LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 04:21 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Friendly: Spain - Bulgaria

International Friendly Preview: Spain v Bulgaria
Spain - Bulgaria | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Back after two years...Borimirov (L) in action against Leeds (Reuters)
11/19/2002.
BACKGROUND

Bulgaria should be in excellent spirits when they take on Spain in an international friendly on Wednesday as they have enjoyed a superb start to their Euro 2004 qualification campaign.

Plamen Markov's re-invigorated side followed up a 3-0 beating of Belgium in their opponent's own backyard with a very tidy 2-0 home win over Croatia, to restore some much needed pride back into Bulgarian football following their failure to qualify for both the last European Championships and World Cup.

Spain have also enjoyed an encouraging start to their quest to take part in the big show in Portugal by managing to get the better of Greece away (2-0) and making short work of North Ireland at home (3-0).
Getting there has never been the problem though, but that opens a whole other can of worms that we won't get into in this article.

Spanish coach Inaki Saez made Athletic Club Bilbao's Joseba Exteberria a happy man by issuing him his first invite to the national squad since September 2001. There was also a recall for Valencia keeper Santiago Canizares due to dropping a bottle of aftershave on his foot while at the pre-tournament training-camp. One notable absentee will be Real Betis starlet Joaquín, who has been left out due to a minor injury.
Bulgaria will be without their influential skipper, 36-year-old VfB Stuttgart star Krassimir Balakov, who has been granted a request be rested for the game. Veteran Cherno More goalkeeper Zdravko Zdravkov will take over the captain's armband in Balakov's absence. The big news in the Bulgarian papers, however, has centred around the return to the national side of 1860 München midfielder Daniel Borimirov, who has done an about-face on his decision to retire from the international scene.
SQUADS

Spain: Canizares, Casillas, Michel Salgado, Bravo, Helguera, Puyol (Barcelona) Marchena, Mendieta, Xavi, Baraja, Vicente, Albelda, Capi, Joaquin, Capdevila, Guti, Tristan, Jose Mari.

Bulgaria: Zdravkov, Kolev, Kishishev, Kirilov, Zagorcic, G Petrov, Stoianov, Petkov, Stilian Petrov, Borimirov, Yanchev, Svetoslav Petrov, Peev, Berbatov, Manchev, Todorov, Dimitrov, Chilikov, M Petrov.

soccerage

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
We are down 0-1 in the first half Jose MAri 10min.

The squad:

Zdravkov
Kishishev
Kirilov
Ivailo Petkov
georgi Petrov
Peev
Stilian Petrov
Dani Borimirov
Martin Petrov
Manchev
B'rb't'v

I sthat a 3-4-3 or I am blind ...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

topsport.bg says Spain is better. We made the first real attack in 29th min or so

Since then one dangerous corner and cople of good thing from Marto ... still 1-0 spain around 40th min 1st half!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

43' Guti just hit the post with a header ... still 1-0!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

HT ... still 1-0!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 22:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

2nd half ... Still 1--0!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 22:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

60' Zdravkov saved a very dangerous one from Tristan ... still 1-0!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 22:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

70' Petkov, Peev and Stanli are out - in come Svetlio Petrov, Ilian Stoianov and Velizar the big shot Dimitrov ... still 1-0 ...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 22:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

OVER!! and it stayed ... YES, you are right - 1-0 !

I gues thats a good result!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2002, 03:22 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Wednesday, November 20, 2002
Full-time: Spain v Bulgaria
Soccernet.com

GRANADA, Spain, Nov 20 (Reuters) - An early goal from recalled striker Jose Mari proved enough to give Spain a 1-0 victory over Bulgaria in a fast paced but ultimately disappointing friendly international on Wednesday.

Jose Mari, making his second international appearance in place of rested forward Raul, scored his first goal for Spain 10 minutes into a game played in driving rain in Granada.

Valencia winger Vicente was the architect, playing a one-two with his clubmate Ruben Baraja to give Jose Mari a simple finish from 10 metres.

Guti and Baraja both then went close with headers and Jose Mari looked unfortunate not to win a penalty, the Atletico Madrid forward taking a pass from Guti and going down in the box under challenge from Ivailo Petkov.

Bulgaria, who like Spain went into the game with a 100 percent record in qualifying for Euro 2004, were overwhelmed by the home side's urgency in the opening quarter of an hour.

Plamen Markov's side managed to put a brake on Spain's careering forward play around the midpoint of the first half, though, and the game suffered as a result.

Gaizka Mendieta set up Guti with a deft freekick at the end of the first half but the Real Madrid forward's header struck the post.

Spain continued pressing forward but despite lively performances from Vicente and later Joseba Etxeberria on the wings they created few clear chances and there were no further goals.

Bulgaria had just one good opportunity in the entire game, Spanish goalkeeper Iker Casillas saving well from a Daniel Borimirov header.

'There were good phases for us in the game and we created the chances to gain a much better result,' Spain coach Inaki Saez told Spanish state television after the game.

'We didn't quite find the finishing touch. I'm happy with the way we played throughout the game, though. We were in control.'

soccernet

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in