a cool guy: drug abuser, gun freak and one of the few writers in America who hated "political correctness" and wrote whatever he liked (and most of it was what he had experienced himself). I've read Fear & Loathing, which was quite a magnificent trip (also the Terry Gilliam's movie based on it is great). He certainly refused to take the world and his own life too seriously and I quess he felt the same way about his death. So there is no reason to grieve.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 18:47
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
DENVER - Hunter S. Thompson, the hard-living writer who inserted himself into his accounts of America’s underbelly and popularized a first-person form of journalism in books such as “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” has committed suicide.

Thompson was found dead Sunday in his Aspen-area home of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, sheriff’s officials said. He was 67. Thompson’s wife, Anita, had gone out before the shooting and was not home at the time. His son, Juan, found the body.

Thompson “took his life with a gunshot to the head,” the wife and son said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News. The statement asked for privacy for Thompson’s family and, using the Latin term for Earth, added, “He stomped terra.”

Neither the family statement nor Pitkin County sheriff’s officials said whether Thompson left a note. The sheriff and the county coroner did not immediately return telephone messages Monday.

Besides the 1972 classic about Thompson’s visit to Las Vegas, he also wrote “Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72.” The central character in those wild, sprawling satires was “Dr. Thompson,” a snarling, drug- and alcohol-crazed observer and participant.

The rise of ‘gonzo journalism’
Thompson is credited alongside Tom Wolfe and Gay Talese with helping pioneer New Journalism — or, as he dubbed his version, “gonzo journalism” — in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story.

Thompson, whose early writings mostly appeared in Rolling Stone magazine, often portrayed himself as wildly intoxicated as he reported on such figures as Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.

“Fiction is based on reality unless you’re a fairy-tale artist,” Thompson told The Associated Press in 2003. “You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you’re writing about before you alter it.”

Thompson also wrote such collections as “Generation of Swine” and “Songs of the Doomed.” His first ever novel, “The Rum Diary,” written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Thompson was a counterculture icon at the height of the Watergate era, and once said Nixon represented “that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character.”

Thompson also was the model for Garry Trudeau’s balding “Uncle Duke” in the comic strip “Doonesbury.” He was portrayed on screen by Bill Murray in “Where The Buffalo Roam” and Johnny Depp in a film adaptation of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.”

Books by Hunter S. Thompson
— “Hell’s Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga” (1966)
— “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream” (1972)
— “Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72” (1973)
— “The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time” (1979)
— “The Curse of Lono” (illustrated by Ralph Steadman) (1983)
— “Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the ’80s” (1988)
— “Songs of the Doomed: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream” (1990)
— “Silk Road: Thirty-three Years in the Passing Lane” (1990)
— “Better than Sex: Confessions of a Political Junkie (1993)
— “The Proud Highway: The Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967” (1997)
— “The Rum Diary: The Long Lost Novel” (1998)
— “Screwjack and Other Stories” (2000)
— “Fear and Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist, 1968-1976” (2000)
— “The Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century” (2003)
— “Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness (2004)
Source: The Associated Press

‘We were somewhere around Barstow ...’
That book, perhaps Thompson’s most famous, begins: “We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.”

Other books include “The Great Shark Hunt,” “Hell’s Angels” and “The Proud Highway.” His most recent effort was “Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness.”

“He may have died relatively young but he made up for it in quality if not quantity of years,” Paul Krassner, the veteran radical journalist and one of Thompson’s former editors, told The Associated Press by phone from his Southern California home.

“It was hard to say sometimes whether he was being provocative for its own sake or if he was just being drunk and stoned and irresponsible,” quipped Krassner, founder of the leftist publication The Realist and co-founder of the Youth International (YIPPIE) party.

“But every editor that I know, myself included, was willing to accept a certain prima donna journalism in the demands he would make to cover a particular story,” he said. “They were willing to risk all of his irresponsible behavior in order to share his talent with their readers.”

The writer’s compound in Woody Creek, not far from Aspen, was almost as legendary as Thompson. He prized peacocks and weapons; in 2000, he accidentally shot and slightly wounded his assistant trying to chase a bear off his property.

Born July 18, 1937, in Kentucky, Hunter Stocton Thompson served two years in the Air Force, where he was a newspaper sports editor. He later became a proud member of the National Rifle Association and almost was elected sheriff in Aspen in 1970 under the Freak Power Party banner.

Larger-than-life persona
Thompson’s heyday came in the 1970s, when his larger-than-life persona was gobbled up by magazines. His pieces were of legendary length and so was his appetite for adventure and trouble; his purported fights with Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner were rumored in many cases to hinge on expense accounts for stories that didn’t materialize.

It was the content that raised eyebrows and tempers. His book on the 1972 presidential campaign involving, among others, Edmund Muskie, Hubert Humphrey and Nixon was famous for its scathing opinion.

Working for Muskie, Thompson wrote, “was something like being locked in a rolling box car with a vicious 200-pound water rat.” Nixon and his “Barbie doll” family were “America’s answer to the monstrous Mr. Hyde. He speaks for the werewolf in us.”

Humphrey? Of him, Thompson wrote: “There is no way to grasp what a shallow, contemptible and hopelessly dishonest old hack Hubert Humphrey is until you’ve followed him around for a while.”

The approach won him praise among the masses as well as critical acclaim. Writing in The New York Times in 1973, Christopher Lehmann-Haupt worried Thompson might someday “lapse into good taste.”

