Stan is leaving Parkhead! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2002, 17:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Stan is leaving Parkhead!

Stilian Petrov, the fabulous midefielder of Bulgarian NT and Celtic is said to leave the club after his cotract runs out! He turned down a new offer ...

Sunday Mail has publis an exculsive intevew and a big Pic on his back page!!!

Here it is:

www.sundaymail.co.uk

I HAVE TO QUIT CELTIC Oct 11 2002

Fed-up Petrov is off after snubbing club's offer

Mark Guidi Exclusive

STILIAN PETROV will walk out of Celtic on a Bosman when his contract expires.

The Bulgarian midfielder has rejected a new five-year deal worth about Ł3.75million.

Despite a year of negotiations the contract offered would still have left him on less than half the amount earned by the top Hoops stars.

Martin O'Neill and the board have tried desperately in the past 48 hours to change Petrov's mind - but he is not going back on his decision.

Speaking exclusively to MailSport Stilian said: "I have had sleepless nights thinking this over. I haven't been at peace with myself for three years over my financial situation and it had to stop.

"What I asked for was realistic given my contribution to the team in the last three seasons. I am not being greedy.

"It is time to stand up for myself and I am not going back on this decision no matter what Celtic do."

Petrov's stance means the Parkhead side could lose a player worth around Ł9m for nothing when he leaves under freedom of contract.

The club may try to punt him but Stilian - one of the lowest paid stars at the club - is adamant he will be going nowhere before his contract expires.

Leaving would be a wrench but the time had come to make a stand - and he insisted he had the backing of his team- mates.

Petrov said: "I couldn't keep signing contracts that weren't what I wanted.

"I had to settle this once and for all. I wanted a new deal that would have kept me happy for three or four years or else sign nothing and see out my present contract. I have decided on the latter.

"It is a risk but it's something I must do. I have a wife and there's a baby on the way and I must do what is right for them.

"I'd be letting them down if I signed the contract I was offered. Any man in my position would have done the same.

"I respect the club's offer and if they think that is all I'm worth then it is up to them.

"They have a business to run but I hope they accept my decision.

"I wish they had made an acceptable offer because I love Celtic and living in Glasgow. My wife loves it here and we have made good friends.

"That's another couple of reasons that made my decision so hard. My team- mates have also told me they'll respect my position because they understand the situation.

"It was time for me to tell the truth. Hopefully this will clear everything up and bring an end to myself and the manager being asked questions about my situation.

"There is nothing more to ask anymore. The talks are over."

At present Petrov earns around a quarter of the likes of top earners same as Henrik Larsson, Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon and his current deal expires in 2005. MailSport understands the new terms offered would only have lifted Petrov up beside the middle- earners at Parkhead. :fero:

Stan insisted his decision will not stop him giving 100 per cent to the team.

He vowed to continue to contribute to the success of the club the way he has done since arriving from CSKA Sofia for Ł2.2m in summer 1999.

Stilian said: "I will give my best for Celtic, I always have. I feel I have been underpaid for the past two or three years yet it hasn't stopped me giving my all and getting praise from the manager and supporters.

"I have returned from a broken leg and played with a broken hand a couple of weeks ago against Blackburn Rovers, so my commitment should never be in any doubt. THE MAN!!!

"I genuinely love this club and I wanted to stay. If thay had made me the right offer I would have been delighted and proud to have signed for a further five years."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2002, 17:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

And mor efrom sport mail ...

FOR the past 12 months all Stilian Petrov wanted was a contract to keep him at Celtic for at least five years as the club targeted seven titles in a row.

The Bulgarian has no doubt Martin O'Neill can build on his two successive SPL crowns and continue to dominate Scottish football.

But even if the Hoops' dreams come true, Petrov won't be around to celebrate.

The midfielder will leave on a Bosman when his current contract expires after the failure of a year-long round of talks aimed at thrashing out an acceptable new deal.

Stilian might still be at Parkhead for any five-in-a-row party - but the bottom line is Celtic have blown it and now stand to lose a Ł9million asset for NOWT.

Yet the 23-year-old captain of his national side gave the club plenty chances to reward him properly for the contribution he has made to the success of the team since O'Neill arrived in summer 2000.

Petrov has been easy to deal with in the past and has accepted a weekly wage well below his worth.

Despite being one of the first names on O'Neill's team-sheet every week he is one of the bottom three earners in the first- team squad, on around Ł6,000 a week.

The Celtic paymasters obviously thought Stan would be a pushover yet again. But they didn't bargain on the player holding out for what he was worth.

