Jamaica Kincaid - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2005, 15:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Jamaica Kincaid

Have any of you read anything by Jamaica Kincaid? Any comments on her works?

the most negative and antagonistic author I have ever encountered...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2005, 06:52
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

..I don't now the reason but it sounds like a brand of orange juice..sorry for being disrespectfull, you know me...at least the annoying part..the only part here in Xtratime btw

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2005, 19:21
Star Player

My gloves are off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
it sounds like a brand of orange juice
No, No, No!

She is a fine caribbean-born new york-residing novelist, journalist and short-story writer.

She was born not far from the flimsy wooden shacks found in St. John's, the capital of the beautiful island of Anitgua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luba
Have any of you read anything by Jamaica Kincaid? Any comments on her works?

the most negative and antagonistic author I have ever encountered...
Sure, I've heard of her and read of her, too!

It is nice to read that others have done the same even if they might not share opinions on her and her work.

I have read her début novel 'annie john' and her short-story 'my mother' (am I qualified?).

My gloves are off...

Please explain your comments, luba.

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17
-----------------------------------------------------
El infierno es vacío; todos los diablos están aquí.

Interview met George Boateng :

Wat is uw favoriet boek? De Bijbel
Wat is uw favoriet televisieprogramma? Wanhopige Huisvrouwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Albert) Chinua(lumogu) Achebe
People say there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers; that is wrong [(!)]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2005, 19:38 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
you know me...at least the annoying part..the only part here in Xtratime btw
I wouldn't call it annoying, Fangio

as far as I remember she changed her name to emphasize her origins or something...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2005, 19:45 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtone17
My gloves are off...

Please explain your comments, luba.

I will try to explain.

I find some of her statements disturbing. This one is interesting:

'Antigua is a small place, a small island...It was settled by Christopher Columbus in 1493. Not too long after, it was settled by human rubbish from Europe, who used enslaved by noble and exalted human beings from Africa...to satisfy their desire for wealth and power, to feel better about their own miserable existence, so that they could be less lonely and empty- a European disease'

you've read My Mother? I also did, actually that's the only thing I have read by her and I guess I am not the most qualified person to talk what Kincaid is or is not but I find this mother-daughter relationship disgusting...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 18:35
Star Player

the Islands

I would have said 'rubbish humans' myself...

Well, there is a tradition of Caribbean writers who are keen to explore/explain the history of the Islands and the Americas, in general, with particular emphasis on 'rescuing' the humanity of the varied groups of Africans and Native Americans who were systematically dehumanised there for centuries.

And often this is done at the expense of those 'Europeans' and their descendants and beneficiaries, whom may or may not be in denial of the full extent of this history.

It is a particular history which many believe still shapes the Islands that have exchanged their status as former colonies to 'independent' states under the shadow of 'the Eagle'.

And hyperbolic and sweeping statements about continents and diseases is only a small part of the anger and bitterness felt and expressed while on course to coming to terms with that past and its prevalent legacies (e.g. ‘distinctive’ family ties, persistently entwined racial-social stratification, political & economic dependence etc.)

My Mother?

There is some striking imagery…
Her approach is fresh, honest and brave.
But I would be a liar if I said I understood every word of it…
I am aware of mother-daughter relationships that have inscrutable, perverse and paradoxical aspects to it and Kincaid depicts that without sparing us of the gory details (she respects us too much to do that).

And these strong feelings are not uncommon, IMHO, but is treated, in the short story form, in a way that is, maybe, unfamiliar and (thus) alienating to some.

My guess is that in some point(s) in time Kincaid must have hated the fact that she loved her mother so much that she hated her and at other times she may have hated the fact that she hated her mother so much that she hated herself...

How do you find that disgusting, luba?

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17

Quote:
People say there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers; that is wrong [(!)]

Last edited by washingtone17; April 30th, 2005 at 16:27.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 19:05
Star Player

Which is more bitter?

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17

Quote:

Last edited by washingtone17; April 24th, 2005 at 23:40.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 20:16 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Interesting. Well written, washingtone17.

you may be right. But she seems to be making everything on purpose-her angry tone, always trying to provoke the reader. maybe this is art, maybe my concepts of art are different
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 23:38
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by luba
Interesting. Well written, washingtone17.

you may be right. But she seems to be making everything on purpose-her angry tone, always trying to provoke the reader. maybe this is art, maybe my concepts of art are different
Thanks, for your comments, luba.

Sometimes, no, most-times, if you grab folks by their metaphorical топка their hearts and minds usually follow.

Do you believe artists (attempt to) convey their take on their 'reality' through their art?

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17

Quote:

Last edited by washingtone17; April 24th, 2005 at 23:56.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2005, 08:31 Thread Starter
Premier Player

In my view, everything an artist creates is a mirror image of his/her inner emotions. I used to think that artists should be the consciousness of society, creating not destroying. Now I believe that if there isn't something that destroys you from inside you won't be able to create. Selfishness controls it all.

the plural of топка is топки
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2005, 03:20
Star Player

Thanks for that grammar-tip, Luba.

And I think the топки were more proverbial than metaphorical, don't you?

(sorry about that.)

I have no fixed notions on how an artist should be in terms of their function in society.

They seem to me to be as limitless as the things a person could have for breakfast.

If I were to scrape the mud from the soles of my boots and offer it to you as breakfast (and believe me there are artists who have offered worse as art) would you probe the dish for signs of good taste and wholesome nourishment?

(I was gonna say something else but forgot as I was distracted while momentarily watching Malcolm D. Lee's Undercover Brother while typing this...)

Anyhow, I offer this quote which I dug up for you and what I found attractive once (but which now feels a bit idealistic and slightly paternalistic…)

It kinda contrasts with your post and, interestingly IMHO, with the tone of Kincaid's general approach as you described it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Angelou
My responsibility as a writer is to be good as I can be at my craft. So I study my craft. I don’t simply write what I feel, let it all hang out. That’s baloney. That’s no craft at all. Learning the craft, understating what language can do, gaining control of the language, enables one to make people weep, make them laugh, even make them go to war… The other is to be as good a human being as I possibly can be so that once I have achieved control of the language, I don’t force my weaknesses on a public that might then pick them up and abuse themselves.
Quote:
Now I believe that if there isn't something that destroys you from inside you won't be able to create. Selfishness controls it all.
The begining of that sounds like the first law of thermodynamics to me...
Why do you say that in the end?
Why/how have you reach that conclusion?

Soon Come-Kachifo
washingtone17

Quote:

Last edited by washingtone17; May 1st, 2005 at 00:39.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2005, 13:53 Thread Starter
Premier Player

no need to be sorry, I feel okay with any kind of топки.

there are some things for breakfast nobody can reject

to answer your question - no, I wouldn't. Just because I don't encourage any pervert attempts in any sphere.

you are excused for being absent-minded this time

thanks for the quote, seems like this lady takes art very professionally

wouldn't you agree that selfishness is the reason why people still exist? Why do people want to maximize their profit-because this gives them the great feeling of might and importance. Why do people fall in love - because they have love they need to give to someone. People do good things, charity, because this makes them feel good. The same with art-if an artist was happy and content with life they would go out and enjoy themselves and not stay isolated and contemplating. Works created in such a way got strength, the strength of misery.

Just a theory, and it's a theory that we shouldn't delve into for too long... for security measures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in