“That would be a shame, for while he doesn’t see America as Grandma Moses depicted it, or the way they painted it for us in civics class, he does in his own mad way betray a profound democratic concern for the polity,” he wrote. “And in its own mad way, it’s damned refreshing.”

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 18:59
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
He was a wonderfully stylish writer and most of his image was just that..."image." You gotta have a gimmick to get noticed in this world. The best political and socioligical American writer since Thorsten Veblen, read Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail and Generation Of Swine to understand why this is so.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2005, 20:30
The Dude
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal FC
Very sad

He will be sorely missed.

I wonder what effect this will have on "The Rum Diary"?

"One time a guy handed me a picture of himself and he said. "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is of when you were younger. Here's a picture of me when I'm older. How'd you pull that off? Let me see that camera."
Mitch Hedberg 1968-2005
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2005, 23:18
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I remember seeing him speak at my university back in the 80's

RIP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2005, 13:25
gOD
Legend

Rip
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2005, 21:05
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Send off ... Hunter S Thompson's ashes are blasted into the sky above his Colorado home.

AP photo.

King of gonzo blasts off one last time

by Dan Glaister - The Guardian (UK) Saturday August 20, 2005

He lived by the gun and he died by the gun. Now the late writer Hunter S Thompson, who shot himself in February, is to be blasted from a cannon from the back garden of his home in the hills of Aspen, Colorado.
Thompson's ashes have been packed into firework casings and will be dispersed today from 34 different shells fired from a gun barrel mounted on top of a 150-foot high monument.

The monument, in the form of a clenched fist made symmetrical by the addition of a second thumb, is modelled on Thompson's gonzo logo.
"We have never had a request such as this one in our company's history," Marcy Zambelli of Zambelli Fireworks told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "But we respect the request of the family and have actually custom engineered an aerial shell specifically designed to carry out his final wish."

A close friend of Thompson's, Michael Cleverly, said: "They've taken him out and had him pulverised into a consistency that is optimum for the blast, and it'll go straight up. It'll just be taken by the wind and drift around Woody Creek, a place that he loved."

Thompson's widow, 32-year-old Anita Thompson, told the Associated Press that there would be "no crying, no tears, only celebration" at the event, which has been dubbed Hunterpalooza.

"He wanted people to celebrate," she said. "He envisioned it to be a beautiful party. The most amazing people would be there. His friends would celebrate his life. And he was even specific that there would be clinking of ice and whisky."

Thompson, 67, killed himself six months ago with a shot to the head with a pistol. His body was found in a chair by his kitchen table, on which a typewriter had been placed and a page of writing paper had been lined up with the word "counselor" (sic) typed at its centre.

It was a typically enigmatic final word from the inventor of gonzo journalism, the stream-of-consciousness style of writing that was a chief ingredient in the new journalism of the 1960s and 70s.

The age of gonzo officially began with Thompson's account of a drug-fuelled visit to Las Vegas, published in two issues of Rolling Stone, and then released, to great acclaim, as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Much of today's ceremony and the Gonzo monument has been financed by the actor Johnny Depp, a friend of Thompson's who portrayed the writer in the film version of Fear and Loathing.

The actor, it seems, has drawn an idea from his most recent role as Willy Wonka, the chocolate magnate in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for today's ceremony.

In the story, six children who find a ticket inside the wrapper of a Wonka chocolate bar are invited to visit his factory. For the funeral the procedure is remarkably similar.

Brian Harvey of Boise, Idaho, found a secret ticket hidden inside the label on a bottle of the Flying Dog Brewery's Gonzo Imperial Porter.

The ticket grants Mr Harvey and a friend entry to the party, as well as transport and accommodation, according to the company's website.

Gonzo Imperial Porter, with a label designed by another close friend of Thompson's, British artist Ralph Steadman, has a hefty price tag and a worthy cause. Bottles of the beer sell for $95 (£53). Only 1,500 numbered bottles have been made, and proceeds from the sale go to raise money for the Gonzo Memorial Fund. The fund, says the company's website, was "set up initially to raise funds for a permanent memorial to Hunter so future generations can ponder the life of one of the world's great mavericks".

But all is not sweetness and light in Woody Creek, the hamlet Thompson made his home. Some residents are emulating the writer's curmudgeonly ways.

Jimmy Ibbotson, another close friend of Thompson's and a musician with one of the acts performing at tomorrow's ceremony, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, fired a shotgun at a photographer hoping to take a picture of the cannon from his land.

"He was in no danger," Ibbotson told the Aspen Times. "But he won't come back, you can be sure of that. I wasn't aiming at him, I just wanted to scare his ass. I don't want him coming back here during the event. If you want to print the fact that neighbours are shooting at paparazzi, please do. It might save us a little hassle on the day of the event."

Asked if police had been in touch with him about the incident Mr Ibbotson said they had not. "But I don't answer the phone very much," he added.

After the ceremony, Anita Thompson will attend to her role as protector of her late husband's legacy.

"I'll be working for Hunter the rest of my life," she said. "I know that. I made that commitment, and I'm honoured that I can."

Publication is planned of a third volume of the writer's letters, a collection of short stories and an unfinished novel, Polo is My Life. Anita Thompson also plans "a small book of wisdom" based on the late writer's utterances.

"'Never think you're the smartest one in the room. And never think you're the dumbest one in the room.' Little things like that," she said.

-----------

What a way to go. Bye-bye colour lights in the sky :thmbup:

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 05:39
Thought Criminal
Legend

Teams: Croatia
Rip. Great writer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in