He has knocked back their latest offer - a five-year deal worth about Ł3.75m - which many felt was once again bordering on derisory in some areas.

O'Neill has urged Petrov to change his mind but the player's mind is made up. From his point of view Celtic don't deserve another chance. Stilian told MailSport: "From a playing point of view Celtic offers me everything I want.

"We are a huge club that win trophies regularly and compete in Europe every season. We play in front of 60,000 fans every other week and they make it a pleasure to be a part of this club.

"But at this stage of my career I must consider my financial situation carefully and do what is right for myself and my family.

I would also have loved to have gone on and become captain. That would have been a special honour.

"I will not criticise Celtic for us not agreeing a new contract and would never be cheeky or disrespectful towards them.

"They are a business and have to make decisions that are best for the club just like I have to decide what is best for me. In my case, I will leave on a Bosman when my current contract expires.

Petrov's decision has not been an easy one. But he has made a stand and the years of neglect from the club on and off the park have finally taken their toll.

He will now go on to pocket a lucrative deal when he starts talking to interested clubs in January 2005. The salary he will command then will more than make up for his lack of earnings at Parkhead.

Stilian said: "It was tempting to take what was on offer and enjoy more money because I am one of the lowest paid first-team players.

"The fact I'm willing to stick to my beliefs and not take more money shows how strongly I feel.

"If I had accepted that offer, a few months from now I would have regretted taking the short- term gain and been angry with myself for not looking to four or five years further down the line.

"Since I joined I've put up with a lot of things that made me unhappy and I've been through a lot of problems with the language and adapting to a new culture.

"I was only 19 when I arrived here and the club could have done much more to help me settle in and feel a part of it all.

"But I never complained in public and always hoped they'd come good.

"I thought this contract was the right time to do that. I think I deserved something that would have made me happy. I wasn't too excited about the last two contracts I signed for Celtic and I couldn't go on like that any more.

"The fact they were willing to make me an offer is proof they think I deserved more.

"People have said to me I will end up depressed and unable to concentrate on my football

"I don't agree. I am a strong character and will always enjoy playing for Celtic. It will not be a problem to stay on this wage for the next two and a half years.

"I will continue to improve by learning from the manager, the coaching staff and my team-mates."

Petrov stressed his decision had nothing to do with the uncertainty surrounding O'Neill's own future.

He said: "People might think I'm doing this because I want to join Martin if he leaves but that is not the case. Like I said, I am staying until the end of my contract then take it from there." Even if O'Neill leaves and a new boss comes in desperate to secure Petrov on a long- term contract, the player insists his stance will not change.

But for the short term he hopes the Celtic chiefs respect his decision and continue to treat him like a valued member of the team.

Stilian said: "I hope the club won't make my life difficult or drop me from the first team because I have still a lot to offer.

"My commitment has never been, and never will be, in doubt. I will continue to give 100 per cent in every game or training session.

"It is not like I'm asking for a transfer and desperate to leave. All I'm doing is using my right to consider any options I might have when my contract expires."

Petrov has the potential to play for any top club in Europe and there will be a rush to nab him by the dominant forces in England, Italy and Spain.

As things stand just now it looks like Celtic will regret not giving this valuable asset due care and attention.

And they have only themselves to blame.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2002, 18:31 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Apparantly, there are new developments ... todays BG press says! Stan and Celtic might go back to the table as O'Neil is pushing for it ...

GET HIM WHAT HE DESERVES!!! BE PROUD ... CELTIC!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2002, 14:40
waq
Star Player

Teams: Galatasaray
Maybe he should come to Galatasaray.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2002, 17:02
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by waq
Maybe he should come to Galatasaray.
Go Get Him Then
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2002, 17:06
Premier Player

About Stenli:
He deserves more for sure and I absolutely support him in his decision.He has given so much to this club -I can't help wondering about their policy
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2002, 19:00
Rising Star

Teams: Celtic De Glasgow, Athletic Club, FC St Pauli.
He's going nowhere folks!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2002, 19:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Duno baby ... look at that! Otherwise, you better give him a decent salary for all the efforts that he is making for you ...

Inter Linked With Petrov Move
Latest News | News Archive

11/19/2002. Inter are being linked with a January move for Celtic's Stilian Petrov.

The chances of them signing Santiago Solari from Real Madrid don't look promising as the player has always stated his desire to stay with the Merengues.

Petrov, meanwhile, has become unsettled at Celtic, and the club could decide to accept a player-plus-cash deal in the transfer

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 18:33
Rising Star

All hearsay mate his agent just trying to get him a better deal by banding his name about.

