Conor McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov - Page 3 - Xtratime Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 16:26
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahzeL View Post
With all due respect, this is complete nonsense. At the prime of Georges St. Pierre people expressing that kind of opinions were laughed about. Now people heard about that Irishman and judge a sport based on a handful of fights.
I just presented what I see as someone that dont follow this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 16:48
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Well, regardless of the post-fight brawl disaster, it was an entertaining event overall. The fight made it to the 4th round. No 1st or 2nd round KOs or submissions. Both guys were aggressive from the get go. Moving forward most of the time. Connor threw in some good strikes and Khabib threw a few good strikes of his own. Obvious sht talking during the match, smile by Connor near the end of the 1st, a slap at one point by Khabib out of anger. Eventually Khabib's grapple/ground game took over. eventually. The post-fight brawl might have been a bit of a surprise, it was provoked but perhaps it was just a $$$ move by Khabib to grant him a future rematch and more fights? Money is more important than the fight itself in combat sports. The press conferences never disappoint.
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 17:08
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

The Russian was really hacking away at McGregor.

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 17:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
Khabib obviously the more personable fighter with the humble demeanor, McGregor is the one better at the theatrics and promotion, it was a clash of different styles, ultimately Khabib's superior ground game is what won it comfortably for him. I prefer McGregor's striking style, but it's always nice when a loudmouth gets taken down a notch.

It was a good fight, not sure what people expected, this is what an MMA fight is about. McGregor did well to defend a lot of the takedowns, but Khabib's relentlessness and technical ability on the mat is what counted.

It's just that MMA favours good wrestlers a lot, the smart money will always be on the fighter with the better ground game.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 18:32
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Quote:
What? How is it not a sport?
Because it is just brawling. Call it street fighting or whatever but it is not a sport.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 19:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
Because it is just brawling. Call it street fighting or whatever but it is not a sport.
Why are tennis players athletes, but MMA fighters aren't? By what criteria do you not consider them so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 19:46
Premier Player

i hope the caucasian psychos hanging around kabib take it a step further and kill McGregor. It would be a good laugh to see the fallout.
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 19:56
TTM
Legend

The rumor was that McLeprechaun was going to convert to Islam if he lost

Ding ding ding da ding da ding ding ding
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 20:40
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
Why are tennis players athletes, but MMA fighters aren't? By what criteria do you not consider them so?
Everyone can brawl. Not everyone can run fast (your earlier example) or play other sports that require actual skills.

Even a boxer needs to have certain skills, a brawler does not.

I have absolutely no problem with people wanting to watch two adults fight with each other for no other reason than entertaining the crowd. However that has nothing to do with sports.

Even Wrestling (the WWE stuff, not greco-roman or freestyle) requires more skills and it's no sports.

post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 20:48
TTM
Legend

"certain skills"? I gather you have never boxed Tiger
pele10brazil likes this.

Ding ding ding da ding da ding ding ding
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 21:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

@Tigerheart Wtf is that logic mate? Everyone can run, or play any sport for that matter. It's just that the elite are called professional athletes. Your logic applies to every single sport out there. Or do you somehow think you can beat a UFC fighter on a good day? Do a bit research to see how much these guys train to hone their skills.

Quote:
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 21:03
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
Everyone can brawl. Not everyone can run fast (your earlier example) or play other sports that require actual skills.

Even a boxer needs to have certain skills, a brawler does not.

I have absolutely no problem with people wanting to watch two adults fight with each other for no other reason than entertaining the crowd. However that has nothing to do with sports.

Even Wrestling (the WWE stuff, not greco-roman or freestyle) requires more skills and it's no sports.
That's quite an uninformed opinion, especially surprising coming from you. Khabib for example has done martial arts for more than 25 years. These people are taking the best aspects from different types of decades old martial arts to become the best fighters possible. Most of the elite guys have been doing it for their whole lives.

All of them would absolutely demolish their counter parts from the boxing world. It would be no contest at all. It has nothing to do with brawling.

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 21:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
All of them would absolutely demolish their counter parts from the boxing world. It would be no contest at all. It has nothing to do with brawling.
Ray Mercer though!

Quote:

post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 21:37
Premier Player

Boxing and MMA are different sports, talking about demolishing counterparts is almost as stupid as saying it's all just brawling.
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 22:16
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM View Post
"certain skills"? I gather you have never boxed Tiger
Well, footwork for example. None needed in brawling.

post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 22:22
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
@Tigerheart Wtf is that logic mate? Everyone can run, or play any sport for that matter. It's just that the elite are called professional athletes. Your logic applies to every single sport out there. Or do you somehow think you can beat a UFC fighter on a good day? Do a bit research to see how much these guys train to hone their skills.
I wouldn't beat them, of course not. But I bet you that someone from outside of UFC can beat them. You don't have anyone outrunning a professional 100m runner or beat a professional tennis player when you are from outside that particular sport.

You want an example? Brock Lesnar. He came from outside brawling (WWE wrestling) and won UFC matches. Big deal...

post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 22:26
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
That's quite an uninformed opinion, especially surprising coming from you. Khabib for example has done martial arts for more than 25 years. These people are taking the best aspects from different types of decades old martial arts to become the best fighters possible. Most of the elite guys have been doing it for their whole lives.

I could copy and paste the same answer I just wrote to pele. And just for the record, I am not a boxing fan and I don't see what you are trying to compare here. Are you saying a brawler will beat a boxer in a brawl? Wow, big surprise. Or are you saying a brawler will beat a boxer in a proper boxing fight? Because that is definitely not going to happen.

Again, I already gave an example of an amateur just joining the brawling world for fun and actually winning.

post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 22:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Oh, btw, just one more small thing. In case some of you think I have no respect for the brawlers, that is not true. I respect them being fearless and don't have a problem with pain. Maybe dedication to training, unless illegal substances are involved. But that's it. Still not considering it a sport.

post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2018, 23:16
Star Player

Khabib ftw . I don't really condone what he did nor do I hold it against him. Us EE folk do have short fuses dealing with personal incidents (the spitting part had me dying after he choked him out LOL). Conor had it coming. During the pre-fight press conferences Khabib conducted himself like a true pro, but he did insinuate what will happen come fight night. No fake ass handshakes etc.

Btw, did anyone catch Dana mention to Conor after the fight "He's (Khabib) ****ing nuts"

With all said and done, all publicity is good publicity. I bet some WWE fans got a real kick out of this event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abedi View Post
Boxing and MMA are different sports, talking about demolishing counterparts is almost as stupid as saying it's all just brawling.
Ain't that the truth

I would say though that majority of mma fighters do lack proper conditioning compared to boxers. Whenever I see mma guys trying to crossover and spar with boxers, they are huffing and puffing only after a couple of rounds. It's embarrassing to say the least. It goes without saying this would be the very first thing I'd be trying to implement if I was to get into mma. While Tiger is completely in the wrong here, I can see why people can see it that way. Still a fallacy to assume it's just brawling lol

Forget brawling when you can maul with bears for fun not even by age 10
[TUB]mjfOeLQG9-M[/TUB]
Yashimi Nakitu likes this.
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2018, 01:34
Premier Player

Teams: Bosnia NT, Man City
Speaking of double standards the guys who jumped Conor are fighters in the ufc and will most likely get cut. But Artem Lobov (Conor's little bitch) is with Conor when he attacks that bus Khabib was on and he gets to stay in the ufc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in