He deserves a rise but 15k p/w in the current financial climate is something that cannot be knocked back!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Current fiancial climate ??? What abot the salaries of Larson (Ok he deserves it) and the likes of Sutton

Anyway, the last news was that Tothnam will offer 6 mln at the winetr break!

I dont wanna see Stan leaving Seltics as I love your team ... but look at the money he gets for being one of the best an dmost consistent player there for good two years ...

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 21:26
Rising Star

I do understand he needs a rise I support that but at times in big games he disappears, I don't kno how often you seen Celtic, but Sutton is of much more value to the team.

Also 6m is derisory and would be turned down flat. With Kleberson on the way Stan might have to push himself a lot harder.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2002, 11:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

That Sutton is of much more value for Celtic comes as a huge surprise for me. I am not saying I dont agree. I am not following Celtic so much. From all teh things I have read it is Stan who delivers all the time and deffinitely in bog games as I believe he has scored more goals in the Old Firm teh last few years than anyone else apart from Larson.

I for one will never forget one of teh games last year finished 1-1 and Stan scored teh Celtic goal in the midst of teh 1st half. I was in NY at taht time and a fellow Scotish frienf of mine (a Hibs fan) took me at 7 in morning one to the Scotish/Irish pub on 86th Street Upper West Side to watch the game. It was a great feeling. Crowded with celtic fans most of whom were drinking the whole night it seemed. I was still sleepy when I found a huge mug of beer in my hand. Dont know where it came from then I was singing along with the Celtic guys and when Stan scored my dfriend told them I am Bulgarian and everyone started "Cheers mate" and taking pictures and all that stuf ... that was a great feeling. I was really proud besides I have always rooted for Celtic ... Then I bought a Tshirt of the NY Celtic fan club. Still have it of course. Nice Sat morning it was ...

Last edited by bono; November 28th, 2002 at 11:44.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2002, 01:34
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by bono
That Sutton is of much more value for Celtic comes as a huge surprise for me. I am not saying I dont agree. I am not following Celtic so much. From all teh things I have read it is Stan who delivers all the time and deffinitely in bog games as I believe he has scored more goals in the Old Firm teh last few years than anyone else apart from Larson.

I for one will never forget one of teh games last year finished 1-1 and Stan scored teh Celtic goal in the midst of teh 1st half. I was in NY at taht time and a fellow Scotish frienf of mine (a Hibs fan) took me at 7 in morning one to the Scotish/Irish pub on 86th Street Upper West Side to watch the game. It was a great feeling. Crowded with celtic fans most of whom were drinking the whole night it seemed. I was still sleepy when I found a huge mug of beer in my hand. Dont know where it came from then I was singing along with the Celtic guys and when Stan scored my dfriend told them I am Bulgarian and everyone started "Cheers mate" and taking pictures and all that stuf ... that was a great feeling. I was really proud besides I have always rooted for Celtic ... Then I bought a Tshirt of the NY Celtic fan club. Still have it of course. Nice Sat morning it was ...
Don't get me wrong mate I want Stan to stay desperately he just needs to be a bit more patient, smashing player tho! Glad you enjoyed yer wee pub visit with the Celtic fans in NY!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2002, 12:17
Premier Player

I think that he won't leave .But you'll have to make a much better offer.I have always got the impression that he's an important player for your team and such players should not be lost in that way
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2002, 13:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Actually, I think he will. probably not right away (thats also possible) but next summer. I think Stan realizes that he cant get any better there with all respect to Celtic and Scotish football. if Celtic and rangers do not move to EPL (highly unlikely) there is simply no future for yuoung rising stars ... outside the 4 to 6 Derbies and Euro games everything else is just not serious enough. If he moves to EPL (everthon adn Chelsea said to be interested) then he will have 1 or 2 decent level games a week. Same applies to the other big 3 championships.
Dont get me wrong - I like Celtic and I am very happy that Bulgarian plays there but I think he will soon move.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2002, 17:08
Premier Player

I agree with you,Bono,but I still think that if he gets a decent offer from Celtik he would prefer to stay in this club........I don't know......after all this the attitude towards him may change in the wrong direction
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2002, 17:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

luba!
IS THAT YOU? Lovely ...

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2002, 16:45
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by bono
luba!
IS THAT YOU? Lovely ...
Me myself and I
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2002, 17:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

LOVELY!!!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 16:05
Premier Player

Thank you very much , Bono!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in